Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > MegaTraveller

MegaTraveller Discuss of the MegaTraveller ruleset and the Rebellion Milieu

Old October 16th, 2003, 07:55 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
Elliot Citizen
OK - assuming that you are a fan of the Rebellion era (please no ‘leave as it is’ answers) - what should GDW/DGP have focused on if they were doing the mileau (this is not a rules question) properly. Imagine MWM saying to Joe Fugute: ‘Joe I want you to do the product lines like this…’

Your thoughts, my lords….

Elliot Citizen
OK - assuming that you are a fan of the Rebellion era (please no ‘leave as it is’ answers) - what should GDW/DGP have focused on if they were doing the mileau (this is not a rules question) properly. Imagine MWM saying to Joe Fugute: ‘Joe I want you to do the product lines like this…’

Elliot Citizen

Old October 16th, 2003, 10:23 AM

Gallery : 5
Visit Whipsnade's Blog
Whipsnade Citizen+Whipsnade Citizen+Whipsnade Citizen+
Elliot wrote:

"OK - assuming that you are a fan of the Rebellion era (please no ‘leave as it is’ answers) - what should GDW/DGP have focused on if they were doing the mileau (this is not a rules question) properly. Imagine MWM saying to Joe Fugute: ‘Joe I want you to do the product lines like this…’

Elliot,

Add a defined story arc. Joe is told: "This Rebellion idea looks real good, figure out how it ends and what shape the Imperium is in afterwards (or even if there is an Imperium), and we'll run with it."

A story arc would have given the Rebellion a path to follow, a sense of movement or flow, rather than the static, eternal feel it did have. A story arc would have also allowed GDW to collapse or expand game time as necessary to keep the OTU's history moving. More interesting or dramatic periods could move in the usual one-to-one relationship while less interesting times could be collapsed or 'fast forwarded' through.

Having a story arc in place doesn't mean that every adventure, amber zone, TNS brief, or product would be tied into moving the arc along. Look at B5, there were episodes and portions of epsiodes that did not advance the overall plot.

Having a story arc also doesn't mean that every incident or event within the arc is already known. Recently, I had the opportunity to sit in on a talk by Terry Pratchett and heard him use an analogy I've heard other writers use to explain plotting. He likened it to driving a car at night. You know where you're going; you have a goal, but you can only see as far as the headlights in front of you. Although you know where you'll eventually end up, there are still surprises and wonders to be discovered along the way.

Sincerely,
Larsen

Visit Whipsnade's Blog
Elliot wrote:

"OK - assuming that you are a fan of the Rebellion era (please no ‘leave as it is’ answers) - what should GDW/DGP have focused on if they were doing the mileau (this is not a rules question) properly. Imagine MWM saying to Joe Fugute: ‘Joe I want you to do the product lines like this…’

Elliot,

Add a defined story arc. Joe is told: "This Rebellion idea looks real good, figure out how it ends and what shape the Imperium is in afterwards (or even if there is an Imperium), and we'll run with it."

A story arc would have given the Rebellion a path to follow, a sense of movement or flow, rather than the static, eternal feel it did have. A story arc would have also allowed GDW to collapse or expand game time as necessary to keep the OTU's history moving. More interesting or dramatic periods could move in the usual one-to-one relationship while less interesting times could be collapsed or 'fast forwarded' through.

Having a story arc in place doesn't mean that every adventure, amber zone, TNS brief, or product would be tied into moving the arc along. Look at B5, there were episodes and portions of epsiodes that did not advance the overall plot.

Having a story arc also doesn't mean that every incident or event within the arc is already known. Recently, I had the opportunity to sit in on a talk by Terry Pratchett and heard him use an analogy I've heard other writers use to explain plotting. He likened it to driving a car at night. You know where you're going; you have a goal, but you can only see as far as the headlights in front of you. Although you know where you'll eventually end up, there are still surprises and wonders to be discovered along the way.

Sincerely,
Larsen

Visit Whipsnade's Blog
Elliot wrote:

Elliot,

Sincerely,
Larsen
Old October 16th, 2003, 10:38 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

Ranger Citizen
An interesting question. I think two things that would have really help would have been games to support the concept and help the GM manage the dynamic nature of the Rebellion concept.

One large scale game to govern the large fleet movements and strategic situation. There are a range of options, such as a typical hex or block movement system with subsectors or half subsectors as the areas and turns of 4 or 6 weeks. Another option would be a game along the political/military line like SPIs Russian Civil War or Empires of the Middle Ages.

A second game to deal with fleet level combat would have been nice too. Something simple, like SPIs Dreadnaught, where you could fight out larger engagements quickly, but still have more than the abstract combat system.

I think a couple of products like that would have 'brought the Rebellion to life', and given GMs and players to get the feel of the 'big picture' themselves.

Another thought is Faction Modules, like the CT Alien Modules, with more detail on each of the Factions and some speical CG rules to reflect regional differences.

Ranger Citizen
An interesting question. I think two things that would have really help would have been games to support the concept and help the GM manage the dynamic nature of the Rebellion concept.

One large scale game to govern the large fleet movements and strategic situation. There are a range of options, such as a typical hex or block movement system with subsectors or half subsectors as the areas and turns of 4 or 6 weeks. Another option would be a game along the political/military line like SPIs Russian Civil War or Empires of the Middle Ages.

A second game to deal with fleet level combat would have been nice too. Something simple, like SPIs Dreadnaught, where you could fight out larger engagements quickly, but still have more than the abstract combat system.

I think a couple of products like that would have 'brought the Rebellion to life', and given GMs and players to get the feel of the 'big picture' themselves.

Another thought is Faction Modules, like the CT Alien Modules, with more detail on each of the Factions and some speical CG rules to reflect regional differences.

Ranger Citizen

Old October 16th, 2003, 01:25 PM

Gallery : 28
Visit kafka47's Blog
kafka47 Citizen
I could see a wounded clossus scenario being played out. However, I would hope that Marc would want GDW/DGP to get at the stories behind the Rebellion, show the fatal hubris that led to the decline of the Imperium. I would hope as well that the Rebellion could be used as a story arc that would lead not neccessarily to fragmentation but reinvigorated focus upon the regions away from the CT territories of the Rim & Deneb.

For I believe it was Joe who cited that the Grand Tour allowed them to see the Imperium as a whole for the very first time. I would imagine MWM would want to see the different cultural regions fleshed out. To this end, we would see the beginnings of the noble sourcebook come into play. As high politics along with decisive movements on the battlefield would win battles.

I should also imagine that MWM visualized something like T2000 emerging from the ruins of the Imperium whereby, the Imperium is wasted but pockets of hope and resurgance are mushrooming, in places that we might not otherwise expect. Also, patterns of co-habitation/co-determination (in the German sense of the word) forming amongst the different worlds creating micro-polities.

How he expected the whole thing to end? It would seem that adopting the name of Avery on the lists here, he was, at least, vaguely aware