Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > Imperial Interstellar Scout Service

Imperial Interstellar Scout Service Details of the worlds of the Imperium (and beyond).

Old July 30th, 2020, 10:20 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 8
Shadow Shack Citizen+Shadow Shack Citizen+
Default First Scout/Courier

I am in the process of making an adventure that revolves around the first Scout/Courier (Book-2 design). Looking through my LBBs I have found that the design has been in use for over a century and estimates of 15-30K in use by the Imperium with over a thousand in service within the Spinward Marches.

So...what to name it? Would "Sulieman" be the first of this century+ production run of ships or is that simply the current/updated version of the design?

Currently portraying Nyco 'the Kid' Layne in flykiller's Imperial Scout Rescue Service PbP game
Old July 30th, 2020, 10:41 PM
Citizen: SOC-9

Gallery : 0
Madmax Citizen

IMHO
Sulieman is the name of the most recent TL12 design class. The very first scout ship version would have probably been TL10 (an early prototype with an experimental J2 drive) and could have been named anything.

Of course this is just my opinion, I do not know of any canon reference to this sort of topic.
Old July 30th, 2020, 10:58 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 3
GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++

The Book 2 Type S is literally just a listing of design decisions. That's all of the Types, really.

Class names didn't appear until other sources started to engage in setting building. The "classic" Scout we identify as the Sulieman was either the third or fourth to see publication, and it was GDW's second try. The Judges Guild Scout and the Snapshot Scout precede it, and the Judges Guild Scout was clearly the inspiration for the Sulie, as the JG Scout served GDW as external artwork until they finalized the Sulie and produced external art for it specifically. GDW may have produced more exterior art for the JG Scout than JG did...

The fourth version in that timeframe was the Serpent, by Paranoia Press.

"Alright. Where did that Beaker get a cred stick?"
(Website down until further notice)
Old July 31st, 2020, 12:00 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

Grav_Moped Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmax View Post
IMHO
Sulieman is the name of the most recent TL12 design class. The very first scout ship version would have probably been TL10 (an early prototype with an experimental J2 drive) and could have been named anything.

Of course this is just my opinion, I do not know of any canon reference to this sort of topic.
And it might not look at all like any of the canonical versions. Tailsitter prolate spheroid*, anyone? At TL-10 (11) the first time around, they're not going to have been confident in getting J2 with a complex-shaped Jump Field. The first J2 hulls will have been configured as sphere, flattened sphere, and maybe cylinder IMHO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyComet View Post
The Book 2 Type S is literally just a listing of design decisions. That's all of the Types, really.

* Example: the ball in American-rules Football.
Old July 31st, 2020, 05:08 AM

Nathan Brazil Citizen+Nathan Brazil Citizen+

How far back do you want to go?
  • Traveller20 called them Type-S in Gateway Quadrant in the 990's just like everyone else. Same performance and config as Classic Traveller
  • T4 which takes place in 0 at the dawn of the Third Imperium call them Type S scout/couriers are a sensible old Terran design the Syleans build. Same performance and config as Classic Traveller
  • In GURPS Traveller: Intersteller Wars they are the IIKEN-CLASS 100-DTON SCOUT/COURIER. A Vilani Imperium (1st Imperium) design that has been in existence for at least 2000 (around -4346) years prior to the campaign date of 2173AD(-2346). Same performance and config as Classic Traveller:
Quote:
The Imperium mixes the functions of picket vessel and naval courier in the Iiken-class scout/courier ship. This is one of the oldest ship designs in Imperial service; it was first manufactured over 2,000 years ago, during the Consolidation Wars.
Hundreds of Iiken-class ships can be found in any Imperial subsector, even on the rimward frontier. Most are in Imperial Navy service, but some are actually in private hands.
As a matter of long-standing tradition, a mid-level Imperial naval officer with an exemplary record will sometimes be issued a surplus Iiken when he leaves active service. Naval pensions being what they are, this is often the only way that a retired officer from the manager classes can afford personal interstellar transportation. The “detached duty” Iiken ships receive limited maintenance support from the Navy, making private operation even easier. In exchange, the retired officer operating the ship must report regularly to Navy intelligence officials on anything “interesting” he may encounter. Meanwhile, if war breaks out in the region, a detached-duty officer and his Iiken are subject to being recalled for active service.
Meanwhile, a number of Iiken class ships have been captured or otherwise acquired by Terrans over the years. Just as in the Imperium, some of these have been “excessed” into civilian hands. - p.205
Old July 31st, 2020, 09:49 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 8
Shadow Shack Citizen+Shadow Shack Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmax View Post
IMHO
Pretty much what I was leaning toward...Sully being the more recent/updated version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Brazil View Post
How far back do you want to go?
Just sticking with LBBs. So far I have gleaned "over a century" so I'm spitballing at a ship that is 125 years old.

Currently portraying Nyco 'the Kid' Layne in flykiller's Imperial Scout Rescue Service PbP game
Old July 31st, 2020, 10:04 PM

Gallery : 3
GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Shack View Post
sticking with LBBs. So far I have gleaned "over a century" so I'm spitballing at a ship that is 125 years old.
The Sulie is the version seen in Traders & Gunboats, aside from that little thumbnail pic, which is the JG version. I doubt you'll get any guff for claiming those have been around a while. I operate on the idea that the TL9 version is the Scout Service's way of making sure even the most backwoods A Port can partake of Imperial shipbuilding contracts, and having a simple hull is part of that.

"Alright. Where did that Beaker get a cred stick?"
(Website down until further notice)
Old August 1st, 2020, 12:40 AM

Grav_Moped Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyComet View Post
The Sulie is the version seen in Traders & Gunboats, aside from that little thumbnail pic, which is the JG version. I doubt you'll get any guff for claiming those have been around a while. I operate on the idea that the TL9 version is the Scout Service's way of making sure even the most backwoods A Port can partake of Imperial shipbuilding contracts, and having a simple hull is part of that.
It also means that any Class A Port can fix them if necessary.
Definitionally, Class A means ability to build and repair starships. Even on worlds below TL-9, the starport itself must have at least TL-9 available, even if it's not produced domestically.

And contra what I posted above, if you're building a scenario around a search for the "first Type S", it probably will be one of the canon designs rather than something unusual. There will have been other ships before it with identical specs, but not of the same "standard design type".
Old August 3rd, 2020, 03:35 AM

BlackBat242 Citizen+BlackBat242 Citizen+BlackBat242 Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grav_Moped View Post
And it might not look at all like any of the canonical versions. Tailsitter prolate spheroid*, anyone? At TL-10 (11) the first time around, they're not going to have been confident in getting J2 with a complex-shaped Jump Field. The first J2 hulls will have been configured as sphere, flattened sphere, and maybe cylinder IMHO.

* Example: the ball in American-rules Football.
Old August 4th, 2020, 01:16 AM

Grav_Moped Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBat242 View Post
I found a set of deckplans I drew up back in the mid-80s for a Type S as a tailsitter 2:1 prolate spheroid.

Basically, most of the bridge and all of the living quarters and the engine room were a cylinder along the main axis inside the spheroid. Made the math a little easier.

Main bits of weirdness were that it had way too much cargo space (I think I was using LBB5 power plant fuel allocation) and that I made the double turret into two half-ton single turrets to ensure 360-degree coverage. For some reason I thought that was important, but it threw me off when I saw it again decades later, since I didn't remember whether I was using LBB2/HG or my ref's house rules to do the design.

I don't have image posting privileges and don't have a file-hosting service so you'll just have to use your imagination. It's probably better that way -- I was a fair draftsman, but I could do a lot better today.