Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Play By Post > Magnus' Permatic PBF

View Poll Results: What sort of adventures do you want to play?
Trade and Commerce 32 50.00%
Military Campaign 25 39.06%
Diplomatic and Court Intrigues 17 26.56%
Exploration 48 75.00%
Other: Post Answer 8 12.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old April 26th, 2013, 01:00 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
Sigmund Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzlvraz View Post
Where did you find a rule on having more than one Minor?

EDIT: Aha, p.71, when one changes schools.
On pg. 71 Under the "Major and Minor" subsection of "The Educational Process" is says, "A character may select any Major and Minor (but they may not be the same) and change them each time a new Educational Institution is attended. I took this to mean that after my BA (when I switched from "college" to "university"), I could change my Teacher minor to Art. Please advise if this is incorrect.

Ah, I see you saw that... it helps if I read the entire post first

SOLO 1324 SHULGI B512855-C
Old April 26th, 2013, 01:01 PM

Sigmund Citizen

Quote:
p.74 is the only place in the book where the phrase "Changing Careers" appears, of course, so my interpretation is:

Follow the "To Begin" roll for whatever you want to change to. Craftsman, Noble, and Functionary each have pre-requisites, so it looks as if they're ready to accommodate this line of thought.

It feels as if there should be an upper-age limit for some, the military in particular, but I'm missing it if it's there.
This is how I read it, but I'll await GM ruling before proceeding.

Edit: And I'm also probably going to need some sort of ruling on aging for a robot. His body, of course, does not "age", although I suppose parts can wear out over time. However, Positronic brains do age, but I'm not sure what their life-span might be, or how aging affects them specifically. Also, from the way I read it, I was able to start college right at one year old after the initial settling in period for the Positronic brain's Int (AI) and personality programming. The way I read it, robots basically have a one year "childhood".

Old April 26th, 2013, 01:38 PM
Absent Friends Margrave

Visit pendragonman's Blog
pendragonman Citizen+pendragonman Citizen+pendragonman Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigmund View Post
This is how I read it, but I'll await GM ruling before proceeding.

Edit: And I'm also probably going to need some sort of ruling on aging for a robot. His body, of course, does not "age", although I suppose parts can wear out over time. However, Positronic brains do age, but I'm not sure what their life-span might be, or how aging affects them specifically. Also, from the way I read it, I was able to start college right at one year old after the initial settling in period for the Positronic brain's Int (AI) and personality programming. The way I read it, robots basically have a one year "childhood".
The begin roll has an unhelpful DM equal to the number of terms you have so far. Makes it harder to get in to the next career.

3 times elevated Knight of the Iridium Throne, Marquis Djar, Marquis of the Solomani Rim (Fafhrd), Count Uakye, and Count Jana. Duke Ninua of the Imperial Core.
Old April 26th, 2013, 01:41 PM

Sigmund Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragonman View Post
The begin roll has an unhelpful DM equal to the number of terms you have so far. Makes it harder to get in to the next career.
Begin in Citizen, Merchant (as temp), and possibly Craftsman is automatic if I fail begin rolls. I like that it gets harder to get into some careers as one gets older... very realistic. Not sure how that works for a robot, but overall I like it

Old April 26th, 2013, 02:16 PM
Citizen: SOC-9

Visit TomeGnome's Blog
TomeGnome Citizen

Quote:
I get the feeling that Skill-whoring isn't going to be a focal point for this group of players; we seem to be designing "individuals" moreso than "effective Traveller characters". Look at the group so far: one Marine newbie-Noble, two eggheads, and a robot. Astounding!
I told my wife (who is not a gamer, but knows games) about this group, and she said "So now that you can't die in Character Creation, you're making sure you die in session one? That's very fair-minded."

On the up-side, I see in the ship rules that "Counselor" is actually an official ship crew skill now; someone was re-watching ST:TNG...
Old April 26th, 2013, 02:27 PM

Jazzlvraz Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragonman View Post
Page reference, please? I've failed my PDF-search roll...
Old April 26th, 2013, 02:44 PM

Visit TomeGnome's Blog
TomeGnome Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigmund View Post
His body, of course, does not "age", although I suppose parts can wear out over time. However, Positronic brains do age, but I'm not sure what their life-span might be, or how aging affects them specifically. Also, from the way I read it, I was able to start college right at one year old after the initial settling in period for the Positronic brain's Int (AI) and personality programming. The way I read it, robots basically have a one year "childhood".

Rust

Rust has become the term for all forms of physical deterioration,
including long-term wear and tear, failures due to
age, and breakage (on or off the job).
Although employers are responsible for repair of breakage,
severe damage more often leads to the scrap pile.
Robots are expected to resolve for themselves deterioration
due to age or wear and tear.
--T5, p. 573

The way I read that is that robots age like any other character on an equivalent timeline. I also think that it looks like robot PCs start at age 1, so it would be eight terms (instead of four for we squishy sacks of cartilage) before you rolled an Age Check. Pending GM ruling, obviously.
Old April 26th, 2013, 05:59 PM

Sigmund Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomeGnome View Post

Rust

Rust has become the term for all forms of physical deterioration,
including long-term wear and tear, failures due to
age, and breakage (on or off the job).
Although employers are responsible for repair of breakage,
severe damage more often leads to the scrap pile.
Robots are expected to resolve for themselves deterioration
due to age or wear and tear.
--T5, p. 573

The way I read that is that robots age like any other character on an equivalent timeline. I also think that it looks like robot PCs start at age 1, so it would be eight terms (instead of four for we squishy sacks of cartilage) before you rolled an Age Check. Pending GM ruling, obviously.
Thanky kindly.... it's a whole lotta pdf and/or hardcover to search I do have a minor complaint, as well, that some stuff could use better or more thorough explanations. This is balanced out and in my case completely overshadowed by my continuing and giddily joyful geekgasming over the coolest toolkit system I have ever seen. I think it's safe to say that Traveller continues to reign supreme as THE system (for me) for sci-fi gaming (at least far future sci-fi). My favorite system overall is still BRP, but there's not much in the way of sci-fi stuff for that system, and that's ok, cuz Trav5 is here

Old April 26th, 2013, 06:20 PM

Visit TomeGnome's Blog
TomeGnome Citizen

Yeah, I have also occasionally found the T5 rules a lot to take, but mostly it's just fantastic to have it. Plus it covers everything+, which is pretty good.

I kind-of assume that, for robots, "Robotics" is the equivalent of "Medic," so you should be fine no matter what.
Old April 26th, 2013, 07:28 PM

Jazzlvraz Citizen

Looking at the spine of my Monolith, most of the pages are pristine white, but pps.70-175 or so are starting to color darker. It's becoming very easy to see where the chargen and Skills sections are.
Closed Thread