Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Classic Traveller

Classic Traveller Discussion on the granddaddy of them all, Classic Traveller!

Old May 24th, 2005, 01:37 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
Jeffr0 Citizen
Proto-Traveller is...

1) Book 2 ships only-- no High Guard!
2) A different map based on the Capitol premise from the Library Data of Adventure 2. (The Bottleneck Empire?) The Spinward Marches are still there, but most Empires are no bigger than a sector or two in size.
3) Piracy is not a flamewar here because pirates are built into the basic premise of the setting.
4) PC's actions can make a difference without them becoming Admirals or CEO's.
5) The Imperium board game is not necessarily grafted into future history of this setting.

Am I missing anything?

Library data from Adventures 1-3 sounds like the key thing to look at for background. Is there any other resources good to use?

This sounds like the game I want to play!
Old May 24th, 2005, 01:59 PM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeffr0:
This sounds like the game I want to play!
Me too [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old May 24th, 2005, 02:13 PM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen
As for other good CT resources:
all of the Double Adventures can be set just about anywhere - except perhaps Argon Gambit;
76 Patrons;
Citizens of the Imperium for fleshing out "Other" characters;
Traders and Gunboats;
Mercenary, except the expanded character generation.

Beltstrike, Tarsus, and the Traveller Adventure would all still work within the framework presented.
Old May 24th, 2005, 02:23 PM
Noble

This post by daryen over on the smaller Imperium thread has got me thinking too:
Quote:
Originally posted by daryen:
The Spinward Marches give a wonderful setup for a smaller Imperium. Actually, you can use any setup like:

- Just use the Sword World and Darrian Confederations. Let them intrigue and duke it out.

- Use the rim/spinward quadrant, but make the Five Sisters an independent empire based on Iderati. Now you have three small empires that can duke it out.

- Use the whole Marches, but make things self-contained. Now the Zhodani are based on Chronor and the half-sector Empire is based at Mora. In this case, the two Confederations become more relevant and can actually directly influence the local politics.

In the last case, you are not even really changing anything. You are just ignoring anything outside the Marches.
You could also redefine some of the areas within the Imperial Spinward Marches as being client states/pocket empires, with an Imperial Duke as a liaison/overseer. The Spinward Marches then become a true frontier region, not firmly under the Imperium's control.
Thus dissenting local politicians do occasionally end up in Imperial prison hulks; four Kinunir class battle cruisers with TL15 Marines are a force to be feared; planets within "the Imperium" go to war with each other while the Imps turn a blind eye; megacorporations pull the strings in the background...
Old May 24th, 2005, 10:48 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

RobertFisher Citizen
My campaign is somewhat in this spirit.

Traveller was my first roleplaying game to play with a regular group. (B/X D&D was my first roleplaying game, but never got a regular group together.) I never owned any of the books myself. By the time I bought my first Traveller product, Starter Traveller, I wasn't playing Traveller anymore.

Almost 20 years later, I finally get to play Traveller with a group again & ref it for the first time.

(Of course, in the intervening years, I occasionally gen'd characters & designed ships & did some solitaire play. I collected & read & discussed online. But...)

Despite my long history with this game, starting this campaign really made me feel like a novice. There's so much to CT, & my knowledge turns out to not be very deep in lots of areas.

So, I've very intentionally choosen to stick as close to the basics as I could. There are some things I can't resist (Sup 4). I'll happily leverage anything when it seems appropriate. But I try to keep it basic.

About Capital: What sort of astrography do you think fits the description in Adv 2? How narrow does the gap between the rifts need to be? (Unfortunately, it seemed a lot of the star charts from the older thread linked to in the other thread... [img]smile.gif[/img] ...aren't available anymore.)
Old May 25th, 2005, 09:02 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Jeffr0 Citizen
Rats...

The Library Data from Adventures 2 & 3 contradict my premise. The basic structure of the OTU is there at the beginning-- the Solomani, the Interstellar Wars, the Frontier Wars, the major races (except for the Hivers.)

I was hoping more of this would have turned out to be retcons. (Sigh) Ah well. I can still declare High Guard to be a retcon, though
Old May 25th, 2005, 09:23 AM
Citizen: SOC-1

murdocj Citizen
I've long been torn between the "coolness" factor of the Spinward Marches with the established Imperial history (not to mention the prepared adventures) and the idea of the smaller quasi-empires a few subsectors in size.

Reading this makes me [forehead slap].

Why didn't I think of this? Twenty years ago?

We'd play some OTU. Then I'd design a subsector or two and we'd play there for a while. Then I'd miss the Marches and we'd play there. Then I'd roll up a new subsector. Then back to OTU.

[Continue on and off for two decades.]

Obviously some re-jiggering would be required to do this. But nothing major.

I'd wonder a little about the large number of high-tech worlds in a small empire, though it's certainly not outlandish. Just a slightly different mind-set. And something like the Darrian pocket empire suddenly becomes far more influential with that tech level.

Other threads have folks rushing to the defense of the "big" Imperium. It's not that a smaller one is "better". It's that it's "better for my campaign".
Old May 26th, 2005, 03:06 PM
Noble

I'd just like to add - read the intros to Mercenary and High Guard again.

The image of the Imperium they conjure up to me fits much better with the Library data and general background of the first three adventures.
Old May 29th, 2005, 07:56 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 56
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis
I concur, mostly.

Until I got Supplement 8 (LD A-M), I figured the Imperium was about 8 sectors... the monster empire... and of those, 3 were clearly not full sectors...

Then again, at the time, I had 6 sectors, and 4 of them connected. Two of those four were extra-imperial.

A small imperium is not a bad thing. Just, My imperium needs to have at least 4 sectors where it has borders, and one of them needs to be the Spinward Marches.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old May 29th, 2005, 08:38 PM
Citizen: SOC-11

hcobb Citizen
Why not just delete Grandfather?

Every human in the galaxy starts on Earth and by the time the Jump Drive is invented only a very few humans have been even one parsec from Earth.

If the players travel far enough they'll run into the Aslan or the Hivers, but they're a long ways off.

See GURPS Traveller: Interstellar Wars for the setting details.

-HJC