Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > Adventurers

Adventurers Tell us your Traveller character stats, skills, and details.

Old April 26th, 2020, 04:09 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
BRover Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Condottiere View Post
Cooped Up In the Co Ed Penal Institution Of Lower Learning.

... starring Jai Byrd and Connie Vic
What about the Stainless Steel Rat, "Slippery Jim" diGriz?

Our Traveller Universes clearly are at variance. Blessed be the variance!
Old April 26th, 2020, 10:37 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 114
flykiller Citizen++flykiller Citizen++flykiller Citizen++flykiller Citizen++

Quote:
Right off the top of my head I can immediately think of two sci fi novels that involve refugees in a major way
as literature, sure. as a game, I'd pass.

'less of course someone thinks they can run a refugee game here on the boards ....
Old April 27th, 2020, 03:50 AM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

I have ripped off both for scenarios (Downbelow Station and an awful lot of other CJ Cherryh stuff is ripe for inspiration, and I am a big fan of Peter F Hamilton's various sci fi universes).

MegaTraveller Hard Times involved many adventures involving refugees - come to think of it ther are adventure shorts in The Traveller Adventure that icmclude refugees.

In TNR I remember a game dealing with refugees from a Vampire Fleet attack that required PC help to establish themselves - I wanted an excuse to use World Tamer's Handbook

Come to think of it one of the PCs in one of my Hard Times encounters was a refugee...

Then ther is Battlestar Galactica and the adventure that kicks off a brand new campaign setting for MgT The Fall of Tinath both of which are based on refugees.

Last edited by mike wightman; April 28th, 2020 at 03:29 AM..
Old April 27th, 2020, 10:36 AM

whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by flykiller View Post
as literature, sure. as a game, I'd pass.

'less of course someone thinks they can run a refugee game here on the boards ....
T2K is effectively a refugee game. Armed and with vehicles, but essentially a refugee game all the same.
Old April 27th, 2020, 10:35 PM

Quote:
feature refugees
feature, not star.

well I suppose life in a camp could be interesting in its own small-scale way. bribe the cooks for more soup, hunt rats, smuggle in cigarettes ....

("baby you don't have to live like a refugeeeee")
Old April 28th, 2020, 03:27 AM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

Ok, involving refugees front and center - you are twisting my poor choice of words.
Old April 28th, 2020, 03:57 AM

Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++

Zombie stories.
Old April 28th, 2020, 11:04 PM

Quote:
involving refugees
involving, not starring.

maybe an undercover op involving posing as a refugee.

Quote:
zombie stories
zombie refugees? murphy: "stop it! they have feelings!"

z-nation -> z-station?
Old July 4th, 2020, 04:51 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 2
Visit BackworldTraveller's Blog
BackworldTraveller Citizen

From the refugees I've come across, camps are a small part of the whole experience. Much is walking long distances, hitching rides, finding dodgy characters who might get you to the next point and avoiding getting arrested and interned or kidnapped and/or killed.

5th Frontier War, Esalin. It's all kicked off and you are on a field trip with your class looking at Geology...Can't go back - Too many Z's...fall in with Guerillas.

Living on the Sword Worlds when the Imperials move in and take over. Need to relocate to somewhere more independent - Narsil?

In Tobia when the Emperor is killed and the Aslan ihatei turn up looking for trouble...need to get to your unit so you can fight back.
Old July 4th, 2020, 05:59 PM

Gallery : 4
Visit timerover51's Blog
timerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizen

Andre Norton's book, Star Rangers, could be used as a refugee adventure, as the Star Patrol could be viewed as Scouts, while at the end of the book, a shipload of true refugees arrives.

Then there is her "Dipple" series, which is more undefined, but does include Catseye, Shann Lantee in Storm Over Warlock (still one of my favorite reads), along with the Janus series, and also The Defiant Agents where you have competing groups of American Indians and 20th Century Mongolians trapped on the Earth-like planet Topaz.

Note: Some of these can be found online.

Stretching it a bit more, you have James Blish with his Cities in Flight stories, and a fair number of Christopher Anvil short stories on colonists that are close to refugees.

Then you have the back plot line of Piper's Space Vikings, where the remains of the System States Alliance fleet heads off into the galaxy to find planets far away from the Federation, and succeeds in setting up the Sword Worlds. That would take a bit more work, but it could be fun.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

They that go down to the sea in ships,
that do business in great waters;
These see the works of the LORD,
and his wonders in the deep.