Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > In My Traveller Universe

In My Traveller Universe Detail what parts of Traveller you do (or don't) use in your campaign.

Old August 29th, 2020, 08:37 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 21
Visit BackworldTraveller's Blog
BackworldTraveller Citizen
Quote:
Originally Posted by timerover51 View Post
I put this together last year, but I just spent a few days in Shipshewana, Indiana, in the heart of Indiana's Amish country, and discovered a few things. We spent some time looking over a shop making custom kitchen and bathroom cabinets, as my wife would like to redo our kitchen. The quality of construction was extremely high, and then the owner took us on a tour of his woodworking shop. It is state-of-the-art. I need to spend some time working on how to blend a range of Tech Levels on a world. Bicycles and horse-powered equipment with Tech Level 8 machine tools using pneumatic and electric power. Definitely outside of the normal Traveller rules.

I also need to do some thinking as to what trees might be on the planet for the Amish to work with. Clearly, another item of export is going to be wooden furniture. The question is what wood or woods? Terran transplants or native woods or both.

Also, I am going to have to bump the Tech Level to 4, to try to somewhat cover the machine tool use along with needed sterilizing equipment for canning. Obviously, I am back to work on the sector.
The fact that a planet is TL-3 doesn't mean it doesn't access higher TLs. Just that it doesn't produce them. The locals aren't necessarily ignorant of technology. Mobile phones on Earth now (for instance) not produced in many places - used everywhere. May be not new but pre-used. And Cars...Similar pattern of build/usage.
Old August 30th, 2020, 02:47 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 4
Visit timerover51's Blog
timerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackworldTraveller View Post
The fact that a planet is TL-3 doesn't mean it doesn't access higher TLs. Just that it doesn't produce them. The locals aren't necessarily ignorant of technology. Mobile phones on Earth now (for instance) not produced in many places - used everywhere. May be not new but pre-used. And Cars...Similar pattern of build/usage.
Thanks for the feedback.

Now, I am working on the trade possibilities of El Paso to various nearby planets, roughly within a 6 parsec radius, two Jump-3 or 3 to 6 weeks in hyperspace, along with more extended write-ups on the Sword sub-sector, and Vinland. Would there be interest in my posting them somewhere?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

They that go down to the sea in ships,
that do business in great waters;
These see the works of the LORD,
and his wonders in the deep.
Old August 30th, 2020, 02:59 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 21
Visit BackworldTraveller's Blog
BackworldTraveller Citizen
Post in a "Campaign:XXX" section on the Wiki?

Or persuade Thomas to open a Cephus: namespace?
Old August 31st, 2020, 10:40 AM

Gallery : 0
whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+

Quote:
The question is what wood or woods? Terran transplants or native woods or both.
Exotic native hardwoods will always be a popular export.

I don't know if we're a net consumer of hardwoods on Earth right now or not (I know there's been a lot of movement on sustainable forestry in general), but hard woods are hard because they take a long time to grow, so exploiting a new, virgin old growth hardwood forest could easily be an exotic, high value export.

We do a lot of veneers for hardwood today.
Old September 1st, 2020, 10:24 PM

Gallery : 4
Visit timerover51's Blog
timerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by whartung View Post
Exotic native hardwoods will always be a popular export.

I don't know if we're a net consumer of hardwoods on Earth right now or not (I know there's been a lot of movement on sustainable forestry in general), but hard woods are hard because they take a long time to grow, so exploiting a new, virgin old growth hardwood forest could easily be an exotic, high value export.

We do a lot of veneers for hardwood today.
I was just looking at some of the hardwood furniture in the Amish shops in Shipshewana, Indiana. They are getting a surprising amount of hickory from old growth woods in Michigan, where there have been tree blow downs. Depending on how you collect the timber, you might not need to take a lot of trees down. Then again, if you are dealing with trees like the Douglas Spruce, Redwood, Australian White Gum, or Sequoia, you do not need a lot of trees to get a lot of board feet of timber. White pines in New England during colonial times could hit 200 feet and 8 to 10 feet in diameter. The Royal Navy really liked those for masting timber.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

They that go down to the sea in ships,
that do business in great waters;
These see the works of the LORD,
and his wonders in the deep.
Old September 2nd, 2020, 10:48 AM

whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+

Quote:
I was just looking at some of the hardwood furniture in the Amish shops in Shipshewana, Indiana. They are getting a surprising amount of hickory from old growth woods in Michigan, where there have been tree blow downs.
Well that's the thing.

Michigan used to be known for its furniture, because of the local hardwood forests.

But much of those forests were logged and consumed, and the industry went elsewhere.

I don't know what the status of commercial hardwood forestry is now in Michigan. I don't know how much of the woods were replanted, or if there's a bustling industry in managed hardwood forests up there today.

There's historically been talks about logging salvage operations pulling logs off of river and lake bottoms, logs that were harvested and transported but sank.

I don't know where the Amish get their wood, but the scale of their local furniture work is nowhere close to the industrial scale it was before.

But this is what I mean by being a net consumer of hardwood. Are we replacing it as fast as we are consuming it, growing more, etc. Use of veneers and such greatly extend how far a tree can go. While, say, table legs etc. may be solid hardwood, the table itself can be quality hardwood plywood.

I don't know how long it takes to grow a new walnut tree or hickory tree to be viable for harvest, but even with managed forests, we certainly can't consume the resource faster now than we did before when we were just cutting them down wholesale.
Old September 2nd, 2020, 05:28 PM

Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++

Last time I looked, exotic hardwoods were legally harvested in Indonesia, and valued added locally.

Anything above quota, somehow found their way to neighbouring countries.

Expensive woods will probably be regulated as a national resource.
Old September 11th, 2020, 06:55 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 10
nobby-w Citizen+nobby-w Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Condottiere View Post
Last time I looked, exotic hardwoods were legally harvested in Indonesia, and valued added locally.
Little indie joiners are very common in Indonesia. The price is such that the locals view Ikea as expensive. There's only one Ikea in Indonesia, a country with a population of somethng like a quarter of a billion. It's also the smallest Ikea I've ever seen, maybe half the size of the one in Croydon.

Legal is a pretty flexible term when you start talking about Indonesia. A fair amount of the tropical hardwood harvested is not strictly speaking ... licensed for harvesting, and managed forestry is a concept that tends towards the aspirational.
Old September 12th, 2020, 12:49 PM

Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++

I suspect enforcement could probably use genetic analysis and unique isotope combinations, to figure out where a wood lot comes from.

Though that would be in no one's interest involved.