Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > MegaTraveller

MegaTraveller Discuss of the MegaTraveller ruleset and the Rebellion Milieu

Old October 26th, 2003, 04:19 AM
Noble

Gallery : 0
mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen
Here are a few I would like answering please:

1. can we have an outline of the onnesium quest adventures (or is it one of those copyright things)

2. were there any plans for future hiver involvement in the MT/rebellion and how different are TNE/GT Hivers from how DGP would have developed them

3. not Traveller related but I would like to know how close AI ever came to publication and if it will ever see print

Thanks.
Old October 26th, 2003, 04:54 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

T. Foster Citizen
Thumbs up

Great score in getting Joe to agree to this, kafka!

Given that he's been away from the game/hobby for an entire decade, I doubt he'll be able to give us much help on specific canon-detail type questions. Also, any question which takes the form of "please bad-mouth x person or idea" is probably likely to get a diplomatic non-answer. But hey, maybe I'm wrong, so ask away. Here's my questions for him -- include as many or as few as you feel are interesting or appropriate:

How surprising was it when GDW granted your company de facto stewardship over the Traveller rules and setting from roughly 1987 to 1990? Was this a specific decision made between you and Marc Miller or was it more of a gradual evolutionary process? Considering how small in personnel and resources your company was, how overwhelmed or intimidated did you feel at being the head of something with such a large legacy and following, or was this a concern at all?

In your farewell editorial in MTJ4 you mention that DGP inquired abbout buying the IP rights to Traveller from GDW. Had you been granted those rights would you have remained in the game publishing business longer (and do you think you might even have still been publishing games today?), or would the circumstances that led to DGP's closing have happened regardless?

How much were you still able to actually play Traveller once you made the leap from fan to publisher? Did you ever play Traveller (or have the urge to play Traveller) after DGP closed? Do you ever feel the urge to play Traveller today, even if only for nostalgia's sake?

How surprised are you that Traveller is still going so strong after 26 years? What would you pick as the single element you think is most responsible for Traveller's continuing appeal after all these years?

What is the most valuable lesson you took away from your time as a game publisher, and what advice would you offer to someone else thinking of getting into the same business?
Old October 26th, 2003, 09:34 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

William Citizen
Question

What I would like to ask is this - I have heard that you and the rest of DGP never quit your day jobs; did you ever consider just going for it and making DGP a full time game company? This might have given enough time to complete more projects in a timely and correct manner.

William
Old October 26th, 2003, 09:36 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

clementk Citizen
Quote:
Originally posted by kafka47:
I will solicit now for the top 25 questions...
Um...why is this thread titled 10 questions then? [img]tongue.gif[/img] Good luck with your questions however many you come up with.

Casey (thinking Asu took over the keyboard for a mo) - who can't remember seeing any DGP published books in his local gaming stores back in the day
Old October 26th, 2003, 02:14 PM

Gallery : 28
Visit kafka47's Blog
kafka47 Citizen
Red face

Well, I gave the title so as not to intimidate anyone... If Travellers can think of more questions, GREAT! As, I think most people can think of, at least, 3 original questions. However, knowing the interest that DGP stirs up on this forum, I thought, that it might be 3 times that.

Incidently, Joe has not replied yet confirming the interview, just citing that it would be fun to do, especially if Deb & Rob can participate. Which I wish we could get the whole group on board. But, alas...

So I will continue to solicit for questions, until Joe gives me the go ahead. I might nudge him, a week from the original Monday deadline.

So keep those questions COMING. This might be our last chance and best hope to get all we can from the minds of DGP. I will post a brief cut off message, when Joe has agreed, and then we have to wait.

Cheers all,
kafka47
Traveller Archivist
Old October 26th, 2003, 08:32 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

theSea Citizen
Question

addendum:

A query relating to the production of the early issues of TD

I've recently acquired some very early issues of Travellers Digest: The first two issues of TD were not typeset - rather they seem to have been laid out in a relatively low rez (by today's standards) dotmatrix print...

What software was used to layout the first two issues of TD? Macintosh desktop publishing? (the PC certianly wouldn't have had anything comparable at the time). What SW was used for the art work? Was it done pencil and paper and scanned or illustrated directly? When the issues went over to typset starting with issue 3 what method was used? What drove the change?

I know that's a bunch of questions - but they're all tied together so what the heck.

thanks,

michael
Old October 27th, 2003, 09:07 AM

Elliot Citizen
I was reading the other day that Third Imperium magazine was printed using a Commodore 64 - that must have been hell!
Old October 27th, 2003, 10:47 PM

Gallery : 28
Visit kafka47's Blog
kafka47 Citizen
Don't forget all, I extended the deadline till I hear back from Joe...and will only bug him next week.

Check out the calendar for active Toronto Traveller games: http://www.meetup.com/Toronto-Area-Gamers/
Old October 30th, 2003, 09:52 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

theSea Citizen
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by theSea:
3) What was the reasoning behind the whole 'Aslan are not _really_ a major race' thing? Much of the canon related to the Ancient coyns and the whole 'six races' thing from Twilights Peak seems to infer that the Aslan are/should be a major race. Was that not noticed or ignored for the sake of a cool story line?
You can strike this question , I've just read JF's interview with MWM in TD#18. Marc said it was planned from the inception of the Aslan and held as a deep secret until the Aslan were 'outed' in TD#17.

Thanks,

--michael
Old November 5th, 2003, 04:57 AM

Elliot Citizen
Any updates on Joe?

Yours in anticipation....