Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Play By Post > Magnus' Permatic PBF

View Poll Results: What sort of adventures do you want to play?
Trade and Commerce 30 49.18%
Military Campaign 24 39.34%
Diplomatic and Court Intrigues 16 26.23%
Exploration 45 73.77%
Other: Post Answer 7 11.48%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 20th, 2016, 02:19 AM
Margrave

Gallery : 0
Visit pendragonman's Blog
pendragonman Citizen+pendragonman Citizen+pendragonman Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus von Thornwood View Post
Actually he was created with draft materials, and CC was 2 years then. I still think it should be two years but it may actually be that short. Might have to check into that.
First version of T5 (2012) p72. Command College is a special Military School only for characters with Army, Navy, or Marine rank Officer4. At the beginning of the first term the character is O4, the first event is Command College. A character who fails Command College may not Continue in the service.

Further, each of the careers mention it as the first year of the O4 term.

T5.09 (2015) p42. Command College is a special Military School for higher ranking officers. A Character must attend Command College in the first year of the term after he is promoted to Officer4, provided he successfully Continues. A character who fails Command College may not Continue in the service.

Further, each of the careers mention it as the first year of the O4 term.

Since both versions indicate one year, I suspect there was a misinterpretation of the draft materials.

While personal experience from the US military has no bearing on the Traveller rules, I suspect that is the basis of the rule as presented. The Command and General Staff Officer course is a ten month course (currently housed at Fort Leavenworth Kansas, started in 1881). A precocious officer would go at O4, O5 or O6 is more normal. This course is normally available to ~5400 officers a year.

There is a School of Advanced Military Studies (started in 1983) for those that are likely to make O6 and awards the PhD. It is a second year of training that awards the PhD after a year of applied use (the third year of the training). This course is only open to ~150 officers a year.

There is a plethora of other advanced training courses available to officers that would equate to the ANM schools.

3 times elevated Knight of the Iridium Throne, Marquis Djar, Marquis of the Solomani Rim (Fafhrd), Count Uakye, and Count Jana. Duke Ninua of the Imperial Core.
Old December 20th, 2016, 04:49 PM
Citizen: SOC-5

Nick Sutton Citizen

Quote:
All of that "grooming" means that Sutton is way more a political animal than Wally is. It may be better for Sutton to be the liaison and Martel the rump merc battalion commander.
Sutton just whats to make bombs, good bomb, the best non lethal, bombs money can't buy.

Last edited by atpollard; December 20th, 2016 at 09:57 PM..
Old December 27th, 2016, 11:04 PM
Margrave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Sutton View Post
Sutton just whats to make bombs, good bomb, the best non lethal, bombs money can't buy.
Lt. Cor. Sutton outranks FC Martel, and outranks Baronet Martel (Sutton's Soc is C, Martel's is c) and as such is more likely to be made liaison to the Voodgi than Martel is.

The only area where Martel exceeds Sutton is that Martel's fame is Domain wide (Fame 22) whereas Sutton is only known in a greater system area (Fame 15). I suspect this is due to the difference in career paths. The newsies like splashy field work (it makes good copy) over academic work.

Being known Domain wide would be a hindrance in negotiating covert operations with an associated species as meetings would be hard to keep secret.

3 times elevated Knight of the Iridium Throne, Marquis Djar, Marquis of the Solomani Rim (Fafhrd), Count Uakye, and Count Jana. Duke Ninua of the Imperial Core.
Old December 28th, 2016, 12:27 AM
Baron

Gallery : 37
Visit Magnus von Thornwood's Blog
Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++
Arrow So, in the Metagame Officer's Wardroom...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragonman View Post
Lt. Cor. Sutton outranks FC Martel, and outranks Baronet Martel (Sutton's Soc is C, Martel's is c) and as such is more likely to be made liaison to the Voodgi than Martel is.

The only area where Martel exceeds Sutton is that Martel's fame is Domain wide (Fame 22) whereas Sutton is only known in a greater system area (Fame 15). I suspect this is due to the difference in career paths. The newsies like splashy field work (it makes good copy) over academic work.

Being known Domain wide would be a hindrance in negotiating covert operations with an associated species as meetings would be hard to keep secret.
Spoiler:
I have my Mark I Blaster next to me and my Imperial Officer's Cover (my KGB hat with an Imperial Starburst in the band) as I type this. I thought it both fitting and amusing, I was wearing it in Angry Joe style while I ran my new Crystal Cruiser I have been grinding forever for in FTL. Yeah, and I bet you thought this was like game related stuff. teeheehee

True. But someone here already said he had prior experience with them.

But then we can hash that out...what's that a door chime you say? Well, best go answer that.

EDIT: Wait, what?! Sutton has a Soc C?

Really Sir Nick? Funny you never mentioned your family had money. Hmmm, suddenly your family encouraging you to try and get into Blackwall to cement relations with the empire makes someone's patriotism look less inspired. But that is just a Rumor I heard in a Quelw startown dive. I mean really who believes the stuff. Next you'll be telling me Rudy's folks were the actual targets of the Winter Ball assassination attempt too.
Duke of Sinta, Count Smoug, Viscount Alell, Musayid, & Nii Khu, Marquis Malory & Phlume, Baron Donu-na,
Knight Retainer of the Emperor for Salla, Inarli, & Bhuur,
Knight Retainer of the Baron Jacha, Knight Retainer of the Baronet Kiind,
Knight of the Third Imperium for Trane,
Travellers' Aid Society Member #0543.

Thornwood-Daarnulud LLC

Last edited by Magnus von Thornwood; December 28th, 2016 at 12:32 AM.. Reason: Surprised!
Old December 28th, 2016, 12:29 AM
Margrave

Considering how I have my previous experience with them, so does Sutton from our entwined campaigns.

Old February 6th, 2017, 09:00 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 9
SanDragon Citizen+SanDragon Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDragon View Post
Generator gestalt may be achieved (maybe!) with a new Talent, Gestalt, or a wafer jack!

Okay, spit-balling a theory there.

By the time of The Tower and The Hive series, most Teleport/Telepaths working the Towers can Gestalt with the generators to enhance Teleport/Telepath.

This occurred in the time of at least three generations, since Earth Prime, Peter Reidinger, is the third of his name.

Since the top Teleport/Telepaths are called Primes, I figure they have a Psi of 15, and the talents in the series use T1 (Prime) to T12 for a general measure of the strength of their talent. (I figure Rank for a Psionicist would be 16 - Psi).

More spit-balling, let only those of T7 or better Rank (Psi = 9+) to Gestalt.

Also, been bashing on the forge a T4 transliteration of the T4 Psionicist career. Call me crazy.
Quote:
First I see I have get those books again because I forgotten a lot.

Two, I could only see..dangit, hmmm, Wafer Jack you say...
Yeah.

I also just remembered that it was easier to gestalt with certain generator frequencies that were at the same pitch of the characters' favorite music.

mg- mt+ t5>++(**) ce fl ru+ ge !3i c- jt- au+ ls+ pi+ ta-- he++

Christopher 0301 X065A57-F S kk++ hi+ va+ dr+ vr+ vi-- A613

Duke Eneldun http://travellermap.com/world?sector...20Rim&hex=0326
Baron Overnale http://www.travellermap.com/world?se...rches&hex=1937
K.C.E.G. of Arnyl (Knight Commander of the Honorable Order of the Emperor's Guard) http://www.travellermap.com/world?sector=Deneb&hex=0930
Old February 6th, 2017, 09:02 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 9
SanDragon Citizen+SanDragon Citizen+

Quote:
Year 196: Black and Bold. Black in that you were sort of in peril, Bold in that you got a medal for merit (as opposed to an "I was there", or "I was shot" medals)
The Order of the Purple Target!

mg- mt+ t5>++(**) ce fl ru+ ge !3i c- jt- au+ ls+ pi+ ta-- he++

Christopher 0301 X065A57-F S kk++ hi+ va+ dr+ vr+ vi-- A613

Duke Eneldun http://travellermap.com/world?sector...20Rim&hex=0326
Baron Overnale http://www.travellermap.com/world?se...rches&hex=1937
K.C.E.G. of Arnyl (Knight Commander of the Honorable Order of the Emperor's Guard) http://www.travellermap.com/world?sector=Deneb&hex=0930
Old February 17th, 2017, 05:55 AM
Citizen: SOC-5

Nick Sutton Citizen

Quote:
EDIT: Wait, what?! Sutton has a Soc C?

Really Sir Nick? Funny you never mentioned your family had money. Hmmm, suddenly your family encouraging you to try and get into Blackwall to cement relations with the empire makes someone's patriotism look less inspired. But that is just a Rumor I heard in a Quelw startown dive. I mean really who believes the stuff. Next you'll be telling me Rudy's folks were the actual targets of the Winter Ball assassination attempt too.
Wasn't Aron Sutton, Nick's dad, a professor at Astro U?

Last edited by McPerth; February 17th, 2017 at 08:39 AM.. Reason: fixing quote
Old February 27th, 2017, 04:14 PM
Margrave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Sutton View Post
Wasn't Aron Sutton, Nick's dad, a professor at Astro U?
If you are implying that your father was Soc C and so inherited your soc C, that is not how inheritance works.

Old February 28th, 2017, 02:05 AM
Baron

Gallery : 37
Visit Magnus von Thornwood's Blog
Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++
Arrow Yeah, Nick...

Quote:
If you are implying that your father was Soc C and so inherited your soc C, that is not how inheritance works.
How come I wasn't made aware of this?

And it would mean that his parents' Soc is D which is fine. But it does mean I need to make note of that.
Duke of Sinta, Count Smoug, Viscount Alell, Musayid, & Nii Khu, Marquis Malory & Phlume, Baron Donu-na,
Knight Retainer of the Emperor for Salla, Inarli, & Bhuur,
Knight Retainer of the Baron Jacha, Knight Retainer of the Baronet Kiind,
Knight of the Third Imperium for Trane,
Travellers' Aid Society Member #0543.

Thornwood-Daarnulud LLC