Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > In My Traveller Universe

In My Traveller Universe Detail what parts of Traveller you do (or don't) use in your campaign.

Old April 15th, 2018, 07:19 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 56
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by whulorigan View Post
@Aramis: Did you get the impression that he meant that not all systems are on it because some systems are unimportant (i.e. nobody generally has a reason to go there, so they are no on the map), or that some systems are not on it because they are unreachable by Jump? If the latter, is there only a single "Jump Plane", or are there effectively a large number of planes based upon the angle of Jump initiation relative to the galactic plane (i.e. are there alternate distinct Jump planes, for example, along perpendicular or 45o angles to the galactic plane as compared to the "standard plane" parallel to the galactic plane?
There is one jump plane. It's not exactly flat, and systems not on it are accessible only via sublight.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old April 15th, 2018, 07:31 PM
Administrator

Visit aramis's Blog
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by mactavish View Post
Objects larger than the ship can pull it out of jump...
So I'm going to guess that this doesn't mean larger ships, as that would really mess up jump travel throughout the galaxy, particularly if a 100-ton Scout and a 2,000-ton Carrier were headed to the same place at the same time.
No, larger ships are explicitly included. Any solid or liquid body, even if hollow.

Quote:
I'm assuming that this means astral bodies not known to be between the entry and exit points: a comet with a particularly long orbit, an asteroid knocked into a previously-clear jump route, a rogue planet, a stellar ignition or collapse, and so on.
it also includes ships in N-space for various reasons.
Quote:
I've played this up before, having Travellers on the way to a given system only to "fall out" of jump because of high-energy spatial anomalies, a rogue planet, and even an previously unknown Dyson shell.
Now I don't claim to know if that's actually what Mr. Miller meant, but it works well in my games, particularly when you want to introduce something to temporarily sideline the Crew (for whatever reason).
Just a thought.
mactavish out.
In your games, do what you want.
In the OTU, big ships can pull little ships out. Marc hasn't cleared up the issues of if it's only at entry and exit times, or any time during the week.

Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
MCG - Battle of Boughene
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old April 17th, 2018, 05:10 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis View Post
A course plot is 162:00:00±16:12:00 H:M:S
Ships sharing a course plot vary by ±1:37:12 from each other.
Just for others sake, as I had to do the math. The time discrepancies are 10% and 1%.

Quote:
Courses can be reverse engineered in a few hours if the exit flash is captured on sensors.
So, if observed on entry, it can be computed as to which system the ship original jumped FROM?

Quote:
Everything bigger than the ship can pull it out of jump.
So, if all of the system listed on a subsector map share the Jump Plane, and Jump is effectively 2-D, does that suggest that when a ship jumps, they are on a straight line course from entry to exit, effectively "under water", for lack of a better concept? and "going really fast".

That is, for example.

If you have Jump 1, 1 Parsec. 3.26 light years. Jump time is 162 hrs (for this discussion, we'll ignore the plot variance). So, 3.26 LY / 162 hrs is ~0.02 LY/hr. That's 189,216,000,000km/hr, or 5,2560,000km/s.

So, let's say there's a 1000 ton ship, out by Jupiter, that Just So Happens to be In The Way. Jupiter is 588Mkm away, so, that's ~100s away at 5.2Mkm/s.

Does the ship precipitate back out of jump a week later? or 100s later?

More importantly, when does the larger ship have to be "in the way". Does it have to be there at the 100s mark? What happens if it crosses 3 days later?

That's quite a adventure seed of a ship trying to get away finding itself a week later popping out in the outer system, in the "middle of nowhere" since the ship that popped it out has been long gone.

But, no doubt these are some of the nits that you're trying to clarify.
Old April 17th, 2018, 06:49 PM
Administrator

Visit aramis's Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by whartung View Post
Just for others sake, as I had to do the math. The time discrepancies are 10% and 1%.

So, if observed on entry, it can be computed as to which system the ship original jumped FROM?
I've a bad habit of describing jump out as exit. From the source, you can calculate the destination, and follow. The source is implied by your exit motion... except that in T5, non-gravitic thrusters can change your N-space vector during jump...

Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
MCG - Battle of Boughene
Old September 12th, 2018, 01:08 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Grav_Moped Citizen

Quote:
No, larger ships are explicitly included. Any solid or liquid body, even if hollow.

it also includes ships in N-space for various reasons.
In your games, do what you want.
In the OTU, big ships can pull little ships out. Marc hasn't cleared up the issues of if it's only at entry and exit times, or any time during the week.
Going through my post history, forgot this one.

Other than it being Word of Marc, it snaps my disbelief suspenders.
The logical effect (if it exists) shouldn't be to yank the smaller ship back to the starting point, but instead to force the smaller ship to have misjumped (since it initiated Jump within what turned out to have been within the 100D limit of the larger ship, though it wasn't when they left).
Old September 12th, 2018, 01:34 PM
Administrator

Visit aramis's Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grav_Moped View Post
Going through my post history, forgot this one.

Other than it being Word of Marc, it snaps my disbelief suspenders.
The logical effect (if it exists) shouldn't be to yank the smaller ship back to the starting point, but instead to force the smaller ship to have misjumped (since it initiated Jump within what turned out to have been within the 100D limit of the larger ship, though it wasn't when they left).
You're not the only one. I pointed out that it's actually a drastic change to the OTU.

It does, however, give a reason for battleships...

Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
MCG - Battle of Boughene
Old September 13th, 2018, 12:46 AM

Grav_Moped Citizen

That it does.

But you don't need a battleship.
"Any solid or liquid body, even if hollow."
How about a 250m diameter mylar balloon, inflated with hydrogen vented from a ship's fuel tank?
Old September 13th, 2018, 02:30 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Visit Ulsyus's Blog
Ulsyus Citizen+Ulsyus Citizen+Ulsyus Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellis View Post
Also doesn't Near Stars use some sort of hypothetical dim stars or something to allow for Jump-1 usage?
Quote:
No. Not in the original one T:2300 NSL. They used a 7.7 LY limit for the drive. Avoids that.

It's out on the fringes that they added some in a supplement - but it was because they wanted a Kafer arm
That reference was in the second Kafer campaign book. It involved using a brown dwarf as a navigational/Stutterwarp-charge-dump point midway between an system in the American Arm and a point way down a route inside Kafer space on the far side of the Kafer/Human front line at the end of the French Arm.

I've wondered at times why brown dwarf stars and any attendant planets, or even rogue planets out there between star systems, weren't used more in Traveller, but I suppose that except for in the Rift they aren't that necessary once J3 and higher is available.

Tiberius Claudius Nero Caesar

Old September 13th, 2018, 02:39 AM

BwapTED Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mactavish View Post
Objects larger than the ship can pull it out of jump...

So I'm going to guess that this doesn't mean larger ships, as that would really mess up jump travel throughout the galaxy, particularly if a 100-ton Scout and a 2,000-ton Carrier were headed to the same place at the same time.

I'm assuming that this means astral bodies not known to be between the entry and exit points: a comet with a particularly long orbit, an asteroid knocked into a previously-clear jump route, a rogue planet, a stellar ignition or collapse, and so on.

I've played this up before, having Travellers on the way to a given system only to "fall out" of jump because of high-energy spatial anomalies, a rogue planet, and even an previously unknown Dyson shell.

Now I don't claim to know if that's actually what Mr. Miller meant, but it works well in my games, particularly when you want to introduce something to temporarily sideline the Crew (for whatever reason).

Just a thought.

mactavish out.
Charted space lanes!

Maybe this is another reason why they exist: to prevent ships in Jump from pulling other, smaller ships out of Jump.

Space is very big. Just don't aim at the same point.

Stay in your lane. :0
Old September 14th, 2018, 03:50 AM

Grav_Moped Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulsyus View Post
That reference was in the second Kafer campaign book. It involved using a brown dwarf as a navigational/Stutterwarp-charge-dump point midway between an system in the American Arm and a point way down a route inside Kafer space on the far side of the Kafer/Human front line at the end of the French Arm.

I've wondered at times why brown dwarf stars and any attendant planets, or even rogue planets out there between star systems, weren't used more in Traveller, but I suppose that except for in the Rift they aren't that necessary once J3 and higher is available.
Some calibration points and a "rogue star" have recently(?) appeared in Reft and Corridor sectors, denoted by red crosshairs. I'm not sure when they were added or why (do they come from the novel?) but they weren't there when I looked last year.