Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Traveller: The New Era

Traveller: The New Era Discussion on Traveller: The New Era

Old September 4th, 2010, 04:13 AM
Citizen: SOC-4

Gallery : 0
Traveller_without_a_home Citizen
Default Automating ship crew roles...

Hello everyone,

Just wondering if there are any rules for automatic ship crew roles in TNE, to bring down the unnecessarily large crews? Please just point me to book/page number etc.

I'd check myself, but I have to go to work now

Thanks very much!!!
Old September 4th, 2010, 08:48 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Jame Citizen

I have no references (though I understand what you mean about overlarge crews). One problem - if a ship in TNE tried that, the corporation would be called a Virus-Lover...
Member #5, Bring Back T5 in LBBs.

"Unfortunately, the Publishers regret that they can enter into no correspondence on this matter. If the Publishers are involved in any correspondence, they shall trace and revoke your mail priveleges."

Baron Damaascaa Towns, Kiikigulii, 1735 Sakhag/Antares
Old September 4th, 2010, 09:05 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

jawillroy has disabled reputation

I don't know what the TNE's take on it is, but I've always figured that, OUT of game, there's always been an imperative to keep PCs involved in all parts of a ship's operation so that one player didn't hog the game and so IN game, there's been an assumption based on an undefined "X" that live bodies are needed aboard a spacecraft in multiple duties.

Once you start automating your stewards, it's a slippery slope until you've got robots in the drive room, and on the bridge, and all of a sudden your Free Trader is one big Jump Torpedo.

IMTU, there's a widespread and deep fear of AI which keeps people from building robots with any sophistication (on most worlds.) The idea of putting a robot in any active crew position on a starship would fill any space traveler with dread. But then, that's just how I rationalize the non-automation of Jump. (That, and the notion that Jumpspace plays hell with delicate electronics, requiring VAST, ROBUST computers to crunch numbers while human/sophont crews man the controls. CAPTAIN: "Passengers, we are in the final procedures prior to engaging the jump drive. Please power down all electronic devices; we cannot be liable for any Jump Pulse damage or lost data. Thank you for understanding; the steward will be around with decks of cards, board games, alcohol and fast drug to help entertain you for the duration of the trip." REGULAR PASSENGER to NEWBIE: "I'd take the fast drug if I were you. For an extra fee, the drive hand'll give you a slide show of low-tech blue movie stills. Takes all week, but when you watch it on 'fast'? You never saw a girl do things like that...")
Old September 4th, 2010, 10:20 AM
Absent Friend

Gallery : 11
rancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizen

My approach would be to assume that TNE got it wrong and simply use HG manning rules.

Hans
Old September 6th, 2010, 12:15 PM
Citizen: SOC-9

MarianLH Citizen

Even then, you can't give the PCs something like a Gazelle or a Broadsword, unless you're willing to have NPC crew.
Old September 6th, 2010, 01:28 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 56
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarianLH View Post
Even then, you can't give the PCs something like a Gazelle or a Broadsword, unless you're willing to have NPC crew.
Or two PC's a player and a largish group.

OTOH, I know a chap ran Kinunir with all crew being PCs... 1 PC per player.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.

Last edited by aramis; September 6th, 2010 at 01:30 PM..
Old September 6th, 2010, 01:35 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Sir Brad Citizen+Sir Brad Citizen+

Pre-Virus ships had much greater Integrated Expert System Assist. meaning the guy on the bridge standing watch could keep a eye on the Engineering readouts and if need be wake the Engineer, the Computer was constantly running system diagnostics so the Tech Crew didn't have to run them manually every Watch eating up much of their time that could be used on maintenance and repairs, you had RC Drones to cover a lot of your EVA work. on Smaller ships the Coms and Sensors where routed through the Bridge Station of either the Pilot or Navigator depending on who was the Primary Helm at the time (or handled by Expert Systems) meaning you didn't need Electronics operators.

Post Virus you can't have your computers working as a integrated system running diagnostics and sending the Engineers "Fix Me!" Memos they have to do the checks themselves and their are so many to do you need extra guys just to get through them all, so they can't spend time fixing the Doors, Toilets or the Coffee Machine so you have to put on a Maintenance crew and hire more engineers to stand Engineering Watches and get through all the work since you Engineers can't rely on Expert Systems and Robot Assistants. Without the ability on one or two guys to RC a handful of Drones you need more guys to go EVA to do the Boson work and the EVA Drive Maintenance.

HG numbers are about right for the way things where, BL numbers are right for how things become thanks to the Virus, many tighter military designs and High Performance Civilian designs just don't work in the Post-Virus reality.
Old September 6th, 2010, 08:38 PM
Marquis

Gallery : 9
Visit robject's Blog
robject has disabled reputation

Sir Brad's right -- after all, the Free Trader or Scout/Courier captain in 1105 could run his ship single-handedly. Thus there is a lot of computer control going on behind the scenes. T5 spells this out, and shows you how to do it, in its starship design system.
Tools Link
Old September 6th, 2010, 10:35 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Sir Brad Citizen+Sir Brad Citizen+

Don't know about the Type A, in Non-Commercial Service maby you could Skeleton it with one guy (Hell I've done it with a Type R) but they better be darn skilled. but sure Type S's are meant to have 1 man crews.
Old September 7th, 2010, 10:33 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

jawillroy has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Brad View Post
Don't know about the Type A, in Non-Commercial Service maby you could Skeleton it with one guy (Hell I've done it with a Type R) but they better be darn skilled. but sure Type S's are meant to have 1 man crews.
I figure an A could be flown solo in a pinch; the minimal crew calls for Pilot, Engineer, Medic and Steward. If you're not hauling passengers, you can drop the medic and steward. Drop the engineer, and you'll risk drive malfunctions and (IIRC) misjumps - but if you're trying to fly thirty seven million credits worth of starship on your own, chances are you're in a reasonably desperate situation already.