Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > In My Traveller Universe

In My Traveller Universe Detail what parts of Traveller you do (or don't) use in your campaign.

Old October 23rd, 2018, 10:41 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
77topaz Citizen
Default Empty Stars

While browsing TravellerMap today, I noticed the appearance of a large group of (unofficial) sectors to rim-spinward of Charted Space that I hadn't seen before. Looking at the Wiki, this region appears to be called the Empty Stars, and created by Ade Stewart ("Alegoric"). In general, there appears to be a very large amount of information/content about this region/setting on the Wiki (more than 1000 pages, a noticeable fraction of the Wiki's 36k total), and the TravellerMap data for the region spans an impressive 67 sectors, but I couldn't find any discussion about it on these forums. So, I decided to create a thread for this setting, since I think it deserves one!

Last edited by 77topaz; October 24th, 2018 at 05:21 AM..
Old October 24th, 2018, 04:16 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

Grav_Moped Citizen

Interesting -- I'd run across it before, and in looking at it again realized that the Lon Beon mythology reminds me of where the Galaxiad setting seems to be headed (Sufficiently High Technology as to be conflated with magic, that's also mythology).

Wide setting variety is enabled by choice of era.

Alegoric put a lot of work into that ATU (or, perhaps more properly a "hidden/secret history" slice of the OTU).

The provided wiki link doesn't work properly for me; this one does:

http://wiki.travellerrpg.com/Distant_Fringe
Old October 24th, 2018, 05:21 AM

77topaz Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grav_Moped View Post
The provided wiki link doesn't work properly for me; this one does:

http://wiki.travellerrpg.com/Distant_Fringe
Ah, yes, thanks for pointing that out - I'd assumed the standard /wiki/ interfix in the URL that Wikipedia uses, as well as Wikia. I've fixed the link now - note that the Distant Fringe is only a part of Alegoric's overall region/setting.
Old October 24th, 2018, 10:02 AM
Citizen: SOC-3

Alagoric Citizen

The Distant Fringe is a remote, human-dominated region on the edge of the Great Void (the name that they give to the huge void that the Great Rift joins onto), inhabited by refugees from the Terran Confederation who fled the nuclear destruction of Terra at the hands of the Vilani during the "Final" (Third) Interstellar War in 2147AD.

They believe that Terra is a nuked wasteland and are also convinced that the Vilani Ziru Sirka is still hunting them down, hell-bent on the absorption of the last proud remnant of Terran humanity. They have no idea that Terra eventually defeated the Vilani, or indeed of any of the subsequent history of Charted Space.

In a symbolic act of separation from the homeworld, all records of the sectors they passed through on the epic journey were deliberately destroyed. At present, there is no extant information about the route between Terra and the Fringe.

Last edited by Alagoric; October 24th, 2018 at 10:05 AM.. Reason: missed a bit I meant to add
Old October 24th, 2018, 11:14 AM

Alagoric Citizen

One of the reasons I wanted to create this region is that the TU contains only a few areas that are true wildernesses. Of the 70 or so sectors in the region, only two are truly inhabited (Far Home and Halcyon), and a few of the surrounding regions are partially inhabited (Bourne Sector, Divide Sector and a couple of others).

But what would a wilderness be without some intriguing legends, rumors and mysteries? Far off to spinward, supposedly, are the mythical realms of Lon Beon and the Empire of Thrax, fantastically advanced regions that reputedly have hop drives, ansibles and other ultra-tech. Off to coreward - and far more accessible - is a region of dead worlds, civilizations that appear to have been wiped out (reason, of course, unknown) a few hundred years ago. To trailing are lost colonies, insular, xenophobic and barbaric petty states populated by the descendants of vessels lost on the journey from Terra millennia before. And to rimward is the previously mentioned vast and empty Great Void.

And just to add to their issues, they've never cracked Jump-3. They're stuck with Jump-2 (DeVoss-type) drives. They know Jump-3 is possible, but the tech stays tantalisingly just beyond their capability. They came really close with the Langstrom Drive project, but an enormous natural catastrophe overtook the region just before it came to fruition. Maybe a brave band of adventurers can recover Dr Langstrom's lost work and begin a whole new age of interstellar travel.
Old October 24th, 2018, 01:37 PM

Gallery : 4
Visit timerover51's Blog
timerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizen

Looking at the Traveller Map, how many of the sectors to the Rimward of the Solomani Sphere are official? I was looking at putting in a sector to the Rimward of the Solomani Sphere, most likely adjacent to Ahriman, but I have no interest in having to account for the nearby sectors. Can those be ignored, or do I have to go further out? Are all of those apparently Aslan Sectors official or not?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

They that go down to the sea in ships,
that do business in great waters;
These see the works of the LORD,
and his wonders in the deep.
Old October 24th, 2018, 02:06 PM

Alagoric Citizen

You can click the "dim unofficial data" on Trav Map "Show Options" box, which may help. Aktifao, Uistilrao, Ustral Quadrant, Canopus, Aldebaran, Neworld, and Langere Sectors mark the rimward limit of "official" data, rimward of there you're pretty much in uncharted space.
Old March 31st, 2020, 05:43 PM
Vice Administrator

Gallery : 1
Visit Cryton's Blog
Cryton has disabled reputation
Send a message via Skype™ to Cryton

A little late to the thread, but I am absolutely loving your work Alagoric.

It is absolutely the perfect setting for a game I'm about to start.

By chance would you have anymore to share on the setting that's not already on the Wiki or TravellerMap? Or have you deliberately left the rest for GM's to fill in for themselves?

~Cryton

Richard Ricker, Baron of the 3I since 2010 Duke since 2016
Baron of Spirelle
Spin 1927 Spirelle C766846-8
Duke of D'Artur
Dagu 0924 D'Artur AAE7443-E
Old April 1st, 2020, 12:08 AM

Gallery : 114
flykiller Citizen++flykiller Citizen++flykiller Citizen++flykiller Citizen++

Quote:
It is absolutely the perfect setting for a game I'm about to start.
just curious. the setting is indeed vast, perhaps a little too vast for a human character to access, especially at j2. in what way is it perfect for your game?
Old April 1st, 2020, 02:59 PM
Vice Administrator

Gallery : 1
Visit Cryton's Blog
Cryton has disabled reputation
Send a message via Skype™ to Cryton

Quote:
Originally Posted by flykiller View Post
just curious. the setting is indeed vast, perhaps a little too vast for a human character to access, especially at j2. in what way is it perfect for your game?

Why by playing as members on the Lon Beon, probbly using a variant of the Mindscape rules setting.

Richard Ricker, Baron of the 3I since 2010 Duke since 2016
Baron of Spirelle
Spin 1927 Spirelle C766846-8
Duke of D'Artur
Dagu 0924 D'Artur AAE7443-E