Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > In My Traveller Universe

In My Traveller Universe Detail what parts of Traveller you do (or don't) use in your campaign.

Old September 25th, 2008, 05:44 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 8
tim_manley Citizen
Default Traveller 1889

Traveller 1889

Have any of you played or seen Space 1889? Victorian's in space, aetherships and space travel...

I've shared before that during my commute I let my mind wander. On the way home I use it as a "shut work off" time. I get ideas and work them out. Once concept was how well does CT fit into a steam-punk world... I know I've mentioned this before in another post but just had the thought banging around in my head. Since I don't have the time to run games and really don't know when I will again, I live vicariously through my thought process about the games...

So one day while at home I decided to take a gander at my old Space1889 rules. My thought was to find some time to create the professions they have and convert them into Traveller. But then I saw... they already fit perfectly.

So professions are a done deal... (call the Scout an Explorer and it fits). Both LBB1 & Sup4 are right on the money in this regard.

As for skills... some work has to be done there.
Aircraft and vehicles don't really exist per-se. Trains do... airships/balloons do... aetherships do. So Ship's Boat can be Aether Flyer skill. Pilot can be Aether Ship. Now bear in mind I'm looking *just* at LBB1 & Supp4.

Now... what about the ships....

So, how does it work?

Aether is the key. In Traveller terms the Aether Engine is the Maneuver Drive. The Slipstream Engine is the Jump drive. The Power Plant is the boiler, or steam engine. The fuel of the ship is water for the steam engine. What about something to make the steam? In Space 1889 they used a big mirror to boil the water... But, I think that'll work for the early ships. But on Venus... or Mercury, a rock was found that reacts violently with water... call it the Claudia Rock in honor of the discoverer's daughter (heh... who can get the reference?). This rock will boil water. There we go, you can now make steam without needing air or fire.

How does space travel work? Well, we take our solar system. Instead of AU we use SU.. Sol Units. 1 SU equals 3 Astronomical Units (AU). This is how many hexes it is between bodies.

The Aether Flyer engine (the M-Drive) is for flying in the atmosphere. The 'G rating' of the engine isn't really a G rating anymore but the speed in the sky. It's also for achieving orbit and flying around the planet itself (going to moons, etc.).

The Aether Engine (the J-Drive) is for flying from planet to planet. The Jump rating is the number of SU it can travel in 1 week. It doesn't "jump out" and leave real-space, it just goes really fast.

Code:
Body     AU  SU
mercury  0.4  1
venus    0.7  2
earth    1.0  3
mars     1.5  5
belt     2.3  7
belt     3.3 10
jupiter  5.2 16
saturn   9.5 29
uranus  19.6 59
neptune 30.0 90
**On a side note I toyed with the idea of having the M-Drive have its G rating how many AU it can travel in a Month and the J-Drive have its rating be how many AU it can travel in a day....just as an alternative....
Old September 25th, 2008, 05:48 PM

Gallery : 8
tim_manley Citizen

Another thought I had was to take a map with 4 subsectors, the central axis is the star. All the planets orbit the star and folks live on these ala Fire Fly. Each hex is the SU listed above and you have the planet per LBB3 rules.....

In fact this idea was so enticing that I have been toying with making a full fledged campaign using it....
Old October 9th, 2008, 09:16 PM

Gallery : 0
G. Fieendish Citizen

Anyone for a liftwood air-raft, or more precisely, a air-rowingboat with possibly a clockwork powered propellor system for propulsion...?
(Well, if the Aether Drive is M-Drive than Liftwood is effectively the equivalent of Contragrav Lifters...).
Old January 30th, 2009, 02:19 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

ShapeShifter Citizen

*Arise old post!*

I've been reading reviews and samples of Space 1889 and thought it was right down my alley for modelling ERBian Barsoom. However I'd like to port it into the CT ruleset. Does anyone have any more suggestions about how they have attempted this? Is anybody aware of any homebrew sites where the conversion notes are elaborated? It should not be too hard to map a 1D6 to a 2D6 system. Furthermore the abilities (strength, intellect, agility, charisma, endurance and social level) are a near-match for the CT abilities. Thoughts? Ideas? Random outbursts?
Old January 30th, 2009, 02:52 PM

Gallery : 23
Visit spinwardpirate's Blog
spinwardpirate Citizen

Random outbursts?!?!?
Brilliant!!!
I've thought of doing it, but never have gotten off of my duff. Space 1889 was one of my favorite GDW settings. I just never cared for the system.

My Reenacting and Roleplaying Site
Old January 30th, 2009, 04:48 PM

ShapeShifter Citizen

I've heard many good things about it. I might just cave in and buy the pdf of the rulebook.

A sample random outburst: TREACLE!
Old January 30th, 2009, 05:18 PM

spinwardpirate Citizen

Treacle!
By Jove, I think he's got it!
Brilliant!

Space 1889 skills.
Fisticuffs
Throwing
Close Combat
...Edged Weapon
...Polearm
...Bashing Weapon
Trimsman
...Aerial Flyer
...Cloudship
Stealth
Crime
...Lockpick
...Pickpocket
...Forger
Marksmanship
...Pistol
...Rifle (incl shotgun, carbine)
Mechanics
...Steam
...Electricity
...Machinist
Wilderness Travel
...Mountaineering
...Foraging
...Mapping
Fieldcraft
Tracking
Swimming
Observation
Engineering
...Structural Engineering
...Naval Architecture
...Explosives
...Earthworks
Science
...Physics
...Chemistry
...Biology
...Geology
...Archaeology
Gunnery
...Muzzle-loading Cannon
...Breech-loading Cannon
...Machinegun/Rotary Cannon
...Exotic Weaponry
Eloquence
Theatrics
Bargaining
Linguistics
Riding
...Horse
...Camel
...Elephant
...Gashant
...Ruumet Breehr
...Flying Skill
...Pacyosaurus
Piloting
...Aerial Flyer
...Cloudship
...Zeppelin
...Interplanetary Ether Flyer
...Sailing Vessel
...Steam Vessel
...Submarine
Leadership
Medicine

Most of these will map directly to Traveller skills.

Old January 30th, 2009, 05:31 PM
Absent Friend

Gallery : 11
rancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinwardpirate View Post
Most of these [skills] will map directly to Traveller skills.
Yes, I don't see the problem with just using the Space 1889 background and the CT rules. Except for the Inventor rules. I don't see quite how to port those. Which is a great pity, because they absolutely rock.

Maybe one can use the Inventor rules as written by mapping CT stats back to Space 1889 stats for that one purpose only? Worth a try, I'd say.

Hans
Old January 30th, 2009, 06:43 PM

spinwardpirate Citizen

You know, I recall it had rules for inventions, but I don't recall ever using them. For that matter, I don't recall ever having played the rpg. I'm sure I did at least once. I do have vivid memories of many Sky Galleons battles, and even some games of Temple of the Beastmen. (Most of my rpging during those years were either GURPS, 2300AD, or Twilight 2000.)

Old January 30th, 2009, 06:43 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 56
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quite simply put: don't convert, simply mesh. Use your favorite task system, favorite damage system (for CT style, simply halve the damage rolled), and the Sp1889 CGen and invention.

Seriously, tho', it's very similar to T2K 2.0.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu▒ dt▒ f+ fs++ ge▒ ih- inf▒ j▒ jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.