Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > Software Solutions

Software Solutions Discussions on Traveller related software.

Old October 19th, 2003, 08:39 PM
Marquis

Gallery : 9
Visit robject's Blog
robject has disabled reputation
Yah, MySQL isn't one's choice for a full-function database. It works okay, though. It's what I've been hacking with lately.

I figure PostgreSQL is a stronger DB. Not sure how much stronger -- except it's got rollbacks or something like that. Much more recoverable than MySQL. That's what I've heard anyway.

Of course, Oracle or DB2 are the Big Boys.
Tools Link
Old October 20th, 2003, 05:35 AM
Count

Gallery : 0
Visit Hemdian's Blog
Hemdian Citizen+Hemdian Citizen+
Quote:
Originally posted by kaladorn:
Is it Universe that's using the Borland Powerbase (I think that's it) db? (I think we had a conversation at one point about DB Triggers being missing in mySQL)
Universe was developed to use InterBase (by Borland). One of my beta testers reported it also works with Firebird (not surprisingly as Firebird was branched from InterBase). And I'm tinkering with including support for MS SQL Server 7 (aka MSDE 1.0). At a later stage I might even include support for Oracle. Universe was designed internally to allow flexibility in this area.

Regards PLST

Hemdian's Law of Ubiquity: If it's likely to be ubiquitous, then having a code is counter-productive.
William Durrant:
- Duke William Durrant of Patu (Core 0637)
- Count of Shakiiga (Core 2938)
- TAS Membership (named) - Patu (Core 0637)
Peter LS Trevor:
- Sir Peter LS Trevor of Yori (Spin 2110)
- Knight of the Domain of Deneb - Yori (Spin 2110)
- MCG (The Pursuits At Knorbes)
- TAS Membership (named) - Yori (Spin 2110)

- Dr Sir Peter LS Trevor of Yori (Exobiologist)
... Hephaestus Mission
(Others):
- Marquis of Piram (Dene 2116)
- Baron of L'Sis (Dene 0409), Mongo (Spin 1204), Knorbes (Spin 1807), Cabrini (Dene 0319)
- Knight of Marfa (Mass 2001), Alard (Forn 2307), Mora (Spin 3124)
- TAS Membership - Yllya (Forn 0705), Floinn (Forn 1034), Lysio (Corr 0815)
- Fifth Captain of the Imperial Guard - Sylea (Core 2118)
- SEH (The Pursuits At Alell)
- Commander (Lt Coronel) - HQ, 3rd Squadron (Lift Cavalry) - 4518th Lift Infantry Regiment
- Chief Astrogator (Lieutenant) BR Iirba - BR154
IMTU: ct+ tm++ tn t4 t5++ tg t20 th mgt ru+ ge+ 3i+ c++ jt- au ls-- pi+ ta he
Old October 20th, 2003, 10:47 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 2
Visit tjoneslo's Blog
tjoneslo Citizen+tjoneslo Citizen+tjoneslo Citizen+
Quote:
Originally posted by Hemdian:
At a later stage I might even include support for Oracle. Universe was designed internally to allow flexibility in this area.

Regards PLST
I've looked through the DB schema you are using, and a port to Oracle would be a relatively trivial matter.
Marquis Hysyl - Hysyl (Deneb 2425)
Baron Regina - Regina (Spinward Marches 1910)
TAS member - Vipan (Empty Quarter 1038)
Be part of the Traveller history:http://wiki.travellerrpg.com/Main_Page
Old October 20th, 2003, 12:22 PM

kaladorn Citizen
I was thinking of a feature I'd *really* like to see (and it'd be relatively easy to code) in these software tools.

Given that they produce maps, and Universe produces (IMO) quite beautiful ones, I'd love to see them create an image map file (or at least a vertex list) to go with them.

Here is an example:

</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">&lt;html&gt;
&lt;head&gt;
&lt;title&gt;
Image Map Test
&lt;/title&gt;
&lt;/head&gt;
&lt;body&gt;
&lt;h1&gt;Spinward Marches Sector&lt;/h1&gt;
&lt;p&gt;
&lt;map name=&quot;TestMap&quot;&gt;
&lt;area href=&quot;sm_1511_tionale.html&quot; shape=&quot;polygon&quot; coords=&quot;601,480, 630,480, 643,504, 630,528, 601,528, 589,504, 601,480&quot;&gt;
&lt;area href=&quot;sm_1711_extolay.html&quot; shape=&quot;polygon&quot; coords=&quot;686,480, 714,480, 727,504, 714,528, 686,528, 674,504, 686,480&quot;&gt;
&lt;area href=&quot;sm_1910_regina.html&quot; shape=&quot;polygon&quot; coords=&quot;770,432, 799,432, 811,456, 799,480, 770,480, 758,456, 770,432&quot;&gt;
&lt;/map&gt;
&lt;img border=&quot;0&quot; src=&quot;sm.gif&quot; usemap=&quot;#TestMap&quot;&gt;
&lt;/p&gt;
&lt;/body&gt;
&lt;/html&gt; </pre>[/QUOTE]This is only partial, and relies upon the particular map image in question.

What does this do? It essentially makes each hex a 'hotspot' on the image. What's it for? If you ever want to post your sector designs or detail your campaign area on the web (even if it is only an intranet for your players), this is phenominally useful - the ability to have a map hex link to another set of html pages is huge.

What's the stopper? Well, doing it manually, as I have done, means using an image editor to locate the six vertices of the system hex. ARGH! (If you try it for a sector, you'll see why ARGH!)

Yet each and evey utility that draws these must locate the points in order to draw the GIF or JPEG in the first place! If they'd then export the vertex list (or better yet, be unlazy enough to spend the extra few lines on making a working image map), that would be a huge asset.

Note the format I took above for naming the subpages (if you wanted to generate skeletal subpages for a sector, that would be easy too...) - "sector name" underscore "hex location" underscore "system name". (Again, all things the software knows).

Is something like this feasible? It'd be a great asset for web-ifying one's universe development.
"Tell them, that from this place we will deliver notice to the parliaments of conquerors that a line has been drawn against the darkness. And we will hold that line, .. no matter the cost." -- Cpt. Sheridan "The Long, Twilight Struggle"
Old October 23rd, 2003, 06:21 AM
Count

Visit Hemdian's Blog
Quote:
Originally posted by kaladorn:
Given that they produce maps, and Universe produces (IMO) quite beautiful ones, I'd love to see them create an image map file (or at least a vertex list) to go with them.

&lt;snip&gt;

Is something like this feasible? It'd be a great asset for web-ifying one's universe development.
The way the program is coded this should be relatively easy to add for both sector and subsector maps. In fact, if I have time, I may put this out as a patch later this year, rather than make people wait for Release 2.

Regards PLST

Hemdian's Law of Ubiquity: If it's likely to be ubiquitous, then having a code is counter-productive.
William Durrant:
Peter LS Trevor:

... Hephaestus Mission
(Others):
- Baron of L'Sis (Dene 0409), Mongo (Spin 1204), Knorbes (Spin 1807), Cabrini (Dene 0319)
- Commander (Lt Coronel) - HQ, 3rd Squadron (Lift Cavalry) - 4518th Lift Infantry Regiment
Old October 23rd, 2003, 06:56 AM
Count

Visit Hemdian's Blog
Quote:
Originally posted by tjoneslo:
I've looked through the DB schema you are using, and a port to Oracle would be a relatively trivial matter.
By design. I've tried to keep everything as standard as possible for just this reason.

(Note that the ER diagram and SQL scripts on the website are a minor version out of date. I'll be updating it at the end of ext week.)

Regards PLST

William Durrant:
Peter LS Trevor:

... Hephaestus Mission
(Others):
Old October 23rd, 2003, 01:02 PM
Count

Visit Hemdian's Blog
Just to keep everyone here in the loop: I now have agreement in principle for Universe to be sold internationally via Gnometrader (in addition to the BITS stand at conventions). Unfortuneately for the past week Andy and I have been playing telephone tag with each others answer machines, otherwise this would be a done deal by now. Expect an anouncement on the Gnometrader website this weekend and sales to start by next weekend.

Regards PLST

William Durrant:
Peter LS Trevor:

... Hephaestus Mission
(Others):
Old October 23rd, 2003, 01:47 PM

kaladorn Citizen
I know this isn't a commercial ad site, but would you mind terribly posting an update at least to this thread once things are ' a go '. (maybe, as an assist, an URL for gnome trader so people don't have to demonstrate their Google-fu also).

This is of general interest to this community, so I'm sure it would be acceptable. (Just 'Yes, it's now a go, you can get Universe on CD here - URL)
"Tell them, that from this place we will deliver notice to the parliaments of conquerors that a line has been drawn against the darkness. And we will hold that line, .. no matter the cost." -- Cpt. Sheridan "The Long, Twilight Struggle"
Old October 23rd, 2003, 04:52 PM

Gallery : 2
Visit tjoneslo's Blog
tjoneslo Citizen+tjoneslo Citizen+tjoneslo Citizen+
Quote:
Originally posted by Hemdian:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by tjoneslo:
By design. I've tried to keep everything as standard as possible for just this reason.
Regards PLST
</font>[/QUOTE]Let me caveat that. After completing a major SQLServer-&gt; Oracle VB port, the difficult part wasn't the database. It was making sure the SQL statments in the code were acceptable to the DB. And this is where it can bite hard.

That and getting the ODBC drivers to work for the Oracle database properly.
Marquis Hysyl - Hysyl (Deneb 2425)
Baron Regina - Regina (Spinward Marches 1910)
TAS member - Vipan (Empty Quarter 1038)
Be part of the Traveller history:http://wiki.travellerrpg.com/Main_Page
Old October 24th, 2003, 01:56 AM

kaladorn Citizen
As somebody who helped re-engineer some DB related network software and refit a POS system running across Canada with newer tech, yes, you've hit it right on the head.

Oracle has a lot of funky SQL support that is....kinda unique. And most DB's have their own twists. And sometimes going A to B is... fugly.

And don't even talk to me about the damned ODBC drivers... how many of those did we try? (and JDBC as another joy).

If you stick to vanilla SQL, it's usually *mostly* portable...