Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Agent of the Imperium

Agent of the Imperium Discussion of Marc Miller's Novel, Agent of the Imperium.

Old December 23rd, 2015, 03:12 PM
Noble

Gallery : 0
mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint View Post
Not to mention something seriously different from the "official" TL progression...

D.
This thread may contain spoilers - so say what you have spotted

What this little vignette tells me is that TL12+computer networks can achieve full sentience, but that measures are usually put in place to stop such breakouts since they are invariably unstable. Deliberate engineering of stable artificial sentience is still TL16/17 (depends on the TL scale you use) but it can happen unintentionally at lower points on the TL scale.

Last edited by mike wightman; December 23rd, 2015 at 03:23 PM..
Old December 23rd, 2015, 04:55 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Visit Matt123's Blog
Matt123 Citizen+Matt123 Citizen+

The self replicating robots were interesting, high tech but likely from absorbing knowledge from previous encounters. This spawning (correct word?) had not discovered jump drives, but others may have. Would human adventurers or Vargr stand off and maintain an airgap? Or would they try to obtain artefacts...

One possible give away that you might be looking at a self-replicating robot artefact is the layering construction process described, similar to 3d printers. This may leave obvious layering marks in the artefact.
Old December 23rd, 2015, 06:41 PM
Baronet

Quint Citizen+Quint Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike wightman View Post
This thread may contain spoilers - so say what you have spotted

What this little vignette tells me is that TL12+computer networks can achieve full sentience, but that measures are usually put in place to stop such breakouts since they are invariably unstable. Deliberate engineering of stable artificial sentience is still TL16/17 (depends on the TL scale you use) but it can happen unintentionally at lower points on the TL scale.
Much the same, the TL~12 Rogue AI is the most obvious non-Canon TL issue. I had already come up with a similar "explain-away" as you did - though given that I tend to prefer AI's at lower tech levels I'm not sure I'd bother. The other might simply explaining via scale - you can't build AI in human sized units until ~TL16 - which leads to the other somewhat glaring examples...

The not just pseudo-biological robots but the incredibly convincing pseudobiological robots. These seem far more advanced that AB-101...

The universe seems to have lots more TL16+ societies out there than just Daryen and Sabm... (however you spell it). Now, given the MT can get you a planet up to 20 (not sure about T5, never bothered to figure it out) this isn't exactly a surprise, but it still seems at strong odds with the Known Space as presented in the game (vs the book).

D.
IMTU aka "Traveller 2200" = tp++ tc+ mt+ mgt+ tne-- !3i he+
Old December 23rd, 2015, 07:03 PM
Vice Administrator

Gallery : 1
Visit Cryton's Blog
Cryton has disabled reputation
Send a message via Skype™ to Cryton

Keep in mind guys, in T5 (Mr Millers "Cannon" rule-set) you can have things that are listed at higher TLs at MUCH earlier TLs as prototypes.

That said, there is a LOT more flexibility in the TL progression chart than you might think...

~Cryton

Richard Ricker, Baron of the 3I since 2010 Duke since 2016
Baron of Spirelle
Spin 1927 Spirelle C766846-8
Duke of D'Artur
Dagu 0924 D'Artur AAE7443-E
Old December 23rd, 2015, 08:29 PM
Baronet

Quint Citizen+Quint Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryton View Post
Keep in mind guys, in T5 (Mr Millers "Cannon" rule-set) you can have things that are listed at higher TLs at MUCH earlier TLs as prototypes.

That said, there is a LOT more flexibility in the TL progression chart than you might think...

~Cryton
*wince* "Canon" not "Cannon" unless I'm not seeing the joke...

Absolutely, I'm not. But they are also bigger, bulkier, and (implied) not quite as good or as effective.

Re-read the but with the robots, those really, really don't sound like experimental or prototype robots. Especially since they're also running one heck of a program or are also AI.

Personally I like this vision of Known Space that has lots more of "Here There Be Monsters..." at the edges of the maps. For the rogue AI it could even be a Gibsonesque alien transmission that spawned it I suppose.

I think for me it is the lack of surprise that Agent Bland has with each of these that really suggests that such are not exactly uncommon (though arguably rare). They are certainly common enough that the Emperor has no problem with wiping out planetary populations on a semi-regular basis to handle them. Heck, and these are just the ones that the Decider gets to handle - we have no idea what sorts of things the other Agents have handled.

It's a universe that is so currentlydangerous that creating the Agents, with their Imperial Warrants, was deemed a viable and useful method of handling things.

Not exactly the vision I have, well, ever gotten from reading Traveller materials. This actually brings MgT's "vision" much closer to MM's that it originally seemed. "Lost Secrets of the Second Imperium" might not be so far off after all...

D.
IMTU aka "Traveller 2200" = tp++ tc+ mt+ mgt+ tne-- !3i he+
Old December 23rd, 2015, 08:31 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 2
ovka Citizen+ovka Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimsmelchak View Post
I still have not received the link for my copy...
If you haven't received it, you might want to email Marc directly.

Cheers,

Baron Ovka
Old December 23rd, 2015, 10:34 PM
Knight

lostscout5 Citizen

Just finished reading my copy. I liked it. Damn good for a first novel.Well done to mark ! A lot of good ideas in the book. Plus a good start for the black fleet stuff.
Old December 24th, 2015, 03:43 AM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryton View Post
And this is the one rule from T5 I will never adopt because that is not the case in the real world.
A better version of this rule is to limit prototype and experimental stuff to one TL, providing certain minimum TL has been achieved for that particular device.

Talking of TLs in the book, the Imperium appears to have military tech a lot sooner than canonical history - jump 6 ships nearly two hundred years prior to achieving TL15

Quote:

~Cryton
Definitely so if you ignore it or bend it or have special cases or...
Old December 24th, 2015, 03:49 AM
Noble

Quote:
Re-read the but with the robots, those really, really don't sound like experimental or prototype robots. Especially since they're also running one heck of a program or are also AI.
The scary bit is that they can mimic humans

Quote:
Personally I like this vision of Known Space that has lots more of "Here There Be Monsters..." at the edges of the maps.
Agree

Quote:
This actually brings MgT's "vision" much closer to MM's that it originally seemed. "Lost Secrets of the Second Imperium" might not be so far off after all...

D.
There is one particular reference which I will find that made me think exactly the same thing...
Old December 24th, 2015, 06:12 AM
Administrator

Gallery : 52
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
*wince* "Canon" not "Cannon" unless I'm not seeing the joke...
You spotted but didn't trust your recognition of the joke. (Cryton mentioned this joke to me when we were talking earlier...)

the joke is T5 is both canon (as in official), and a weapon (cannon) against other editions.
Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.