Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > In My Traveller Universe

In My Traveller Universe Detail what parts of Traveller you do (or don't) use in your campaign.

Old April 3rd, 2015, 06:50 PM
Absent Friend

Gallery : 11
rancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by timerover51 View Post
Are you an authorized agent of Marc/Avery, the copyright holder of record?
He doesn't have to be. He just has to know what he's talking about.

Hans
Old April 3rd, 2015, 10:07 PM
Marquis

Gallery : 9
Visit robject's Blog
robject has disabled reputation

It sounds like a neat setup to me, too.
Tools Link
Old April 3rd, 2015, 10:45 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 4
Visit timerover51's Blog
timerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by robject View Post
It sounds like a neat setup to me, too.
Are you referring to the idea of the map or of the Universe in general? It the map, will modifying it result is copyright problems? I would rather not have to pay my copyright attorney $125 an hour to contact Marc and get a positive or negative response.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

They that go down to the sea in ships,
that do business in great waters;
These see the works of the LORD,
and his wonders in the deep.
Old April 9th, 2015, 04:46 AM

Visit timerover51's Blog
timerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizen

I am beginning to get the idea that putting together an alternate Traveller universe is not a viable proposition. Given the amount of canon that I will be tossing out or massively re-writing, like no Zhodani means no Frontier Wars ever, which means no Emperors of the Flag. No war with Terra in 990, so no Solomani Autonomous region, and no Terran occupation. Chucking out the Sword Worlders from the Spinward Marches, with the Zhodani, means no Outworld Confederation, and a lot of different planet writeup, with major differences from the Traveller Wiki. My concept of Vilis and Garda-Vilis is totally different from the Wiki.

What I might do is restrict anything new to the Rimward of the Solomani region, ignore the Imperium totally, and simply say to use the Sectors you need Traveller.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

Old April 15th, 2015, 05:14 AM

Visit timerover51's Blog

I have been going through H. Beam Piper's various books which are available online at Project Gutenberg, and are in the public domain. The most useful ones are his Future History series covering the Terran Federation of Planets. He had a view of planetary settlement quite different from Traveller, which can be summed up in the following quote from Space Viking.

Quote:
Any planet that wasn't oxygen-atmosphere, six to eight thousand miles in diameter, and within a narrow surface-temperature range, wasn't worth wasting time on.
Given his hyperdrive, which had a speed varying, depending on the book, from one parsec a month (Uller Uprising) to a light-year an hour (Space Viking), and acceptance of long duration trips, that makes sense. His hyperdrive had no limitation on the duration of time in hyperdrive, so supply and human endurance were the governing factors.

The result is that just about all of the planets named in the various books are what would be called Terran Prime to Terran Norm worlds in Traveller without the atmosphere taints. The planets in Andre Norton's books that are in the public domain follow a similar pattern. All are inhabitable by humans without artificial environments or equipment. Given the number of worlds mentioned, especially by Piper, with snippets of information on most of them, putting together a sector using anywhere from 2 to 4 of their planets, with additional star systems having less readily inhabitable planets looks like it should work. Basically, the remaining systems will be what Piper would call:

Quote:
Class II, inhabitable only in artificial environment, like Mercury or Titan. (from 4-Day Planet)
Putting all of the various worlds into the Traveller world classification with short write-ups will take time, and I will have to do some thinking about Uller, which has the oxygen-nitrogen atmosphere, but the lifeforms are all silicon-based, so surviving on the planet does require a lot of food growing support. It should be interesting.

Edit Note: It looks like a slightly modified form of Mongoose Traveller's Hyperdrive would work best for what I am thinking. I will have to see to what extent I can work on that and fission fuel consumption with Matt.

Last edited by timerover51; April 15th, 2015 at 05:29 AM.. Reason: Added Comment
Old April 15th, 2015, 10:16 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 0
BillDowns Citizen

You can go that route, but consider that "truck stops" along trade routes might be a nice option. Like an O'Neill style colony servicing pass-thru trade. Small population, high-tech of necessity, rather like some of the western towns along Route 66 before Interstate 40 came into being. These might offer interesting short adventures.
Old April 15th, 2015, 04:28 PM

Visit timerover51's Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDowns View Post
You can go that route, but consider that "truck stops" along trade routes might be a nice option. Like an O'Neill style colony servicing pass-thru trade. Small population, high-tech of necessity, rather like some of the western towns along Route 66 before Interstate 40 came into being. These might offer interesting short adventures.
I assume that the non-optimum planets will be used for refueling and probably have other goodies as well. Niflheim, discussed in Uller Uprising has a "C" atmosphere, quite nasty really, but is loaded with uranium with a higher U-235 concentration than Earth, so a really good mining under severe conditions planet. Uller is no Heavenly Paradise either. I plan on having the systems spread out, so Jump-2 will be essential for extended exploration, but there will be some Jump-1 clusters as well.

Old April 16th, 2015, 07:43 PM

Visit timerover51's Blog

Since I have called this my heretical Traveller Universe thread, might as well get as heretical as possible and dump the requirement for massive quantities of Liquid Hydrogen for jumping. The odd thing about dumping it is that in doing so, I am being in some respects, totally canonical. The case in point is the Annic Nova, featured adventure in JTAS 1 and also the very first short adventure, written by none other than Marc Miller.

The Annic Nova, for those unfamiliar with it, is an abandoned ship of roughly 600 dTons, which is capable of both Jump-2 and Jump-3, but has no power plant, nor any provision for tanks holding some 300 dTons of Liquid Hydrogen. There are no fuel tanks at all, except for those on the two 40-ton pinnances. Now, there is no suggestion in either the magazine article or adventure that the jump system of the Annic Nova is sufficiently unique such that the Imperium would take steps to immediately seize the ship from any party that manages to recover it. No requiring a Liquid Hydrogen jump bubble around the ship for safety, or anything like that.

So, good by to massive amounts of Liquid Hydrogen needed. Besides that, if you are using Hydrogen or Deuterium for your fusion plant, water is a much better storage mechanism, besides being much easier to handle and having the benefit of supplying large quantities of oxygen when electrolyzed. A cubic foot of distilled water weighs 62.4 pounds, and contains just under 7 pounds of hydrogen (6.933 pounds to be more exact). A cubic foot of Liquid Hydrogen weighs 4.423 pounds per cubic foot. You get over 50% more hydrogen by weight in the same volume of liquid.

However, while I do do away with the Liquid Hydrogen requirement, what I am putting in its place does cost significant money, compared to the Liquid Hydrogen storage, which for some reason did not cost anything.

Old April 24th, 2015, 08:59 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 0
salochin999 Citizen+salochin999 Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDowns View Post
Yes.

I tend to agree with this as the basic idea at least during the earlier lower-tech colonization phase:

Quote:
Any planet that wasn't oxygen-atmosphere, six to eight thousand miles in diameter, and within a narrow surface-temperature range, wasn't worth wasting time on.
If you do this as an exercise, picking a start system and only seeking to colonize the nearest prime systems then you get a chain of truck stop systems between each "alpha" colony for refueling/repair etc. Initially these would be J1 stops and over time some of them may end up bypassed and turned into ghost towns. Truck stop systems both make sense and provide endless opportunities for "wilderness" adventures.

The other thing about this in a Traveller context is the Ancients and their genetic modification. IMTU there are lots of modified humans - often largely restricted to the worlds they were modified for (or the type of worlds they were modified for).
Old April 24th, 2015, 11:25 PM

Visit timerover51's Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by salochin999 View Post
The other thing about this in a Traveller context is the Ancients and their genetic modification. IMTU there are lots of modified humans - often largely restricted to the worlds they were modified for (or the type of worlds they were modified for).
As the sector that I am working on will be to Rimward of Terra, the amount of tampering by the Ancients will be very limited. Also, there will be other prior Space-faring Races leaving remains behind them, more recent than the Ancients. I am still debating having a planet colonized by humans from Ancient Egypt picked up by the Baldies shortly before the Baldie civilization collapsed. Then, there is always the Pied Piper of Hamlin and the Lost Colony of Roanoke, along with the Bermuda Triangle.