Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > The Fleet

The Fleet Ship designs, strategies, and tactics.

Old July 4th, 2005, 06:47 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 2
Piper Citizen
In your TU, who does the work of the Coast Guard?
Who maintains the navaids, performs search-and-rescue, safety inspections, immigration, customs and quarantine patrols (if any)?

I run mine as a branch of the Scout Service using 100 ton Type-S as cutters, X-boat tenders for stores and support vessels, and a few Patrol Cruisers for busier systems.
Old July 4th, 2005, 08:06 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 5
Visit Whipsnade's Blog
Whipsnade Citizen+Whipsnade Citizen+Whipsnade Citizen+
Piper,

Oooh! That's a good question! And a tough one...

You see, the US Coast Guard circa 2005 is an anomaly. It's the result of a two century long amalgamation of many different services and duties. The US had an entirely separate Lighthouse Service up until the '30s when it was merged with the USCG as a cost savings measure(1). Ditto all the regional coastal lifeboat services, river bouying (which had been done by the Army Corp of Engineers!), customs houses, and so forth. Over the years, all sorts of activities got folded into, merged with, and just plain dumped on the Coast Guard. Thus the USCG is a odd grab bag of various waterborne activities that used to mostly be separated.

IMTU, the various celestime versions of the services and duties you mentioned are parceled out among different services and offices - just as they used to be in the US. ForEx:

NavAids - Handled by both the IISS and SPA. The Scouts handle the surveying and placement aspects while the SPA tackles routine maintenance and identifies where navaids are needed. Member worlds can and do place their own navaids too.

SAR - This is a SPA activity, but the SPA may not have the assets necessary in every system so the IN and IISS backstop them. Member worlds can and do support their own SAR assets too.

Safety Inspections - Again, the SPA as part of it's licensing power. However, 'stop and search for safety' type activities may be performed by IN and IISS assets on 'loan' to the SPA.

Customs - A vast majority of customs work takes place at the various xtrality borders throughout a system. That is primarily the member world's responsibility. The SPA can and will help on request. Extra-Imperial customs is more of a MoJ activity, again with assets tasked from the SPA, IISS, and IN.

Quarantines - This falls under the purview of the IISS and IN. As stated repeatedly in canon, both of those services can request Red Zone status for a given system. If a Red Zone is granted, it is up to the requesting service to enforce it. Other services may assist as they can.

Have fun,
Bill

1 - A great uncle of mine, Cecil Robertson, served in the Lighthouse Service.
Old July 5th, 2005, 07:13 AM
The Adminator

Gallery : 41
Andrew Boulton Citizen
Basically as Bill said IMTU. My SPA is less powerful, and some jobs are done by the system navy.
Old July 5th, 2005, 08:07 AM
Pickles

Gallery :
IMTU, pretty much all handled by the system navy, unless there are special agreements with the IN or ISS.
Old July 5th, 2005, 11:08 AM
The Adminator

Andrew Boulton Citizen
NavAids - IISS

SAR - System navy usually

Safety Inspections - SPA/SN

Customs - As Bill

Quarantines - IN
Old July 5th, 2005, 11:16 AM

Tobias Citizen
IMTU, the system squadron is responsible for all the practical aspects, cooperating with the Navy or the Scouts where necessary. If there is no system squadron, local naval assets fill in.

Regards,

Tobias
Old July 5th, 2005, 12:23 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Visit Whipsnade's Blog
Whipsnade Citizen+Whipsnade Citizen+Whipsnade Citizen+
Gents,

Let me add something about the SPA IMTU. From my first post, one could get the idea that it rivals the IN and IISS in the number of hulls it owns/operates.

First, MTU always had something like an SPA. I felt the canonical description of Imperial territory stopping at the starport's border sort of made an imperium-wide port authority mandatory. I never called it the 'SPA', but I cheerfully adopted the G:T moniker when it came out.

The SPA IMTU is sort of like a businessman's IISS. Like the IISS, it makes do, handles all sorts of problems, and tries not to get stuck in one mold. Like any good businessman, it watches it's bottom line like a hawk.

Second, because every port is different every SPA operation is different too. Large, busy ports with lots of traffic and lots of fees rolling in will own and operate their own SAR assets, their own NavAids assets, and lots of other stuff. Small, quiet ports with few fees rolling in will have to make do. They'll get some help from their richer bretheren, but they mostly make do.

A SAR asset at a small, Class C port may be staffed by contractors or even volunteers. NavAid maintenance may have to wait until the visiting IISS vessel makes it yearly rounds. Immediate maintenance will require hiring certain types; i.e. PCs, to either do the work or take some other fellows out to do the work.

What the SPA gets to spend on the operation of a port depends greatly on how many credits said port brings in. This can play merry hell with yearly budgets. A drop in merchant traffic due to a planetary war scare can gut the local SPA's proposed budget. Conversely, a rapid increase in traffic for whatever reason can find a used-to-be-sleepy port trying to act like a suddenly-busy port on a limited budget.

We can all see the adventures inherent in that system!

Have fun,
Bill
Old July 5th, 2005, 01:08 PM

Gallery : 0
Psion Citizen
I like bills take. It makes sense. Especially WRT nave aids.

However, more generally, I consider some of the duties to not be universal across the Imperium. Traveller provides us broad brush ratings like red and amber zones, but I imagine that in reality there would be multiple different grades of protection and support.

Large worlds with robust planetary navies (which would have nothing resembling uniformity when it comes to organization, so these responsiblities might be parsed out to a number of local authorities) would be responsible for most of their own customs and local law enforcement. The imperial navy and subsector navy (as it exists) take charge of handling more high justice matters.

Smaller worlds fall under imperial protection and development statutes and can typically expect imperial forces to pick up a larger portion of the customs, patrol, and navigational duties.

IMTU: ct+ mt++ tne-- t4- gt t20++(**) mongt++ ru ge+ 3i jt a pi+ st+ ls kk- hi+ so
Old July 5th, 2005, 01:38 PM
The Adminator

Andrew Boulton Citizen
The SPA predates GT - it first appeared in JTAS#19.
Old July 5th, 2005, 04:53 PM
Noble

Gallery : 0
mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen
IMTU it is up to the planetary/system navy to fulfil most of these functions.

Systems that are on an x-boat route will get help from the IISS, while systems with an Imperial Navy base will get help from there also - one of the reasons for worlds to petition for said establishments to be built on their world.

Systems where megacorporations have a major interest will have megacorp backing fo this sort of thing.

IMTU the SPA is more of a franchise than an Imperial organisation as such.