Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > MegaTraveller

MegaTraveller Discuss of the MegaTraveller ruleset and the Rebellion Milieu

Old October 16th, 2003, 04:37 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
daryen Citizen
Quote:
Originally posted by kaladorn:
I think 'canon' is one of the greatest lodestones around the necks of traveller referees now and in the future. The bulk of the past acts as a drag-anchor to the progress into the future....
The only way that 'canon' can be a millstone (which is what I think you were trying for) around a referee's neck is if it is used wrong.

Canon is a good thing. But canon is for *writers* and contributors, NOT referees. Writers and contributors need to have canon, so that what is written and added to the game can be as consistent as possible.

A referee, on the other hand, will almost always diverge from canon. They are supposed to. It is also usually a very good idea to change things from canon into his game so that the players won't 'know' everything. Again, this is a good thing.
Old October 16th, 2003, 04:58 PM

Elliot Citizen
If I found a tunnel into Joe Fugate's head (a la the John Malkovich film) I would have brought out a Daibei sourcebook - a sort of GT:BTC or Astrogator's Guide to the Diaspora sector guide mixed with an expanded Rebel Reporter write up (from TD) and MOST IMPORTANTLY OF ALL a section in the style of 76 patrons, Amber Zones and short scenarios from JTAS. I would have followed that up with a big Daibei campaign adventure.

And then an Antares book and campaign

The alien modules would have been followed up by adventure modules giving Vargr, Vilani, Solomani and Aslan adventures.

And then I would have made the K'Kree attack while the carnivores were weak - that would have been cool.

If I were Joe I also probably would have brought out a Deneb sourcebook.

And the war games as explained above - with neutral settings like Striker and TNE Battle Riders (although reading TJ4 Joe and co weren't into war games.)

Damn it... why didn't I do all this in 1990 when I had the time!

Yours, fantasizing on what could have been

Elliot

Elliot Citizen
If I found a tunnel into Joe Fugate's head (a la the John Malkovich film) I would have brought out a Daibei sourcebook - a sort of GT:BTC or Astrogator's Guide to the Diaspora sector guide mixed with an expanded Rebel Reporter write up (from TD) and MOST IMPORTANTLY OF ALL a section in the style of 76 patrons, Amber Zones and short scenarios from JTAS. I would have followed that up with a big Daibei campaign adventure.

The alien modules would have been followed up by adventure modules giving Vargr, Vilani, Solomani and Aslan adventures.

And then I would have made the K'Kree attack while the carnivores were weak - that would have been cool.

And the war games as explained above - with neutral settings like Striker and TNE Battle Riders (although reading TJ4 Joe and co weren't into war games.)

Elliot

Elliot Citizen

Elliot
Old October 16th, 2003, 05:09 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Rupert Boleyn Citizen
Quote:
Originally posted by thrash:

With the prescience to foresee that result, I would instead use the Rebellion (past tense) as a device to reshape the Official Traveller Universe to whatever I thought would best promote adventuring. Play the war out to a conclusion using in-house rules (a la 2300 AD and "The Great Game"). Use that data to create a coherent but diverse and dynamic set of roleplaying settings, without the need to wipe the slate and start from scratch (i.e., Virus).
That's much what was done with the FFW, IIRC.

Quote:

The narrative of the war would still be available to referees who wanted to game out specific operations, or run "alternate history" campaigns based on changes in their outcome. The "official" answers would be on the table from the beginning, though, so that everyone else could get on with their own campaigns without fear of subsequent metaplot developments over-writing something they've worked hard to create.
This approach would also allow the publication of a really high-scale stategy game for the rebellion. A bigger Imperium, perhaps.

Rupert Boleyn Citizen
Quote:

With the prescience to foresee that result, I would instead use the Rebellion (past tense) as a device to reshape the Official Traveller Universe to whatever I thought would best promote adventuring. Play the war out to a conclusion using in-house rules (a la 2300 AD and "The Great Game"). Use that data to create a coherent but diverse and dynamic set of roleplaying settings, without the need to wipe the slate and start from scratch (i.e., Virus).

Quote:

The narrative of the war would still be available to referees who wanted to game out specific operations, or run "alternate history" campaigns based on changes in their outcome. The "official" answers would be on the table from the beginning, though, so that everyone else could get on with their own campaigns without fear of subsequent metaplot developments over-writing something they've worked hard to create.
This approach would also allow the publication of a really high-scale stategy game for the rebellion. A bigger Imperium, perhaps.

Rupert Boleyn Citizen
Quote:

Quote:

Old October 16th, 2003, 05:48 PM

Ganidirsii O'Flynn Citizen
Gods gentlemen... Reading this thread has kinda been like those scotch-fueled game geek philosophy conversations at (Insert Your Local)-Con! A bunch of us old-timers getting together over a pint and hashing out Where Gaming Went Wrong (or Right)...

{[insert voiceover of 'Festus' from 'Gunsmoke'] "I'll tell ya where it t'all went wrong, dangnabbit! It was dat gol-durned D&D cartoon! Dat's whut done it!} [img]graemlins/file_21.gif[/img]

OK, my two millicredits worth... Insofar as the Rebellion Era went, I have the impression (don't know where I got it) that MWM didn't nessessarily HAVE a final plan for the End of the 3I As We Know It (and I feel fine...). More than anything else, he wanted to "open up" the vast monolithic interior of the Imperium for exploration by a rabid Traveller junkie audience. That would be us...

Look, GDW went in the crapper because the product quality dropped, the deadlines were routinely missed, and paper costs went through the roof. Realistically the only way a game company could make a profit on an item like the "Astrogator's Guide to the Diaspora Sector" would have been to release a PDF, and the market wasn't available at the time, more's the pity.

Gods gentlemen... Reading this thread has kinda been like those scotch-fueled game geek philosophy conversations at (Insert Your Local)-Con! A bunch of us old-timers getting together over a pint and hashing out Where Gaming Went Wrong (or Right)...

{[insert voiceover of 'Festus' from 'Gunsmoke'] "I'll tell ya where it t'all went wrong, dangnabbit! It was dat gol-durned D&D cartoon! Dat's whut done it!} [img]graemlins/file_21.gif[/img]

OK, my two millicredits worth... Insofar as the Rebellion Era went, I have the impression (don't know where I got it) that MWM didn't nessessarily HAVE a final plan for the End of the 3I As We Know It (and I feel fine...). More than anything else, he wanted to "open up" the vast monolithic interior of the Imperium for exploration by a rabid Traveller junkie audience. That would be us...

Look, GDW went in the crapper because the product quality dropped, the deadlines were routinely missed, and paper costs went through the roof. Realistically the only way a game company could make a profit on an item like the "Astrogator's Guide to the Diaspora Sector" would have been to release a PDF, and the market wasn't available at the time, more's the pity.