Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > Software Solutions

Software Solutions Discussions on Traveller related software.

View Poll Results: What Programming Languages do you currently code in?
C/C++ 31 39.24%
Go 6 7.59%
Windows Based (C#, .Net, etc) 25 31.65%
Python 32 40.51%
Perl 18 22.78%
Java 15 18.99%
Ruby 5 6.33%
PHP 10 12.66%
Shell 20 25.32%
Other(please post) 25 31.65%
JavaScript/ECMAScript 22 27.85%
SQL 24 30.38%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 11th, 2020, 11:10 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grav_Moped View Post
I vaguely remember Forth (a version for the Commodore VIC-20). As a near-novice at the time, it struck me that without a pre-packaged library of words, you had to build the whole language from scratch before you could program in it.
At the time, the only real difference between BASIC and Forth in term of capability is a built in string package.

The other would be cassette/disk I/O. Forth had it, naturally, (the BLOCK and SCREEN system), but it wasn't as sophisticated as what BASIC had to offer, notably because Forth lacked a formal file system.

In truth is was quite simple to work with disk records in Forth on structured data, but if you wanted use the equivalent of BASIC PRINT statement to a file, that was a different beast.
Old November 11th, 2020, 12:15 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 16
Proneutron Citizen+Proneutron Citizen+

Quote:
I vaguely remember Forth (a version for the Commodore VIC-20). As a near-novice at the time, it struck me that without a pre-packaged library of words, you had to build the whole language from scratch before you could program in it.

Maybe I missed something.

Currently the only programming I do is in BASIC, and very little of that.
The basic commands existed. What you did was build routines (sentences) which you saved and were reusable. It really wasn't designed for creating "office" applications. BASIC was far better for simple and slow apps like that. Where FORTH was unparalleled at was for real-time processing. Like signal processing. Stuff where before you'd use assembler for speed and compact executables, you could now use Forth

I haven't programmed in forever. Doesn't match my temperament. I prefer working with people as a manager or executive. Although I am retired mostly
now.
Old November 11th, 2020, 01:21 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

wbuthod Citizen

Quote:

Maybe I missed something.
Probably the community. FIG (FORTH Interest Group) shared a lot of dictionaries you could incorporate into your own. It sped things up a bit.

FORTH has its uses in the world. Just not anywhere near me at the moment.
Old November 11th, 2020, 02:13 PM

Gallery : 16
Proneutron Citizen+Proneutron Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbuthod View Post
Probably the community. FIG (FORTH Interest Group) shared a lot of dictionaries you could incorporate into your own. It sped things up a bit.

FORTH has its uses in the world. Just not anywhere near me at the moment.
Here's a group http://www.figuk.plus.com/forth_in_uk.htm
Old November 11th, 2020, 03:31 PM

ShawnDriscoll Citizen+ShawnDriscoll Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leitz View Post
Sorry about that, C and C++ are likely very different groups of programmers. I wonder which of the two has the majority vote.
If you're doing dev work for Python (especially CPython), then C/C++ will be your main programming language still.
Old January 12th, 2021, 05:56 AM

saundby Citizen

It's worth noting that C# hasn't been exclusively for Windows for a long time now, and that Mono brings most of .Net to Linux and Mac.

I use it extensively as a multiplatform development system. I do most of my development on Linux, then create bundles (executable packages) for Mac and Windows. About 5-10% of my development with it happens on Windows.
Old January 12th, 2021, 02:14 PM

whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by saundby View Post
It's worth noting that C# hasn't been exclusively for Windows for a long time now, and that Mono brings most of .Net to Linux and Mac.

I use it extensively as a multiplatform development system. I do most of my development on Linux, then create bundles (executable packages) for Mac and Windows. About 5-10% of my development with it happens on Windows.
How much of this is basic command line stuff or server/web service stuff vs GUI interactive stuff?

How portable is a .Net GUI today?
Old January 13th, 2021, 02:57 PM
Citizen: SOC-6

zamosc Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by whartung View Post
How much of this is basic command line stuff or server/web service stuff vs GUI interactive stuff?

How portable is a .Net GUI today?
I am only a hobbyist that still use ASM6502, Z80-ASM, Commodore basic, Go, Perl, Tcl, C and Arduino programming language.

Yet I think the most common route to use the .net framework is to use .NET CORE; however, this is really for only CLI based applications. But I have seen NET CORE used with the GTK package for linux/window based GUIs. I have not seen to many new Mono projects. Would be really epic if someone made a NET CORE Tk binding.

Been doing some C and Go programming recently myself, and I have looked at Lua programming for some game stuff and robot stuff, since I mainly focus on building items for TI calculators and interfacing with external sensors or actuators. It is cool to have Alexa, but even better to have stuff controlled by your TI-Nspire

In my industry, we mostly use Tcl and some new hardware is starting to use Lua. This is due to being able to embed Tcl and Lua into a C program that only takes kB of space or to have it part of an embedded operating system.

However, recently I have been porting my tools from Python over to Go. Coming from a Perl background, Python just always seemed 'meh...' to me, since Perl did it first. Sometimes I am not sure I want batteries included, and if the library used in batteries included is not updated, it could be further out of date then a external module, which in the the end defeats the purpose of having batteries included.
Old January 15th, 2021, 01:42 PM

ShawnDriscoll Citizen+ShawnDriscoll Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis View Post
I only go to C these days when I hit 20K iterations or more while doing a stats run.
I recently moved over to Cython for doing iterations much faster.
Old January 15th, 2021, 04:05 PM
Citizen: SOC-6

zamosc Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnDriscoll View Post
I recently moved over to Cython for doing iterations much faster.
I enjoy your Youtube Videos if you are the same person.

I thought Cython was the same as Python; however, I could be very wrong, since I am not very well versed in Python or the Python ecosystem.

I think Eve uses Cython.