Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > In My Traveller Universe

In My Traveller Universe Detail what parts of Traveller you do (or don't) use in your campaign.

Old February 22nd, 2017, 08:17 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 6
Gray Lensman Citizen
Default Modifying the Anagathics rulles

Hello gentlebeings, I haven't really been around much for a long time, but ...

I am not sure I am posting this in the right area, it is homebrew (or will be). Non Rules dependent really, say the srd, or ct, mgt, t5 they are all about the same yes?

I am a big:huge:fan of David Weber's Honor Harrington books and I been thinking up a homebrew loosely based on it.

If you are familiar with them I would like to see your thoughts on modifying the anagathics rules to simulate a single treatment done at an early age (with different generations of treatment) as opposed to constantly having to search for and buy, blah, blah, blech....

Come on, show me what you got
Old February 22nd, 2017, 09:55 PM
Count

Gallery : 11
Visit Spenser TR's Blog
Spenser TR Citizen+Spenser TR Citizen+

Ha! This is on my list of topics to tackle, but I don't even have an outline for it yet. Very interested.
Traders' Guild Member - Ship Captain Free Trader Kat's Meow - Retired Scout, speculative Merchant, occasional writer

Do good in the world --- my Traveller blog & my Pinterest
IMTU tg mgt+ ru ge- 3i+ c+ au+ ls- he+ so / OTU 22% cpu- fs- inf- n+ tv+ xb+
Old February 22nd, 2017, 11:28 PM

Gallery : 0
Lycanorukke Citizen+Lycanorukke Citizen+Lycanorukke Citizen+

The one I have always like for Homebrew anagathics is from Freelance Traveller.

Anagathics: Doping the Inevitable

In this anagathics have been around for over a thousand years (since Imp 53) but the early versions were dangerous to put it mildly. They got better and needed less doses as the tech improved but the price tag went up sharply.

As for one lifetime treatment, there is a sort of one in JTAS 19 about rejuvenation technology. Instead of anagathics you get a treatment at 60+ years or so which resets you back to a younger point (say 20s). You then live another 40+ years and then get another treatment resetting the clock again.

As for T-5, with wafer and cloning technology, its very simple. When you feel too old, copy yourself to a wafer and upload it to a new clone which is 18yrs biological. Rinse and repeat.

A single 'one off' treatment to live forever seems unlikely unless it is ongoing in some way - super nanotech or the like.
Old February 23rd, 2017, 12:42 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

kilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizen

I suppose it depends on what sort of world you want.

If it is common, then you are going to have a lot of utterly lethal 60 year olds around with maxed out skills, and perhaps a different attitude about marriage and children.

Need to figure out how the planet is not overrun with population.

We talked about this in another thread about long-lived Vilani, you could have another century or three of the output of the most brilliant people who ever lived- or maybe a very static society locked into the control of said geniuses.

You could have it be only for the rich or HiSOC, with all the resentments brewing that implies.

Could be the cheap version continuing version, or the really good onetime or the 60 year versions- but once you go one way you are locked into it.

I don't know that I would be so fast to discard the 'fountain of youth' dose dependency meme- should always be a game price for advantage.
Old February 23rd, 2017, 04:55 AM
Administrator

Gallery : 56
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
Hello gentlebeings, I haven't really been around much for a long time, but ...

I am not sure I am posting this in the right area, it is homebrew (or will be). Non Rules dependent really, say the srd, or ct, mgt, t5 they are all about the same yes?
No, the Anagathics rules are edition specific, as they interface highly with the Aging rules, which do differ widely

CT aging is 3 rolls every 4 years from age 34. Nothing in the rules prevents increasing age... Each roll is an unmodified 2d6 for a TN+, and that is set by how old you are.

CT Anagathics just prevent you from making aging saves (TTB, p. 106). (They don't fix your age.) So, going off Anagathics can be quite a wake-up... because you're old and the saves are hard and drop you two points on a fail..

MT Aging is similar to CT, but Anagathics, after 4 years of continuous use, freeze your age until you are off them for more than a month, and if you hit 4 years since last saves, you must make 1 of the three at your current "effective age". When you go off, you immediately take aging saves, and must begin again from scratch. Note that Solomani and Vilani may get positive modifiers on the throws. (The MT S&A book gives Solomani saves as 1 point easier across the board; MT V&V gives Vilani +0 to +5 by line purity...) Lowest save TN is 7+, worst is 10+, so those Vilani mods make a HUGE difference; a Purestrain noted for longevity (+5) starts aging at 34, with (effectively) Str on 3+ Dex Auto, and End 3+...

TNE: Save process is different, and the aging saves are in a different sequence as well. 1d16 for Attribute or less, with a 16 autofailing. Agil at age 29, Str at 37, Con at 48, Int at 61... All of them every 4 years on and after the listed age. Anagathics all have side effects in this edition, too. Apparent age is NOT used for aging saves, experienced age is. (TNE, pp. 31-33)

T4: Different process again: 2d for each attribute starting at 35 and every 5 years after, TN is (Age/10) or higher to avoid losing 1 point, roll for each of Str, Dex, End, and Int starting at 35... (T4 p.22) Anagathics simply halt all aging; time on them, after the first month, does not count for aging at all. (T4, p. 70)

MGT 1E & SRD, Cepheus Engine: 2d6-Terms for 1+, starting at the end of term 4 (Age 34), and each term thereafter (4 years).
0 1 physical –1
–1 2 physicals –1 ea
–2 3 physicals –1 each
–3 2 physicals –1 each
3rd physical –2
–4 2 physicals –2 each
3rd physical –1
–5 3 physicals –2 each
–6 or more 3 Physicals -2 each
1 mental –1

(MGT CRB p. 36) And Anagathics prevent any aging at all while taken. (ibid., p 37)

So, the rules for one are not axiomatically portable to the others easily - as they all work differently.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old February 24th, 2017, 03:08 AM

Straybow Citizen

Well, you can create version-agnostic anagathic rules by superseding the version aging rules entirely.
Han shot first, and per parsec pricing is RAW!
Old February 24th, 2017, 04:08 PM

Gallery : 6
Gray Lensman Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycanorukke
A single 'one off' treatment to live forever seems unlikely unless it is ongoing in some way -
super nanotech or the like.
Not to live forever, just to add some years, and it is a one shot non-renewable (at least at current tech levels)
treatment.

Also, it has been available for a while but there have been different generations of the drug/treatment.

Say something like this:
Gen 1: been around for about 80 years, taken around puberty, adds ~ 100 years or so ...
Gen 2: been around for about 40 years, taken around puberty, adds ~ 200 years or so ...
Gen 3: just now coming out, taken around puberty, adss ~ 300 years or so ...

Kinda expensive, but not totally out of reach for mid tech (at least at star travel levels), middle class folks.

This is roughly what the books have (I haven't read them in a while).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilemall
I suppose it depends on what sort of world you want...snip...I don't know that I would be so fast
to discard the 'fountain of youth' dose dependency meme- should always be a game price for advantage.
Yes there are social issues that would have to be addressed.

@aramis: Thanks, its been awhile, I didn't realize there was that much difference between editions, guess I am
gonna have to drag some old books out
Old February 24th, 2017, 05:01 PM

Xerxeskingofking Citizen+Xerxeskingofking Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycanorukke View Post
A single 'one off' treatment to live forever seems unlikely unless it is ongoing in some way - super nanotech or the like.
the description is not very precise in the honourverse books, but the basics is that the treatment "corrects" the cell copying defects that cause aging, so the body just keeps on running, and doesn't accrue the assorted errors that finally mount up and kill a person. Nanotech is a possibility, as the setting has is very high tech in a "behind the scenes" way (its mentioned off hand a few times, and its not treated as a big deal. they can, for instance, inject a woman with a nanite treatment that would scour her overies and remove all her eggs that carry a certain genetic defect, without affecting any non defective eggs, or anything else, and that this sort of thing is an out-patient treatment.

I think the 1st gen treatments stop the biological age in the 50s, while the second gen treatments stop it in the mid 30s. they are taken quite early (normally admistered at a pre-pubescent age, but can be taken into early 20s). its notable that it slows down all phases of the aging process (it stretches out puberty enough that some of 21 and 22 year old ensigns and 2nd Lts in the books still have a biological age of less than 15)

For the social effects, the books haven't fully explored those, partly because the setting they are in has not yet fully explored them, they simply havn't had the treatments long enough. the oldest character whose age is given that I can think off is aobut 180, but a few effects are noted. Among them, the general decline in birth rates seen today in western contries has continued, and accelerated. fewer people are having less kids, and those that are, tend to have them later in life (since they don't have to worry about a biological time limit, they tend to go have a career, then settle down and raise kids. their is a general slowdown of promotion times, as higher ranking people are no longer retiring to make room, which I think would promise a choking of the promotion ladder at some point in the future (the 180 year old I mentioned is one example of this, as he is the effective head of a navy, and looked set to hold is position as such for decades more, barring outside intervention).
Old February 24th, 2017, 08:05 PM

Gallery : 4
Visit Timerover51's Blog
Timerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved Citizen

I just do not bother with it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

They that go down to the sea in ships,
that do business in great waters;
These see the works of the LORD,
and his wonders in the deep.
Old February 26th, 2017, 02:45 PM
Citizen: SOC-7

OldSalt Citizen

One consequence if such a system would be that a treated individual would see the untreated members of his family, or the general populous, age.

For this effect consider vampire fiction, such as the rather seminal "Varney the Vampire" where an immortal vampire retains a connection with his mortal family, and Tolkien where Gandalf seems to be keeping track of a hobbit family across at least three generations.

I think such an extended lifespan might do strange things to the human psyche, evolved for our current lifespan. For an extreme version of this effect, watch "Zardos".

It is possible that these extended life humans might just stop learning, remembering new faces or maybe even becoming unable to cope with change. In these circumstances such individuals would be a drag on the development of society after initial gains, here and there.