Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > In My Traveller Universe

In My Traveller Universe Detail what parts of Traveller you do (or don't) use in your campaign.

Old June 29th, 2020, 01:38 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++

Old July 1st, 2020, 01:22 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

BRover Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBat242 View Post
See also Cherryh, Carolyn J., Alliance-Union universe.

Sometimes the hallucinations include seeing alternate versions of their own ship, with the other crew usually unaware of their presence... but occasionally reacting to them.
Niven's Known Space had a similarly unsettling response to hyperspace, IIRC--only if you looked at it, you saw nothing. That is, your visual cortex in the brain shut down, and you got "trapped" until someone came along and moved you so some "normal" space was in your visual field, and you could see again.

Our Traveller Universes clearly are at variance. Blessed be the variance!
Old July 1st, 2020, 01:25 PM

BRover Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbuthod View Post
That's... interesting. I met CJ and her artist brother David (no "h" in his last name) back in the 80's SF convention scene. I have the whole "Faded Sun" series autographed. But I've never read her Alliance-Union work. I started "Downbelow Station" but never finished it, because at the time I felt like it plodded. I ought to take it off the shelf again.
She added the "h", IIRC, at her editor's suggestion, because in those days female science fiction authors were not the thing--and one named ""Cherry" would have been the kiss of death. Hence also going by her initials CJ to disguise her gender.

Leigh Bracket had the advantage of a first name not obviously female--but "Carolyn Janice Cherry" was a give-away. Wikipedia:
"Cherryh (pronounced 'Cherry') appended a silent 'h' to her real name because her first editor, Donald A. Wollheim, felt that 'Cherry' sounded too much like a romance writer. She used only her initials, C.J., to disguise that she was female at a time when the majority of science fiction authors were male."

Last edited by BRover; July 1st, 2020 at 02:53 PM..
Old July 1st, 2020, 01:27 PM

BRover Citizen

Another take on "Jump dimming" is similar to modern air-conditioned autos: when the accelerator is pushed, the air conditioning is cut out for a few minutes to give more power for accelerating the car. Most often, the cut out is so brief that the cooling is basically not affected.

Last edited by BRover; July 1st, 2020 at 02:49 PM..
Old July 10th, 2020, 10:34 AM
Citizen: SOC-5

Adrix Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRover View Post
Niven's Known Space had a similarly unsettling response to hyperspace, IIRC--only if you looked at it, you saw nothing. That is, your visual cortex in the brain shut down, and you got "trapped" until someone came along and moved you so some "normal" space was in your visual field, and you could see again.
I, too, have also adopted Niven's view of hyper/jump space, with some alterations.

There is some evidence of when viewing the apex of jumpspace, mental destabilization can occur, causing mental traumas or 'Space Madness'. This 'madness' covers illnesses across the board, however does seem to lean heavily toward psychopathic behavior. It is for this reason, all viewscreens and portholes/windows are deactivated or closed on many vessels during jump procedures.

Interestingly, a Travelling sect of Buddhist Monks find tranquility while gazing into the apex. They often trade their services for travel, which are greatly prized among spacers for their efficiency (and you don't have to pay them, said the grizzled old Merchant Captain ...) The only stipulation the Monks request is time to meditate before an open porthole during Jump.

It is also said that Zhodani are immune to the maddening effects of jumpspace; which begs the question is there a correlational between the meditative practices of the Monks and Psionics ability ...
Old July 10th, 2020, 05:01 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++

Old July 10th, 2020, 07:43 PM
Baron

Gallery : 103
Visit coliver988's Blog
coliver988 Citizen+coliver988 Citizen+coliver988 Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRover View Post
Another take on "Jump dimming" is similar to modern air-conditioned autos: when the accelerator is pushed, the air conditioning is cut out for a few minutes to give more power for accelerating the car. Most often, the cut out is so brief that the cooling is basically not affected.
My wife's '99 CR-V, approaching 300K miles: going up hills we turn off the AC to help. Better than my '91 MR-2: no A/C for the last 15+ years. but hey, it does have t-tops!

interestingly my mother-in-law's BMW actually turns off when you come to a complete stop, then restarts when you press the accellerator. It was disconcerting until I got used to it though you barely notice.

edit: forgot to post in MTU all ship captain's do the dimming thing, as well as the first meal of the jump is a very special occasion. For passengers/crew for their first jump, I've yet to come up with anything but I think that is my next evolution after reading this thread.

Duke of The Solomani RimLANGELOS A4249A6-FLangelos Write Up AlphaTrane / Glisten 2038
Baron, IpkurIpkur C564543-9Ipkur Write Up AlphaRomar / Glisten 2140
Knight of the Third Imperium [x2]Rhylanor A434934-FCyan / Trojan Reach 2102
Knight of the Third ImperiumIkuna E000410-AKryslion / Trojan Reach 2002
MCG For Conspicuous GallantryThe Assault On AlellSelshor / Trojan Reach 1402
Travellers Aid Society 2798Dudid B510526-9Blog - mix of OTU and MTUhttp://traveller-ct.blogspot.com/
Pilots Guide To D'Arlee QuadrantTraveller Github spacehttps://github.com/COliver988/Traveller
Old July 10th, 2020, 09:01 PM

BRJN Citizen+BRJN Citizen+

Dedicated passenger liners have Game Night about two-thirds of the way through the trip. (About the time for children to get bored and start wandering around the ship looking for excitement.) The stewards have games like Sorry, Uno, Old Maid, &c (Monopoly for the older minors) that give an excuse to meet other passengers and spend time interacting with live people.
When possible crew-led games arrange for every child to win once. So they have something to be happy and excited about.
Old July 13th, 2020, 09:48 AM

BRover Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrix View Post
Interestingly, a Travelling sect of Buddhist Monks find tranquility while gazing into the apex. They often trade their services for travel, which are greatly prized among spacers for their efficiency (and you don't have to pay them, said the grizzled old Merchant Captain ...) The only stipulation the Monks request is time to meditate before an open porthole during Jump.

It is also said that Zhodani are immune to the maddening effects of jumpspace; which begs the question is there a correlational between the meditative practices of the Monks and Psionics ability ...
Only Buddhist monks? There are plenty of other monastic traditions running around. Many seem to have developed in the 5th Cent. BCE or thereabouts, for some reason . . .

Old July 13th, 2020, 09:50 AM

BRover Citizen

coliver988, your remark about developing new traditions is exactly one result I was hoping for--as well as getting new ideas to develop for my own TU . . .