Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > In My Traveller Universe

In My Traveller Universe Detail what parts of Traveller you do (or don't) use in your campaign.

Old August 16th, 2020, 11:47 AM
Citizen: SOC-9

Gallery : 0
Madmax Citizen
Default Converting famous Science Fiction to Traveller

I was wondering if anyone has tried using Traveller to create a campaign directly set in any specific well known Science Fiction setting, and how well the campaign went.
I am thinking of something like, for example, 2001 a Space Odyssey as the background, or maybe Asimov's Foundation universe, or Alien, or many others.
I ask because I would imagine the big advantage of doing that would be the players would be immediately drawn into the setting, but the disadvantage might be that the players are TOO familiar, i.e. they have too much foreknowledge.
How did doing this compare to being in a more OTU, or home grown, type of campaign? More fun, less fun, about the same? Was it more work, less work, about the same? Etc.
Old August 16th, 2020, 12:02 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 2
creativehum Citizen++creativehum Citizen++creativehum Citizen++creativehum Citizen++

I know that Mike Wightman, who posts here regularly, has used the original Traveller rules to play in the Star Wars setting, the Culture series setting, and, I believe, one other Big Name setting... but I might be wrong about that.
Old August 16th, 2020, 03:12 PM

Gallery : 4
Visit timerover51's Blog
timerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizen

One setting that really would work converted to Traveller would be Andre Norton's "Solar Queen" series. Sargasso of Space would be a fantastic setting for an adventure or even a short campaign. Then you have the range of settings in Plague Ship, along with Voodoo Planet with its magic. Postmarked the Stars would be good as well, and probably would not be so well known to players. Plague Ship and Voodoo Planet can be downloaded online. I am basing some of my worlds in the sector I am creating on Norton's book, as well as how I crew Free Traders.

While H. Beam Piper's Space Vikings would likely be too well known to players, considering it is likely the basis for the Sword Worlds, some of his other stories would be good, and most can be downloaded online.

Lastly, James Schmitz's Witches of Karres would be a good one, with a psionic space drive to add as well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

They that go down to the sea in ships,
that do business in great waters;
These see the works of the LORD,
and his wonders in the deep.
Old August 16th, 2020, 05:43 PM

Madmax Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by timerover51 View Post
One setting that really would work converted to Traveller would be Andre Norton's "Solar Queen" series...
Well, thanks, but I am not asking for recommendations, rather I am asking what actual experiences referees and players have had using famous settings, i.e. was the whole idea of using a setting that is already known to the players really an advantage in playing the game or a disadvantage, or something else?
Old August 16th, 2020, 06:30 PM

Gallery : 3
GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmax View Post
...was the whole idea of using a setting that is already known to the players really an advantage in playing the game or a disadvantage, or something else?
That really depends on the players, and the details of the setting. Some settings have so much "needed" detail that you have to be more of a setting geek than any of your players or "that guy" will start calling you on mistakes.

"Alright. Where did that Beaker get a cred stick?"
(Website down until further notice)
Old August 16th, 2020, 06:48 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 56
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

I've used CT for Star Trek - once - I was totally unsatisfied with it, especially since I had FASA Trek.

I used CT for Tron, again, once. I was satisfied, no one in the group was.

I've more often ported the other way; OTU in: GURPS (before the official port), Vampire, EABA, 2300

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old August 17th, 2020, 03:50 AM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

In no particular order:
Star Wars - typical group of rebels vs the Empire, worked just fine.
Dune - a minor house discovering the resources on their planet that would grant them major status if exploited correctly, great fun.
Culture - special circumstances call upon the characters to solve a variety of 'conflicts', so far it has never failed to provide entertainment
Alliance/Union - based on the worlks of CJ Cherryh - very good fit to Traveller
Lensmen - who doesn't like fighting pirates, drug smugglers and terrorists?
Stainless Steel Rat - great scope for doing something with a group of characters who finally get caught, you now work for 'them'
Various books by Niven and Pournelle have inspired Known Space and CoDominium shenanigans.

I really want to run a long term campaign based on Peter Hamilton's Reality Dysfunction setting - I have dipped into the setting from time to time bit never gone full on.

And how could I have forgotten this one - The Pliocene Exiles saga by Julian May - I had great fun expanding the Traveller psionics rules to fit the setting.
Old August 17th, 2020, 04:23 AM

Madmax Citizen

I don't know, maybe I am not expressing well what I am looking for, so let me try again and give an actual example.

I recently have been re-watching Star Gate Universe, and have been wondering what difficulties would there be for trying to create a Traveller game set in the Star Gate milieu? The main scenario might be something like SG1, or SG Atlantis, or SGU, or some home made variant.
So I am asking what sort of difficulties/hurdles one needs to watch out for, and be prepared to deal with, when making an existing background into a Traveller game. Are there things that are definitely deal killers when it comes to making such conversions?

Please don't give suggestions for StarGate, I am just using it as an example.
Please do not give lists of SciFi backgrounds that you have used or think would work well.
I am interested in what the process for such conversions is, and what methods have/have not worked.
I was hoping to learn from the experiences of others what pitfalls to avoid, and what aspects of such games are worth focusing on.
Old August 17th, 2020, 05:24 AM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

First of all know the setting you wish to use very well. Write down its underlying tech assumptions. Look at the characters in the setting you wish to emulate and then look at the typical traveller career paths, including CotI careers and also Other.

Are there any skills in Traveller that will need to be interpreted for the setting, are there any skills that are missing, can you adapt what is there already.

Consider the scenarios you wish to present and the likely characters that players will wish to generate in order to play in those scenarios.

Make sure all the players are on the same page as you with regards to setting details.

Traveller is a fairly easy rule system to adapt to any sci fi setting, characters have stats, skills, a prior career, and starting resources - all of which can be adapted to the setting you choose.
Old August 17th, 2020, 06:19 AM

Visit McPerth's Blog
McPerth has disabled reputation

The first campaig I ran years ago was loosly inspired by Battlestar Galactica.

BY then I only had TTB, and so I had little to no idea of the OTU, and the players were contacted by an the Scouts that had received news (though a far missjumped small ship) of a wandering fleet looking for human territory (Galactica fleet, of course) and they were given the midsion to look for it in unexplored territory past the Varg Extents and help them to reach Imperial territory.

I'm not afraid about bullets, what scares me is the speed at which they're incoming.