Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > The Fleet

The Fleet Ship designs, strategies, and tactics.

Old September 15th, 2009, 10:17 AM
Citizen: SOC-1

Gallery : 0
ivargu Citizen
Question A question about the Survey-ship

Hi everyone. I am looking at the 600-ton Donosev-class Survey ship from the basic TNE book. There it mentions that amongst other things it carries a complement of 3 air-rafts.

This has me thinking. Isn't the Survey ship unable to enter atmosphere, having no contra-grav lifters and an unstreamlined hull. How does it ever get to deliver those air-rafts into use? Can anyone clarify?

Best regards,
Ivar
Old September 15th, 2009, 10:19 AM
Marquis

Gallery : 9
Visit robject's Blog
robject has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivargu View Post
Hi everyone. I am looking at the 600-ton Donosev-class Survey ship from the basic TNE book. There it mentions that amongst other things it carries a complement of 3 air-rafts.

This has me thinking. Isn't the Survey ship unable to enter atmosphere, having no contra-grav lifters and an unstreamlined hull. How does it ever get to deliver those air-rafts into use? Can anyone clarify?

Best regards,
Ivar
I suppose those air/rafts are enclosed, and therefore are reentry-capable. Perhaps they're specialty models, too.

I thought the Donosev was 400 tons?
Tools Link
Old September 15th, 2009, 12:09 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

morfydd Citizen

As i recall it also has a 50 ton Modular Cutter ..one modual for refueling and the other for insertion of the survey team...and yes I recall those being enclosed air/rafts..and I have never seen a 600 ton dosonev...was 400 tons last I looked but i never looked at TNe's version either..

***Anything I post here is my own opinion and not the opinion of others***
Everything I post on these forums are free game to use, modify or play with to your hearts content. I do ask that credit be given for my work if its published in any form (ie this is permission under the OpenGPL.)
Old September 15th, 2009, 12:21 PM

ivargu Citizen

Well, it's 600-tons in my revised (post Fire Fusion and Steel) version of the core TNE book.
Old September 15th, 2009, 12:23 PM

ivargu Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by morfydd View Post
As i recall it also has a 50 ton Modular Cutter ..one modual for refueling and the other for insertion of the survey team...and yes I recall those being enclosed air/rafts..and I have never seen a 600 ton dosonev...was 400 tons last I looked but i never looked at TNe's version either..
Yeah it has the cutter and I know they can use that to go dirtside, I am just confused about the presence of the air rafts. I am pretty sure that even enclosed those are not meant to survive atmospheric entry
Old September 15th, 2009, 07:34 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 1
Starviking Citizen

Quote:
Yeah it has the cutter and I know they can use that to go dirtside, I am just confused about the presence of the air rafts. I am pretty sure that even enclosed those are not meant to survive atmospheric entry
If they have contra-grav, Heplar and are streamlined then atmospheric entry is not a problem as they can kill their orbital velocity themselves - no need to decelerate using the atmosphere.
Old September 16th, 2009, 10:06 AM
The Adminator

Gallery : 41
Andrew Boulton Citizen

Quote:
Well, it's 600-tons in my revised (post Fire Fusion and Steel) version of the core TNE book.
I'd never noticed that. It's 400dt in every other version.

All grav vericles can reach orbit.
Old September 17th, 2009, 11:59 AM

ivargu Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starviking View Post
If they have contra-grav, Heplar and are streamlined then atmospheric entry is not a problem as they can kill their orbital velocity themselves - no need to decelerate using the atmosphere.
Ah! Thanks!. I managed to somehow overlook the fact that Air/Rafts have HEPlaR. I was so fixated on them using Contra-gravity manipulation for propulsion. Again, thanks.