Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > In My Traveller Universe

In My Traveller Universe Detail what parts of Traveller you do (or don't) use in your campaign.

Old March 26th, 2015, 05:21 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
leo knight Citizen
Cool

I would say not heresy, but Burgess Shale, in the spirit of that wonderful essay at Freelance Traveller. I would love to see a map!
Plagiarize, Let no one else's work evade your eyes, Remember why the Good Lord made your eyes, So don't shade your eyes, But plagiarize, plagiarize, plagiarize - Only be sure always to call it please research. - Tom Lehrer
Old March 27th, 2015, 01:29 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 4
Visit timerover51's Blog
timerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo knight View Post
I would say not heresy, but Burgess Shale, in the spirit of that wonderful essay at Freelance Traveller. I would love to see a map!
What do you mean when you say that you "would love to see a map"?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

They that go down to the sea in ships,
that do business in great waters;
These see the works of the LORD,
and his wonders in the deep.
Old March 27th, 2015, 11:00 AM

Jame Citizen

I think he wants to see where the planets and political boundaries are.

I kinda like the idea of having Vegans around in this, though I would suggest as a buffer and client state of the Core Imperium - maybe they got their jump tech from there.
Member #5, Bring Back T5 in LBBs.

"Unfortunately, the Publishers regret that they can enter into no correspondence on this matter. If the Publishers are involved in any correspondence, they shall trace and revoke your mail priveleges."

Baron Damaascaa Towns, Kiikigulii, 1735 Sakhag/Antares
Old March 27th, 2015, 01:54 PM

WistfulD Citizen

Why the focus on a gold-based currency? Do you think space mining will make gold a viable currency backer again?
Old March 27th, 2015, 04:54 PM

Visit timerover51's Blog
timerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
I think he wants to see where the planets and political boundaries are.

I kinda like the idea of having Vegans around in this, though I would suggest as a buffer and client state of the Core Imperium - maybe they got their jump tech from there.
As far as planets, I assume that Game Masters and players will use the Traveller Map for what is called the Imperium space and Aslan areas (though those should be shrunk to focus on near-Terran planets). The only new areas I am thinking of will be to Rimward of the Terran Confederation and Solomani area.

As for boundaries, I think that those should be up to the Game Master, as long as he/she keeps in mind the roughly 30 parsec limit to effective control. The more non-Imperial areas the better.

As for the Vegans, assume that they acquired Jump Drive courtesy of a mis-Jumped Vland warship or commercial vessel and proceed from there. Besides, if ship plans are as cheap as canon states, those should be circulating extremely widely.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

Old March 28th, 2015, 12:36 AM
Absent Friend

Gallery : 11
rancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by timerover51 View Post
As for boundaries, I think that those should be up to the Game Master...
It always is, anyway. If you have made up maps for yourself and don't mind sharing, you give our hypothetical referee the option of saving himself some work by using your maps. But if he doesn't like your version, he's under no obligation to use it. He can just make up his own, same as if you hadn't posted any maps in the first place.

(Of course, if you haven't made any maps yourself, no one could expect you to sit down and do them just to save someone else a bit of work.)

Hans
Old April 2nd, 2015, 11:21 AM

leo knight Citizen

Quote:
What do you mean when you say that you "would love to see a map"?
As others deduced, I would love to see a map with boundaries the way you propose. As you point out, it would be a relatively easy DIY project, using your guidelines. Unfortunately, I only have access to a public computer, so I don't have access to even MS Paint . I have fond memories of a long ago(1980?) edition of the Different Worlds gaming magazine, with an article by Marc Miller himself describing his Imperium setting, complete with a black and white sketch map of the known universe. It was the first time I had ever seen it mapped. I took great pleasure in locating new sectors and subsectors as they were published. Maps, glorious maps! So maybe I'll just have to go old school and (gasp, horror!) draw one for myself.
Plagiarize, Let no one else's work evade your eyes, Remember why the Good Lord made your eyes, So don't shade your eyes, But plagiarize, plagiarize, plagiarize - Only be sure always to call it please research. - Tom Lehrer
Old April 3rd, 2015, 10:20 AM

Visit timerover51's Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo knight View Post
As others deduced, I would love to see a map with boundaries the way you propose. As you point out, it would be a relatively easy DIY project, using your guidelines. Unfortunately, I only have access to a public computer, so I don't have access to even MS Paint . I have fond memories of a long ago(1980?) edition of the Different Worlds gaming magazine, with an article by Marc Miller himself describing his Imperium setting, complete with a black and white sketch map of the known universe. It was the first time I had ever seen it mapped. I took great pleasure in locating new sectors and subsectors as they were published. Maps, glorious maps! So maybe I'll just have to go old school and (gasp, horror!) draw one for myself.
Probably the easiest way for me to do something like that would be to take one of the maps from MegaTraveller or maybe Classic, scan it into my computer, clean out the old boundaries, and then draw in new boundaries freehand. Not sure if that would be allowed under a Traveller license. I do need to get the Piper-Norton subsectors into a more finished state.

Old April 3rd, 2015, 02:27 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 56
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Probably the easiest way for me to do something like that would be to take one of the maps from MegaTraveller or maybe Classic, scan it into my computer, clean out the old boundaries, and then draw in new boundaries freehand. Not sure if that would be allowed under a Traveller license. I do need to get the Piper-Norton subsectors into a more finished state.
yes, it is within fair use, provided the usual FFE dislaimer and copyright is noted. Counts as derivative work.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old April 3rd, 2015, 06:11 PM

Visit timerover51's Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis View Post
yes, it is within fair use, provided the usual FFE dislaimer and copyright is noted. Counts as derivative work.
Are you an authorized agent of Marc/Avery, the copyright holder of record?