Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > MegaTraveller

MegaTraveller Discuss of the MegaTraveller ruleset and the Rebellion Milieu

Old January 3rd, 2011, 03:18 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 28
Visit kafka47's Blog
kafka47 Citizen

Dislike, as I am on record with MegaTraveller being my favorite version of Traveller.

Spinward Marches - safe...did not make any sense...the hotbed of all conflict during the CT reign suddenly quiet.

Black Duke - GDW did take sides. Dulinor was wrongly slighted from the get go.

Insufficient support in Challenge & Product line for the Rebellion, as one hardly knew one was going on.

The Rules...the rules...some were good but overly complicated compared to CT.

Check out the calendar for active Toronto Traveller games: http://www.meetup.com/Toronto-Area-Gamers/
Old January 5th, 2011, 01:19 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
BardicHeart Citizen

What I like about MT

Greater level of detail than CT. I like having more options for starships, not just more weapons (which was less important to me) but being able to add labs, machine shops, solar power, and even extrapolate for things like green houses and orbital ore processing, etc.

Loved the HardTimes book and setting. This was the first time I'd seen a serious approach to an advanced society in decline instead of boldly advancing. It was refreshing then, and it is still interesting to me now. I find the rules useful even for situations where maybe some worlds are on the rise, but others are in decline (a ATU where not all parts of the Imperium are doing equally well for example). HardTimes has remained a favorite source book of mine even when playing other sci-fi / space opera games.

The support for advanced tech up thru antimatter power plants, etc. Nice to have if you're either dealing with a mad scientific genius, advanced military project, or alien technology.

Things I disliked...

All the errata, this alone just about killed MT for me, made it almost unplayable and hard to keep players at a table (they tend to have little patience with that sort of thing in my experience).

I thought the Rebellion felt "scripted" and wasn't as intresting as it could have been. I'd liked to have seen possibly more diversity (i.e., wealthy noble families going independent and forming pocket empires, negotiating with the major factions for their support, etc.), something with more political and social complexity (I think the Fading Suns setting did a fairly good job of this).

Wasn't all that thrilled with the Players vs Referees books (I found myself swapping between them to handle basic things too often for my taste). I think it would have gone better having a core rules, star ship manual, etc. Have everything related to handling encounters in one place for example.
Old January 5th, 2011, 03:52 PM

mbrinkhues Citizen

Actually the only think I dislike in Mega/Rules was the Clunky style chargen. While a bit better (Brownie points, select instead of roll for skill) it was quite outdated by the time MT came along. 2300AD did WAY better.

Aside from that it still is THE single best Traveller system beating modern variants in one area or another and being equal in all others. Granted, I have a late printing (benefit of overseas market) so errata was partially done.

====

Mega/Storyline is one of the best once you get to HardTimes. Gateway/983 is IMHO slightly better but works on a similar basic assumption. HighTech IS availabel - sometimes, imported from far away and costly. The Empire IS powerful - in some far away regions. There ARE powerful alien/foreign entities - but not here.

That's the right setting for adventure. Read it, loved it, dropped the Boring Marches and it's leather-clad CSD duke for good.
Engineers time estimate: The software will be done March 15th, 11:14:36.... What do you mean \"what year\"?
Old January 22nd, 2011, 05:51 PM

skyth Citizen

I like Megatraveller best of all the Traveller versions I've seen.

Granted, I am a gear-head so that appeals to me.

The Rebellion setting is much more interesting that the default setting. It's more a setting of adventure, whereas the Imperium is a setting of stasis.

I like that characters grew via experience in play rather than having to take a sabatical.

I don't much care for the space combat system, but it is the same system as High Guard from Classic Traveller. Armor and Agility is WAY too important.

Personally, what I would really love to do is run Space Master in the Traveller/Megatraveller universe
Old January 22nd, 2011, 08:03 PM
Marquis

Gallery : 9
Visit robject's Blog
robject has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyth View Post
Personally, what I would really love to do is run Space Master in the Traveller/Megatraveller universe
I had mapped out the SpaceMaster empires (whatever you call them) for a friend onto the Traveller 2d map of Charted Space. Took less than a dozen sectors... very doable.
Tools Link
Old February 1st, 2011, 10:47 PM

BardicHeart Citizen

I'd officially like to strangle whoever left robot rules out of MT.

Which, coincedentally seem to have been left out of more or less every other edition of rules. CT has them. MT doesn't. TNE does, T4 doesn't (at least not that I've seen). MGT does. GT sort of monkey wrenches that pattern... but still, kind of peculiar.

I am the Game Master...
... builder of worlds, maker of rules, dealing with fools.
Old February 1st, 2011, 11:33 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 56
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

T4 uses TNE's. All the fundamental T4 design sequences are taken from TNE.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old February 2nd, 2011, 11:04 AM

Visit grendelttroll's Blog
grendelttroll Citizen
Send a message via ICQ to grendelttroll Send a message via AIM to grendelttroll Send a message via Yahoo to grendelttroll Send a message via Skype™ to grendelttroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by BardicHeart View Post
I'd officially like to strangle whoever left robot rules out of MT.

Which, coincedentally seem to have been left out of more or less every other edition of rules. CT has them. MT doesn't. TNE does, T4 doesn't (at least not that I've seen). MGT does. GT sort of monkey wrenches that pattern... but still, kind of peculiar.

For those few who are unfamiliar ( ): Book 8: Robots was a CT work that was still being published after MT came out. It was, along with the Darrian Alien Module, the last CT product to be published for CT......

What we did (and was expected) was we used Book 8 to create the brains and the core MT rules for the chassis. It was clumsy (a true MT mini-add-on should've been released) but it worked. There were examples of these 'bots in the mags.....

1248 Advocate and Minor developer of T5
"Aekh kfaegzoukhin zersakha vargr; kfaegzoukhin zersakh kuvargr." - Old Vargr proverb (Gvegh)

My Traveller Area <== STILL UNDER CONSTRUCTION
Old December 19th, 2011, 10:14 PM

Murph Citizen

The rules got in the way of play. Rules should be nearly invisible/seamless so that play flows and you do not spend 10-15 minutes looking up arcane rule #1245 on how to zip up the curtain around the turbo-flush....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka47 View Post
Dislike, as I am on record with MegaTraveller being my favorite version of Traveller.

Spinward Marches - safe...did not make any sense...the hotbed of all conflict during the CT reign suddenly quiet.

Black Duke - GDW did take sides. Dulinor was wrongly slighted from the get go.

Insufficient support in Challenge & Product line for the Rebellion, as one hardly knew one was going on.

The Rules...the rules...some were good but overly complicated compared to CT.
Old December 22nd, 2011, 06:55 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 5
Tobias Citizen

Good stuff:
- The layout (and the flowcharts)
- The publishing concept (Player's, Referee's, Encyclopedia)
- Character generation (although I'd have preferred leaving out the Bk4/5/6 generation and expanding a little more on the Bk1 version) and skills.
- The supplements, especially the two alien modules.
- The idea of a unified design system (but see below)
- The task system
- Especially the interpersonal tasks. Much better than the stupid random reaction tables in CT.
- The early Rebellion background (before it became all grimdark)

Bad stuff:
- The poor editing.
- The combat system. Poor compromise between detail and playability. Not detailed enough for a simulation, not free-form enough for a narrative system. Too many hard breakpoints (range and damage.)
- The space combat system. Uninspired mish-mash of High Guard and a hex movement system, did not mesh with the rest of the system at all.
- The actual execution of the design system. The attempt to fuze STRIKER and HG was a laudable goal - but they ended up with the worst of both worlds, and some all-new superfluous stuff added on top of it. Lost some crucial detail of STRIKER, lost the simplicity of HG. Also, not comprehensive enough (no Robots, no wet navy, no aircraft in the basic rules.)
- Some of the little changes the TU: The proliferation of TL-16 worlds, the new jump fuel formula, hull grid jump drives etc.

"Meh, good enough" stuff:
- Trading, encounters, psionics, system generation. All straight from preceding CT sources, but updated for the task system in a reasonable enough fashion.

IMHO, MT really showed where the focus of the DGP folks as players (and writers) was: Story, detail, roleplaying, worldbuilding, characters. The simulationist and wargame-ish aspects apparently were less interesting to them, as the lackluster efforts in the area of combat, especially space combat, systems show.
The logical successor to MegaTraveller should have been a second edition in which its issues would have been adressed and corrected. (A new space combat system was already in the works, it appears.) But instead GDW, in a common but foolish pattern, opted to trash everything and rebuild from scratch (I am not referring to the background here.)

Last edited by Tobias; December 22nd, 2011 at 07:05 AM..