Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Classic Traveller

Classic Traveller Discussion on the granddaddy of them all, Classic Traveller!

Old January 24th, 2020, 10:33 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
Graham2001 Citizen
Default Weapons conversion Mercenary to Striker

Is there a document covering the conversion of Mercenaries Plasma & Fusion 'X, Y & Z' weapons to strikers more detailed system?
Old January 25th, 2020, 07:46 AM
Citizen: SOC-7

TNE2300 Citizen

isn't that in

Striker book 3
pages 34 and 35?

or am I misunderstanding the question?
Old January 25th, 2020, 10:44 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

kilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizen

The X Y Z guns are IN Striker as listed equipment.

What's more, each flavor of gun gets a tech upgrade per higher TL, so by the time the A plasma gun reaches TL15 it's effectively a man-carried heavy weapon that can penetrate unarmored starships and fire rapid pulse.
Old January 26th, 2020, 04:22 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

jec10 Citizen

Graham,

do you want to re-create the vehicles from the JTAS amber zone "Search and Destroy" using CT/Striker?

I'll do it for you.

There is a spreadsheet that takes literally five minutes per vehicle.

Just give me the basic details.
Old January 26th, 2020, 05:00 AM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

I could be wrong but I think what the OP is asking is can you use design sequence 7 to recreate the values listed for the stock plasma A-C and fusion X-Z guns that are in the weapon tables, and if so is there a spreadsheet or walkthough showing how.
Old January 26th, 2020, 11:35 PM

jec10 Citizen

As others have said, those weapons are already fully detailed in Book 3 of CT/Striker. No need to design anything, they're already done.
Old January 27th, 2020, 12:54 PM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

Are they reproducable by the design system though - if not either the design system is broken or the stock numbers are...
If design sequence 7 can come up with the stock numbers in the weapon tables then all is well. I've never actually tried this out...
Old January 27th, 2020, 02:41 PM

Gallery : 10
nobby-w Citizen+nobby-w Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike wightman View Post
Are they reproducable by the design system though - if not either the design system is broken or the stock numbers are...
If design sequence 7 can come up with the stock numbers in the weapon tables then all is well. I've never actually tried this out...
Yes they are, for certain values of Yes. The guns all have the same range as quoted in Book 4, although I don't think the weights and prices line up exactly.
Mercenary also doesn't make any representations as to the power plants needed to power the weapons.

There are a few minor niggles with the designs. For example, the 'B' gun sits just below the threshold where it gets a burst at extreme range, which seems a bit silly from a utility perspective. I also think that the inverse square law of range makes the A-gun rather smaller than one would expect to put on a grav tank, so some of the tech as described in Mercenary doesn't make a lot of sense mechanically if you try to implement it in Striker.

If you diddle the power plant scale efficiencies a bit then you can make sensible TL11 grav tanks with a B-gun that makes sense (around 17MW) and a level of armour commensurate with energy weapons in this power range. The tanks will weigh in at about 70-100t. You can do something similar at TL10 by making the A-gun a bit larger, somewhere in the 10-15MW range. It still has no burst at extreme range, and long will be about 3-3.5km. This is longer than the canonical A-gun, but it works if you hold your head just right and think of it in terms of a first-generation grav tank.

I used to hand-wave this a bit and view self-propelled A-guns as something like a close support weapon rather than a tank. I would build a design that had enough power to power the gun or fly but not both (also somewhat canonical). However, as the gun is only useful out to Long range (2.5km) the vehicles had to be small and cheap to be worthwhile, hence the self-propelled gun designs coming in a bit over Cr1m.

Unfortunately the RAW scale efficiencies have a gap in the range where a B-gun armed grav tank would be a sensible scale, making the smallest sensible grav tanks a bit bigger than this and needing a 10m3 power plant to make a break point. You can design a 27MW power plant (weighing 36t) or a 40MW power plant (weighing 40t) but nothing in between. Building off a 40MW plant will wind you up with a tank in the 120-150t range mounting a 20-25MW gun; you can also do this at TL10. This still works for a skirmish but it doesn't quite line up with the descriptions in Book 4. There is a similar disconnect with the X and Y guns at TL12-13.

Unfortunately, if you take the power plant up to 14M3 then you get double the power for not much more cost and you're into the leviathans that are pretty much invulnerable to anything else on the battle field, and thus kinda boring. This is more of an issue if you're doing TCS style Striker where the players design all their kit as well as put it into battle.

Last edited by nobby-w; January 28th, 2020 at 06:50 PM..
Old January 27th, 2020, 05:13 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike wightman View Post
if not either the design system is broken or the stock numbers are...
Haven't pretty much all of the equipment, historically, been this way?
Old January 28th, 2020, 03:38 AM

jec10 Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobby-w View Post
Yes they are, for certain values of Yes. The guns all have the same range as quoted in Book 4, although I don't think the weights and prices line up exactly.
Mercenary also doesn't make any representations as to the power plants needed to power the weapons.

There are a few minor niggles with the designs. For example, the 'B' gun sits just below the threshold where it gets a burst at extreme range, which seems a bit silly from a utility perspective. I also think that the inverse square law of range makes the A-gun rather smaller than one would expect to put on a grav tank, so some of the tech as described in Mercenary doesn't make a lot of sense mechanically if you try to implement it in Striker.

If you diddle the power plant scale efficiencies a bit then you can make sensible TL11 grav tanks with a B-gun that makes sense (around 17MW) and a level of armour commensurate with energy weapons in this power range. The tanks will weigh in at about 70-100t. You can do something similar at TL10 by making the A-gun a bit larger, somewhere in the 10-15MW range. It still has no burst at extreme range, and long will be about 3-3.5km. This is longer than the canonical A-gun, but it works if you hold your head just right and think of it in terms of a first-generation grav tank.

I used to hand-wave this a bit and view self-propelled A-guns as something like a close support weapon rather than a tank. I would build a design that had enough power to power the gun or fly but not both (also somewhat canonical). However, as the gun is only useful out to Long range (2.5km) the vehicles had to be small and cheap to be worthwhile, hence the self-propelled gun designs coming in a bit over Cr1m.

Unfortunately the RAW scale efficiencies have a gap in the range where a B-gun armed grav tank would be a sensible scale, making the smallest sensible grav tanks a bit bigger than this and needing a 10m3 power plant to make a break point. You can design a 27MW power plant (weighing 36t) or a 40MW power plant (weighing 40t) but nothing in between. Building off a 40MW plant will wind you up with a tank in the 120-150t range mounting a 20-25MW gun. This still works for a skirmish but it doesn't quite line up with the descriptions in Book 4.

Unfortunately, if you take the power plant up to 14M3 then you get double the power for not much more cost and you're into the leviathans that are pretty much invulnerable to anything else on the battle field, and thus kinda boring. This is more of an issue if you're doing TCS style Striker where the players design all their kit as well as put it into battle.

If I'm designing for an army I'm going to use in a competitive sense then I'll ignore the stock energy weapons and design from scratch using a spreadsheet.