Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Classic Traveller

Classic Traveller Discussion on the granddaddy of them all, Classic Traveller!

Old July 12th, 2020, 11:23 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 1
Visit Carlobrand's Blog
Carlobrand Respected CitizenCarlobrand Respected CitizenCarlobrand Respected CitizenCarlobrand Respected CitizenCarlobrand Respected CitizenCarlobrand Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherDilbert View Post
The simple solution is to, as suggested above, dock the launch in the middle of the stern, moving engineering to the sides.
It's a solution, not simple since it would involve significant changes elsewhere. That appears to be what FASA did, from what's being described. I'm gonna have to get my hands on some FASA deckplans, I think. Sounds like they had a better handle on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike wightman View Post
My solution is to have the boat dock on top of the ship rather than the bottom and ignore the text that says otherwise.
Also an option, and pretty simple, but it eliminates the dome above the bridge. Not a major loss - actually an improvement. I really don't see a point in having a window so radiation or some micrometeor can kill the bridge crew, and gods forbid a laser should hit there.

Having the launch between the bridge and a potential weapons strike is actually good engineering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyComet View Post
Still on the first page and someone feels the need to riff on the typo in the topic name...
I was mortified when I realized I'd botched the title.
Comments made are for the purpose of offering alternative campaign settings for consideration. The writer acknowledges that Traveller is intended to emulate certain common science fiction tropes and that, in the course of emulating those tropes and providing a better playing experience, some liberties must be taken with science. No statement by the writer should be interpreted as constituting a criticism of the game on that basis ... except for that bit about Virus. Dude, really?!
Old July 13th, 2020, 01:04 AM

Gallery : 3
GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlobrand View Post
That appears to be what FASA did, from what's being described.
No, the FASA design is very much like the Signal GK version, except for the bottom deck. It is also stylized a little differently, with curvier lines.

If you look at the exterior art on page 18 of Signal GK, you'll see that the Engineering "block" extends downward, forming a backstop behind where the Boat would be if it were docked in that picture. That space is not in the plans in Signal GK, implying that it is fuel. There is fuel explicitly depicted flanking the Cargo deck as well.

In the FASA plans, included in one of the FFE "Apocrypha" collections, the lowest part of the Engineering block is a cargo space, and there is a lift connecting it to the rear half of the main Cargo deck. Another lift in the forward half of main Cargo explicitly connects to the cargo space of the Boat.

The FASA plans for the Type M suffer somewhat from being so sprawling that they are spread out across more than one page of the folio (Adventure Class Ships Volume 2).

I've also been reminded that Loren produced an extensive document on this ship, with better diagrams.
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...facturers_id=4

"Alright. Where did that Beaker get a cred stick?"
(Website down until further notice)

Last edited by GypsyComet; July 13th, 2020 at 01:15 AM..
Old July 13th, 2020, 07:07 AM

Gallery : 0
Visit McPerth's Blog
McPerth has disabled reputation

I don't own SIgnal GK, so I cannot talk about the deckplans hteere, but I would like to remember the deckplans (albeit modified, and for MT) of the SUbsidized lineer are also in the MT adventure Assignment Vigilante.

As I said, they are for MT (so some diferences may be expected), and the Viggie is a modified tipe M ship, so I don't know to wich point they can serve (and I don't have them handly right now), but, if someone has them more handly tan myself, and can compare them with those in Signal GK maybe they can help a Little.

Ignore this post if they cannot or add to confusion...

I'm not afraid about bullets, what scares me is the speed at which they're incoming.
Old July 13th, 2020, 01:00 PM

Gallery : 3
GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++

The Vigilante removes the boat dock and fourth deck completely to make the ship landable.

"Alright. Where did that Beaker get a cred stick?"
(Website down until further notice)
Old July 13th, 2020, 04:07 PM

Gallery : 0
Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++

Once you use up enough tonnes of hydrogen fuel, that starts to add up to real money.

Sunsidization helps keep costs down.

Also, creative engineering could bypass the primary power plant, requiring them only for acceleration and while down the rabbit hole.