Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Classic Traveller

Classic Traveller Discussion on the granddaddy of them all, Classic Traveller!

Old January 29th, 2019, 11:45 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
Maksim-Smelchak Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilemall View Post
Basically, Heighliners from Dune.
More or less. Sort of...

Shalom,
M.
Old February 1st, 2019, 10:02 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

Xerxeskingofking Citizen+Xerxeskingofking Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilemall View Post
Basically, Heighliners from Dune.
indeed, although my go-to example would the JumpShip/DropShip model of the BattleTech universe.

in that setting, while large companies and governments maintain their own JumpShip fleets, a lot of the JumpShips are independently owned by small, one or two ship merchant companies and make a living by hiring out docking space to DropShips wanting transport (JumpShips owned by the megacorps and governments also sell docking space as a side-line). Their is enough ships using this "pick up" system that it works well enough to keep many merchant companies afloat without needing to own their own JumpShips (i.e. they can get transport to and form their home and destination worlds reliably enough to turn a regular profit, and Jumpships can turn a profit shifting these Dropships around).
O it's " Thin red line of 'eroes, " when the drums begin to roll.

"Tommy", Rudyard Kipling
Old February 1st, 2019, 01:05 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Visit McPerth's Blog
McPerth has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxeskingofking View Post
indeed, although my go-to example would the JumpShip/DropShip model of the BattleTech universe.

in that setting, while large companies and governments maintain their own JumpShip fleets, a lot of the JumpShips are independently owned by small, one or two ship merchant companies and make a living by hiring out docking space to DropShips wanting transport (JumpShips owned by the megacorps and governments also sell docking space as a side-line). Their is enough ships using this "pick up" system that it works well enough to keep many merchant companies afloat without needing to own their own JumpShips (i.e. they can get transport to and form their home and destination worlds reliably enough to turn a regular profit, and Jumpships can turn a profit shifting these Dropships around).
A good universe for my Star Class Jump Frame and Barges...

I'm not afraid about bullets, what scares me is the speed at which they're incoming.
Old February 3rd, 2019, 03:07 PM

Gallery : 4
Visit timerover51's Blog
timerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizen

Looking at the original post, is there another "Timerover" on the forum? One does not show up in the members list, but I am not sure how up to date that is.

Second, stellar masking is not mentioned at all in Classic Traveller, and I have never bothered with it. I go with 100 diameters away from the nearest gravitational mass, and then you Jump. Adding the diameter of the star into the equation just complicates things.

Third, since Regina is apparently the satellite of a Gas Giant, which also means that it must be fairly close to the star, what is the appropriate Jump parameter for it?

Lastly, what would be the correct jump distance for a White Dwarf, a neutron star, or a black hole?

I just wish to make sure that I make no claim to originating this thread.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

They that go down to the sea in ships,
that do business in great waters;
These see the works of the LORD,
and his wonders in the deep.
Old February 3rd, 2019, 03:25 PM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

Supplement 4 is referring to you - he provides a link to a post you made.
Old February 3rd, 2019, 05:48 PM

Gallery : 4
Visit timerover51's Blog
timerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike wightman View Post
Supplement 4 is referring to you - he provides a link to a post you made.
Then where is the 51 following the Timerover.

As I said, I take no responsibility for this thread.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

They that go down to the sea in ships,
that do business in great waters;
These see the works of the LORD,
and his wonders in the deep.
Old February 3rd, 2019, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timerover51 View Post
Then where is the 51 following the Timerover.

As I said, I take no responsibility for this thread.
did you click on the hyperlink to the post he is citing? the one that leads to a thread started by you (specifically, your thread on gas giant skimming)?

he is talking about you, he just didn't put the 51 on the end. Not being Sup4. I can only presume, but I would guess that he thought it unnecessary, Given that their is only one timerover of note on these forums, that being you.

also, he doesn't say the thread was your idea, just that he had the idea while reading your thread, and spun it off form their.

"Tommy", Rudyard Kipling
Old February 3rd, 2019, 10:03 PM

Gallery : 3
GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++

Quote:
Originally Posted by timerover51 View Post
Third, since Regina is apparently the satellite of a Gas Giant, which also means that it must be fairly close to the star, what is the appropriate Jump parameter for it?
This was established in Book 6, IIRC. It is hardly new information.

Regina's gas giant, Assiniboia, is in Orbit 4 (1.6 AU) around an F7 V star (1.4 Stellar radii), and so is outside the star's jump horizon. Regina is in orbit 55 (for moons, that means 55 planetary radii) of the gas giant, or 145 radii inside the jump horizon. Using Jupiter's numbers, that is roughly 10 million kilometers inside Assiniboia's jump horizon. Assiniboia is about 40 million kilometers outside the star's jump horizon, for what it's worth.

As an aside, here is the footnote on page 46 of Scouts:
"Solar radii can also be used to determine if a location is more than 100 diameters out from the star for jump purposes."
While masking wasn't called that in CT, necessarily, the concept was certainly in place once there was enough information to make it calculable.

"Alright. Where did that Beaker get a cred stick?"
(Website down until further notice)
Old February 4th, 2019, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPerth View Post
A good universe for my Star Class Jump Frame and Barges...
in a similar vein, my high G shuttles would also be a good fit for this idea, as the long, enforced realspace travel would let them make full use of their 9G drives. I havnt worked out what it would be for one of those 66 day trips, but considering the trip I did work out was about a third the length, I feel it might bring it down to 15-20 days or so.

obviously, MgT2e only, but the idea would work at 6G as well.

"Tommy", Rudyard Kipling
Old March 3rd, 2019, 06:15 AM

Straybow Citizen

NO WAY!

The list of travel times for mainworlds in the post linked by Xerxes is off by ORDERS OF MAGNITUDE!

A transit of 1 billion km takes only 7.3 days at 1G. Menorb, for example, is listed as taking 66 days. That would be 81 billion km, or 541 AU. How big did the list maker think Menorb's primary was?

Menorb is K2 V (typically ~0.8 Msol, 0.735 Rsol) which makes the 100.5 diameter jump shadow roughly 103M km. At 2√(D/A) that makes 1G (10m/s) travel time 56.4 hours (not days) to reach the star. Hab zone edge is approx 0.35AU = 52M km for a differential of only 51M km. Travel time at 1G is only 39.7 hours.

Actual travel time will be less than that. The navigator should plot jump exit behind the planet's orbital position, so that travel to the planet involves catching up to the planet's orbital speed. That means spending more time accelerating and less time decelerating to match speed. For Menorb orbital velocity might be around 40-50 km/s, trimming 2-3 hours off transit time.

One might point out that stellar masking has very little effect if the vector of travel is nearly perpendicular to the plane of the destination planet's orbit. You will come out of jump space a relatively short distance out of the orbital plane. On the other hand, if the star system happens to be close to edge-on from the originating system, then at some times of the year the destination world is on the far side of the star. The jump needs to be planned to skirt the edge of the stellar shadow and drop out of J space some distance out of plane. It wouldn't be clear on the far side of the star, as though the route were restricted to the plane of orbit.

Then again, stellar masking of the originating star system might be more significant. One must travel not only to outside the star's jump shadow, but also where the line of travel to the destination isn't masked.

Without actually making a universal calendar for the orbits of all the inhabited worlds, and putting 3D orbital plane information for each system, it isn't something one can realistically track. I suppose one could build up an almanac of visited worlds, adding this information as players travel. Still maybe more difficulty than it's worth.
Han shot first, and per parsec pricing is RAW!