Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > In My Traveller Universe

In My Traveller Universe Detail what parts of Traveller you do (or don't) use in your campaign.

Old October 25th, 2018, 04:15 PM
Citizen: SOC-10

Gallery : 21
Winged Cat Citizen

My character in a Drinax campaign knows (and has sung one on screen) shanties about the Drinax of old, and the Sindalian Empire before it. She may be picking up Art (Performer) at some point: she wants to persuade nearby worlds to join the reborn Kingdom of Drinax, and art is one of the tools of diplomacy. I would not be surprised if a poetry slam with a professional aslan epic poet is in her future. (I have come up with setting-appropriate songs for my character to sing in certain prior campaigns.)
Old October 25th, 2018, 05:37 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
kilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizen

Read a really funny post on Reddit Traveller, where it's an Exit Visa adventure in which the planet has dropped all physical or online forms and in order to retain and deliver your admin information, you have to sing it in a standardized format.
Old October 27th, 2018, 12:34 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

Grav_Moped Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan159 View Post
Acapella Vargr
"I saw a Vargr with a Chinese menu walking thought the streets of SoHo in the rain..."

...as if it were needed.
Old October 27th, 2018, 02:17 AM

Gallery : 29
Enoki Citizen++Enoki Citizen++Enoki Citizen++Enoki Citizen++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grav_Moped View Post
"I saw a Vargr with a Chinese menu walking thought the streets of SoHo in the rain..."

...as if it were needed.
I prefer Zevon's Send Lawyers, Guns, and Money. It seems to fit Traveller to a tee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lP5Xv7QqXiM

"I went home with a waitress, the way I always do...
How was I to know she was with the Zodani too..."

Old October 28th, 2018, 02:07 AM

BlackBat242 Citizen+BlackBat242 Citizen+BlackBat242 Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pakkrat View Post
Ginger, the face-girl of the band and panet to Cinnamon's brother, Khrragg.

Khrragg, a male Vargr brother to Cinnamon sometimes called to cover for Pepper for a myriad of reasons. Panet to Ginger.
OK - I've never heard the word "panet" before, and a check for a definition only showed up a bunch of dissimilar meanings in a number of Terran languages.

And an urban dictionary entry with the following:
Quote:
adj ridiculous, stupid, absurd, preposterous, laughable, pathetic, lame, lacking dignity

verb revealing stupidity and ignorance
Which doesn't seem to fit with the way you are using the word.

So, what meaning are you assigning to the word?
Old October 28th, 2018, 03:28 AM

Gallery : 4
Visit timerover51's Blog
timerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizen

I am not sure that human musical instruments are going to be a lot different, but Vargr and Aslan instruments probably will be.

Remember a couple of things. One, Vargr and Aslan are going to have a wider range of hearing than humans, covering both higher and lower tones. The music that a dog or a cat hears on Earth is not the same that we hear.

Second, their hearing is going to be more sensitive to volume, as their hearing is more sensitive to loudness. Their music is apt to be much softer, without the load crashing crescendos of much of our music. Very loud music is quite simply going to hurt their ears.

If a human attends a concert of Vargr or Aslan musicians, we might be surprised at how soft the music is, and at times when we hear nothing, the non-human audience is in rapt attention.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

They that go down to the sea in ships,
that do business in great waters;
These see the works of the LORD,
and his wonders in the deep.
Old October 28th, 2018, 05:28 AM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

Aslan are not descended from cats so there is no reason for their hearing to match a cat's frequency range. That said the Alien module does say:
Quote:
They also have slightly superior hearing and night vision.
No mention of what superior means though

Vargr on the other hand are descended from bioengineered wolves, but their hearing may have changed in the 300,000 years of evolution since their uplift. They can hear well above the human frequency range but can not hear as well as humans at low frequency:
Quote:
Hearing is excellent, but again slightly out of phase with human standards. Sounds which are generally too high-pitched for human ears can be detected, but the lower ranges are often inaudible or only vaguely sensed, rather than heard.
Old October 28th, 2018, 06:48 AM

Visit Ulsyus's Blog
Ulsyus Citizen+Ulsyus Citizen+Ulsyus Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike wightman View Post
Aslan are not descended from cats so there is no reason for their hearing to match a cat's frequency range. That said the Alien module does say:

Quote:
They also have slightly superior hearing and night vision.
No mention of what superior means though
What about multiple-redundancy within their cochlea, ensuring that they are less likely to suffer form tinnitus, age-related hearing loss, and the risk of industrial deafness. That doesn't give them extra-human hearing abilities but it does make it superior.

Tiberius Claudius Nero Caesar

Old October 29th, 2018, 03:39 AM
Citizen: SOC-10

Gallery : 21
Winged Cat Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBat242 View Post
OK - I've never heard the word "panet" before, and a check for a definition only showed up a bunch of dissimilar meanings in a number of Terran languages.
http://wiki.travellerrpg.com/Panet_Relationship
Old October 29th, 2018, 12:38 PM

Gallery : 4
Visit timerover51's Blog
timerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulsyus View Post
What about multiple-redundancy within their cochlea, ensuring that they are less likely to suffer form tinnitus, age-related hearing loss, and the risk of industrial deafness. That doesn't give them extra-human hearing abilities but it does make it superior.
As this is My Traveller Universe, the Aslan are modified Terran Lions, so are felines.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

They that go down to the sea in ships,
that do business in great waters;
These see the works of the LORD,
and his wonders in the deep.