Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > MegaTraveller

MegaTraveller Discuss of the MegaTraveller ruleset and the Rebellion Milieu

Old September 22nd, 2003, 12:50 AM
Peer of the Realm

Gallery : 0
The Hinterworlds Rambler Citizen
Mind you, My Lords, I care mostly for the quality of roleplaying rather than rules minutae on the whole, but...

I for one thouroughly enjoyed the zen-like simplicity given by CT. MT, from the minute I bought the book (I am a completist, after all...) It was a very big disappointment to me. The whole Rebellion plotline seemed like a warmed-over
L. Ron Hubbard scenario, which is not meant as a complement, by any stretch...

Mechanically, I found the entire task system as, uneccessary, unimaginative, and clumsy, and the vehicle design rules just plain awkward and overcomplicated, as if the defense department and the guy who wrote my VCR Manual had written them...

My group at the time went right back to CT, saving some MT stuff for background data...

It sort of seemed as if MT was designed and executed to buy into the "fad" game mechanics at the time, and came off as a Johnny Come Lately...

Strange, My own "Long Night" from gaming came shortly after its release... a particulary edifying period of time... I viewed most other games of the period as crap, and was "bummed" that Traveller had sunk to meet the occasion...

[img]graemlins/omega.gif[/img]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF4C01hS2nI
Old September 22nd, 2003, 01:44 AM
Knight

Visit Blue Ghost's Blog
Blue Ghost has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally posted by Baron Saarthuran:
Mind you, My Lords, I care mostly for the quality of roleplaying rather than rules minutae on the whole, but...

I for one thouroughly enjoyed the zen-like simplicity given by CT. MT, from the minute I bought the book (I am a completist, after all...) It was a very big disappointment to me. The whole Rebellion plotline seemed like a warmed-over

Mechanically, I found the entire task system as, uneccessary, unimaginative, and clumsy, and the vehicle design rules just plain awkward and overcomplicated, as if the defense department and the guy who wrote my VCR Manual had written them...

My group at the time went right back to CT, saving some MT stuff for background data...

It sort of seemed as if MT was designed and executed to buy into the "fad" game mechanics at the time, and came off as a Johnny Come Lately...

Strange, My own "Long Night" from gaming came shortly after its release... a particulary edifying period of time... I viewed most other games of the period as crap, and was "bummed" that Traveller had sunk to meet the occasion...

That's interesting, Baron. I'm curious why you and your group didn't like the task system. By that I mean what actual part of it turned you guys off?

Our group, and specifically me as I ran most of the adventures, sometimes found it difficult to create somekind of scale for how effective skill levels were. For us the task system was much welcomed to resolve things like lockpick, fogery, medical related actions and the like.

I guess for some folks it may have taken some of the authority and power out of both players and referee's hands by quantifying what had been a subjective judgement.

One of the skills I was extremely pleased with was the "Combat Rifleman" skill. Anybody who's fired weapons of any sorts'll tell you that there's a certain degree of similarity among various rifles. It's not always the case (firing a Daisy 22 isn't the same as rattleing off a magazine for an AK-47), but the skill classification sure did ease a lot of questions. Like if my character knows how to fire weapon-X, then how come I can't handle weapon-Y, and so forth.

But now I'm rambleing. [img]smile.gif[/img] Thoughts?
Knight

Visit Blue Ghost's Blog
Quote:

That's interesting, Baron. I'm curious why you and your group didn't like the task system. By that I mean what actual part of it turned you guys off?

Our group, and specifically me as I ran most of the adventures, sometimes found it difficult to create somekind of scale for how effective skill levels were. For us the task system was much welcomed to resolve things like lockpick, fogery, medical related actions and the like.

I guess for some folks it may have taken some of the authority and power out of both players and referee's hands by quantifying what had been a subjective judgement.

One of the skills I was extremely pleased with was the "Combat Rifleman" skill. Anybody who's fired weapons of any sorts'll tell you that there's a certain degree of similarity among various rifles. It's not always the case (firing a Daisy 22 isn't the same as rattleing off a magazine for an AK-47), but the skill classification sure did ease a lot of questions. Like if my character knows how to fire weapon-X, then how come I can't handle weapon-Y, and so forth.

Knight

Visit Blue Ghost's Blog
Quote:

Old September 22nd, 2003, 02:10 AM
Peer of the Realm

If I remember correctly, the task system seemed to try to expound on the CT skill system, but the overall point of that was lost on us all... It stands to reason that someone with Medical-4 was better at it than someone with Medical-2. I think they liked the freedom of discussion about how difficult a task was or not, and how they would go about it... the UTP system seemed to bypass that... and take the fun out of it.

"Combat Rifleman" made perfect sense, but it made sense back in Book 4. I can see how a military character would have more experience on different types of weapons, however similar, and it stood to reason they could use them all. It also sttod to reason that "civilian" characters, with limited exposure to weaponry, would only know how to effectively use (IE no negative DMs) a specific type of weapon that they owned and had practiced with. This gave the notion that weapons had different handling characteristics, etc... a gauss rifle IS a kind of rifle, but one without any recoil that you need to take into acount for your next shot, a very different set of circumstances for someone used to the old bolt action...

Peer of the Realm

If I remember correctly, the task system seemed to try to expound on the CT skill system, but the overall point of that was lost on us all... It stands to reason that someone with Medical-4 was better at it than someone with Medical-2. I think they liked the freedom of discussion about how difficult a task was or not, and how they would go about it... the UTP system seemed to bypass that... and take the fun out of it.

"Combat Rifleman" made perfect sense, but it made sense back in Book 4. I can see how a military character would have more experience on different types of weapons, however similar, and it stood to reason they could use them all. It also sttod to reason that "civilian" characters, with limited exposure to weaponry, would only know how to effectively use (IE no negative DMs) a specific type of weapon that they owned and had practiced with. This gave the notion that weapons had different handling characteristics, etc... a gauss rifle IS a kind of rifle, but one without any recoil that you need to take into acount for your next shot, a very different set of circumstances for someone used to the old bolt action...

Peer of the Realm

Old September 22nd, 2003, 02:26 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

jchurchill Citizen
(including that cheesy Jim Holloway cartoon on the cover of the Players Manual) ================================================
You are referring to the cover where Pat Benetar and a member of Flock of Seagulls are trapped in a spaceship while in a firefight with some Star Wars almost copyright infringing stormtroopers advancing on them?

Ugh.

jchurchill Citizen
(including that cheesy Jim Holloway cartoon on the cover of the Players Manual) ================================================
You are referring to the cover where Pat Benetar and a member of Flock of Seagulls are trapped in a spaceship while in a firefight with some Star Wars almost copyright infringing stormtroopers advancing on them?

Ugh.

jchurchill Citizen

Ugh.