Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > Software Solutions

Software Solutions Discussions on Traveller related software.

View Poll Results: What Programming Languages do you currently code in?
C/C++ 31 39.24%
Go 6 7.59%
Windows Based (C#, .Net, etc) 25 31.65%
Python 32 40.51%
Perl 18 22.78%
Java 15 18.99%
Ruby 5 6.33%
PHP 10 12.66%
Shell 20 25.32%
Other(please post) 25 31.65%
JavaScript/ECMAScript 22 27.85%
SQL 24 30.38%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 6th, 2017, 12:24 PM
Baron

Gallery : 0
Leitz Citizen+Leitz Citizen+Leitz Citizen+
Default What Programming Languages do you use?

I'm seeing some potential for building the community within the community, if you're interested.

Addendum: I've probably missed a bunch, but am trying to focus on what we might collaborate on. If we can add languages let's do so.

Addendum #2 How could I have missed Javascript and SQL? Yikes! Trying to see if there's a way to add them to the poll.

Last edited by Leitz; May 6th, 2017 at 03:51 PM..
Old May 6th, 2017, 01:49 PM
Count

Gallery : 11
Visit Spenser TR's Blog
Spenser TR Citizen+Spenser TR Citizen+
Default Back in my day...

I can see you're not limiting to compiled languages so we're going broad here. I haven't been a dev for a long while now, but it's how I started in tech. I won't vote since I don't currently code, but this thread makes me smile.

Way back as an undergrad I messed with Fortran and Pascal. And BASIC of course. Later when I finally got into tech as a coder I did Visual Basic, C#, and for the web HTML, CSS, JS and ASP. I also worked with SQL, XSLT, and briefly touched Ruby before I switched to Human Computer Interaction work as I got into MS and PhD stuff programs to that.

If you're looking to form a coding group, good on you and best of luck. If you're looking to form a we-make-software group, in life I'm a principal user experience architect and "available as a resource."
Traders' Guild Member - Ship Captain Free Trader Kat's Meow - Retired Scout, speculative Merchant, occasional writer

Do good in the world --- my Traveller blog & my Pinterest
IMTU tg mgt+ ru ge- 3i+ c+ au+ ls- he+ so / OTU 22% cpu- fs- inf- n+ tv+ xb+
Old May 6th, 2017, 02:58 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

JimMarn Citizen+JimMarn Citizen+JimMarn Citizen+

I don't currently code either, but I have coded in AmigaBASIC and VAX Pascal, along with Quick Pascal.

There might be rumors I programmed in Quick C... before OO and ++ and I hated it. Oops.
Old May 6th, 2017, 03:15 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

ShawnDriscoll Citizen+ShawnDriscoll Citizen+

I've played around with most programming languages, just like I have with most RPG game mechanics. FORTRAN77 was my first go-to language for random-generated Traveller stuff. I wish Python was around back then. I don't bother with any other programming languages anymore.
Old May 6th, 2017, 04:05 PM
Baron

Leitz Citizen+Leitz Citizen+Leitz Citizen+

Most of my languages have been in the C based family which is why I didn't even think to add R, Haskell, Scheme, etc. All currently awesomely useful languages.

Part of my personal frustration is that what I enjoy most, Ruby, is pretty useless for sharing code. Almost no one runs the interpreter on their machine and even in my work domain Ruby is problematic. Still, it's fun.

That's one of the reasons Spenser TR might get thrown under the "usability tester" bus. I know a few folks are doing more and more in Python, not a bad language. My personal lean would be towards Go if we wanted to share something; it's compiled code and doesn't require an interpreter on the user's machine. It does have to be cross-compiled against major OS versions like Mac, Winderz, and Linux. Not sure if there's an issue with Winderz 7 vs 10 though. Here's the start of a simple character generator in Go.
Old May 6th, 2017, 05:19 PM
Count

Gallery : 11
Visit Spenser TR's Blog
Spenser TR Citizen+Spenser TR Citizen+

In case we're not on the same page as far as user testing...

User testing ( in my world ) is a profoundly different thing that Quality Assurance, Load Testing, or anything algorithmic like that. In the HCI world, user testing is about taking users through tasks using your thingy, and seeing how that goes. There's way more to it, but that's the gist. What lanugage ( or whatever ) you use to make your thingy probably has no bearing at all on how it will do with user testing. To use a physical example - you can make bike out of aluminum, steel, composite, or cardboard... and I'd still recommend doing some user tests. The aluminum bike won't be "better" or even "usable" just because it's aluminum.

Full-on user testing is involved. For stuff we do for Traveller in our off-hours, it's probably more like doing what's called a "heuristic analysis," which is a lot like playtesting in game design. An expert review, maybe the UX guy shows it to the buddy sitting next to him in the coffee shop. It's looking at an interface or flow and putting what you see and experience up against best practices and all that, making sure things are not-awful. Coders are just as good at this ( usually ) as user experience professionals are at coding they are distinctly different skill sets, and proficiency in putting together a code for a user interface is not at all related to the good design of that interface. We've all been reading and writing for a very long time, but few of us can write novels.

You can think of it as coders being the people who design and build the engine of a car, user experience peeps being the ones who design the lines, the interior, the dashboard, and any sort of interface between the thing that makes it "go" ( the engine/powertrain/whatever ) and how that going is experienced.

Serious coding efforts spend a lot of time in front-end and interface design, done by pros, because it matters. For a long long time the people who coded also did the interface. As things got more complicated with interfaces of all kinds, as users got more sophisticated and demand more tightly-design experiences because they see such things everywhere it's really, really rare that the guy who designs and builds the engine also designs the interior of the car... gauges, lights, labels, feedback, and all that.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread about coding languages...
Traders' Guild Member - Ship Captain Free Trader Kat's Meow - Retired Scout, speculative Merchant, occasional writer

Do good in the world --- my Traveller blog & my Pinterest
IMTU tg mgt+ ru ge- 3i+ c+ au+ ls- he+ so / OTU 22% cpu- fs- inf- n+ tv+ xb+
Old May 6th, 2017, 05:54 PM

ShawnDriscoll Citizen+ShawnDriscoll Citizen+

I put my Python code behind a Windows EXE loader, so people I send programs to for testing don't have to install anything (except for maybe a font or two that a GUI might use).
Old May 6th, 2017, 06:48 PM

Gallery : 4
agorski Citizen+agorski Citizen+

All my Mac and iOS apps have been done in Xojo. I'm a hobbyist and the Xojo IDE is orders of magnitude easier to grok than Xcode.

You can trade your email address for a download of Xojo and create anything you want and run it in the IDE (or in Xcode's iOS simulator).

You need to buy a license to create standalone apps or binaries to upload to iTunes Connect, so I expect to remain the lone Xojo programmer here.
Old May 6th, 2017, 08:09 PM

Ishmael Citizen

I don't code anymore, but a number of years ago, I used FORTH, and I'll probably end up using FORTH again in my retirement.
Old May 7th, 2017, 04:16 AM
Administrator

Gallery : 56
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

I dabble in Python and Javascript.

I'd done some C++ and C, but not recently.

I've put a toe in the water with Swift.

I learned several flavors of basic over the years TRS-80 Mod I, Applesoft (Apple IIe, IIgs, and it's clone on the Adam), Microsoft obasic (CP/M), VaxBasic (on a VMS/Vax machine), VMSB (Mac 68K), Q-Basic, QB-64, Chipmunk Basic.

I mostly program to work out statistics.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.