Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > In My Traveller Universe

In My Traveller Universe Detail what parts of Traveller you do (or don't) use in your campaign.

Old June 25th, 2020, 10:14 PM
Count

Gallery : 5
Visit Spinward Scout's Blog
Spinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Condottiere View Post
Aboard Solomani free traders, a ship’s cat will be a valued part of the crew, startling non-Solomani passengers when it suddenly streaks down a corridor in pursuit of rats or other non-terrestrial vermin.
What about when it hisses at something behind you?
Old June 25th, 2020, 11:03 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 0
Grav_Moped Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinward Scout View Post
What about when it hisses at something behind you?
... that isn't there.

(Or IS it?)
Old June 26th, 2020, 02:48 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Straybow Citizen

Yeah, but you can sail a whole lot and never cross the equator. Your first trip is your first jump. It has to be something else that would be an occasion of note. I'm drawing a blank.
Han shot first, and per parsec pricing is RAW!
Old June 26th, 2020, 04:40 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

BRover Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straybow View Post
Yeah, but you can sail a whole lot and never cross the equator. Your first trip is your first jump. It has to be something else that would be an occasion of note. I'm drawing a blank.
First crossing into a new subsector (or new sector)?

Our Traveller Universes clearly are at variance. Blessed be the variance!
Old June 26th, 2020, 07:24 AM

Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++

Aboard the USCSS Nostromo, Jonesy leads a simple life enjoying The Company cat food and chasing space rodents. Until one day, his cryostasis catnap is rudely interrupted. The humans have a new pet and it's definitely not house-trained.

In space, no one can hear you meow.

Old June 26th, 2020, 11:44 AM

wbuthod Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Brazil View Post
For one why only the pinkie?. Why not the bury entire body or go for total cremation?
Recycling limited resources. Waste not, want not, etc. And while arable land is a limited resource, burial spaces is always in demand. [STRIKETHROUGH](People are always dying to get some.)[/STRIKETHROUGH]
Old June 29th, 2020, 02:08 AM

BlackBat242 Citizen+BlackBat242 Citizen+BlackBat242 Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbuthod View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxeskingofking View Post
Jump Ghosts: a type of apparition that is sometimes seen by people in jumpspace. Passengers and Crew of ships in jump have reported glimpses of people apparently walking down corridors that are empty on a second glance, or movement in the cargo hold after its been depressurised to hard vacuum. Often, these figures are discribed as being dressed in antiquated styles of clothes, often hundreds of years old of fashion.

Some maintain this is just the minds of humans cooped up too long playing tricks on them, but the phenomenon is not unique to humanti, but present in almost every intelligent spacefareing species, and supposed sightings are common enough that its hard to entirely dismiss the idea that they might be real. The Aslan hold that these sightings are our ancestors checking on us, seeing if we still live up to their standards. The Zhodani say they think these sightings are a manifestation of latent psychic potential, and what people see is some sort of "echo" of events on some ship in the distant past, but this idea has little traction in many rabidly anti-psionic imperial citizens.
Reminds me of David Drake's RCN series. Quoting TV Tropes (link to page), "Hyperspace Is a Scary Place: Too much time spent in the Matrix (the series' means of FTL travel, no relation to the film by that name) causes humans to hallucinate, though it's implied that in some cases they may be seeing into alternate realities rather than hallucinating."

Are those hallucinations after-images of the void-borne?
See also Cherryh, Carolyn J., Alliance-Union universe*.
Quote:
The experience of jump is unpleasant enough to threaten the sanity of most of those who endure it without being tranquilized – spacers seem to fear few things more than "jump without trank".
Jump (Alliance–Union universe)
Quote:
For humans, the jump from realspace to hyperspace is perceived as the ship (and themselves) coming apart, and it became necessary to develop "trank-packs" that administer tranquilizers to the crews of FTL ships prior to jumping.
Sometimes the hallucinations include seeing alternate versions of their own ship, with the other crew usually unaware of their presence... but occasionally reacting to them.

* Alliance–Union universe
Old June 29th, 2020, 02:10 AM

BlackBat242 Citizen+BlackBat242 Citizen+BlackBat242 Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRover View Post
Traveller, even the OTU/3I, seems short on customs and (especially) supersitions--offhand, the Low Passage Lottery, private messages, and Jump Dimming (Vilani tradition) are a few that spring to mind.
OK - I've never come across the term "Jump Dimming" before... but then. I've never read the rules or other materials for editions other than CT.
Old June 29th, 2020, 12:23 PM

wbuthod Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBat242 View Post
See also Cherryh, Carolyn J., Alliance-Union universe*.
That's... interesting. I met CJ and her artist brother David (no "h" in his last name) back in the 80's SF convention scene. I have the whole "Faded Sun" series autographed. But I've never read her Alliance-Union work. I started "Downbelow Station" but never finished it, because at the time I felt like it plodded. I ought to take it off the shelf again.

Last edited by wbuthod; June 29th, 2020 at 12:28 PM.. Reason: spelling.
Old June 29th, 2020, 12:24 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Xerxeskingofking Citizen+Xerxeskingofking Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBat242 View Post
OK - I've never come across the term "Jump Dimming" before... but then. I've never read the rules or other materials for editions other than CT.
it came form Megatraveller, if i remember correctly.

the tradition was that, due to early vlani jump drives basically needed every watt of power the fusion plants could push out, they would dim the cabin lights and turn off the A/C, and other non essential power drains for the critical few minutes of the jump itself, then swtich everything back on once they were "safely" in Jspace. They carried on doing this even after they no longer needed, eventually becoming just a symbolic reduction in cabin lights.
O it's " Thin red line of 'eroes, " when the drums begin to roll.

"Tommy", Rudyard Kipling