Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > In My Traveller Universe

In My Traveller Universe Detail what parts of Traveller you do (or don't) use in your campaign.

Old August 30th, 2020, 09:39 AM
Noble

Gallery : 0
mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

Like I have said - a scale factor is needed and it is already in the game if you squint a bit.

The Size DM for the ship can be used in addition to other DMs, e.g. apply it to the damage table.

It can also be used to reduce the number of critical hit by subtraction (and yes that means -2 and -1 hull sizes take extra criticals).

And I still recommend differentiating between bay and turret weapons by dispensing with the +6DM on the damage table for bay weapons (note that this will make bay nukes nasty - if they can actually score a damage result).
Old August 30th, 2020, 11:37 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 1
Proneutron Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlobrand View Post
Oh, I don't think it's as bad as all that.
Well, after about 40 years no one has done it that I've seen. So I'll stick with that assessment until shown otherwise.
Old September 6th, 2020, 04:32 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Visit Carlobrand's Blog
Carlobrand Respected CitizenCarlobrand Respected CitizenCarlobrand Respected CitizenCarlobrand Respected CitizenCarlobrand Respected CitizenCarlobrand Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proneutron View Post
Well, after about 40 years no one has done it that I've seen. So I'll stick with that assessment until shown otherwise.
Working on that. Small chance of success, but I'm bored and I love crunching numbers, so why not.

An interesting thing happened while trying to figure out this Book-2/Book-5 thing. Striker tried to link Book-5 armor values into its armor system, in case a ship happened to be on the battlefield. It was not very successful. They ended up doing an errata, then MegaTrav came along and offered an entirely different method of linking the Striker armor values to a High Guard-like system.

So, I asked myself, if you assume an armor rating of X, based on what Megatraveller was saying - this thickness gives this bonus - how much bigger does a spacecraft have to be to get a +1 to the armor rating given the same percentage spent on armor? MegaTraveller doesn't actually count volume of armor (or hull) but I wanted to see where this went. The result was a 1:2:5 thing: moving from 10 dT to 20 dT gives a +1, 20 to 50 gives a +1, 50 to 100 gives a +1, 100 dT to 200 dT gives a +1, 200 to 500 gives a +1, and so on, and so on. It was odd and unexpected, but I guess it has something to do with the way that logarithmic system works. Working up from 10 dT to 200,000 dT, you end up with a +14 for the 200,000 dT over the 10 dT.

What you do with that is a matter of taste. You can start from 10 dT and the battleships end up getting heavy armor for a song, which means lots of space for back-up systems to deal with meson damage: they field battleships because battleships have more space for back-up systems than cruisers of the same armor rating. Or, you can start somewhere in the middle, and bigger ships benefit some while the smaller craft become tin-clads; a fighter is heavily armored when it manages to spend enough on armor to get out of crit territory.

An issue is that High Guard and Striker armor systems don't really mix. High Guard is additive, Striker runs some sort of logarithmic process, so those numbers work better for MegaTraveller. For High Guard, you'd do something based off a cube root function, and since it would be additive, the range from 10 dT to 200,000 dT would yield more like a factor of 27 for the battleship over the little fighter: the battleship would have 27 times the rating of the fighter for the same percentage spent. Those numbers get difficult even if you start somewhere in the middle. If you prefer a narrower range, better I think to scrap High Guard's percentages and import some adaptation of MegaTraveller's hull design system. It's far afield from High Guard, but it does offer some of the advantages of MegaTraveller without getting too deep into MT's cumbersome ship design rules. I'm working that up to see what it looks like.
Comments made are for the purpose of offering alternative campaign settings for consideration. The writer acknowledges that Traveller is intended to emulate certain common science fiction tropes and that, in the course of emulating those tropes and providing a better playing experience, some liberties must be taken with science. No statement by the writer should be interpreted as constituting a criticism of the game on that basis ... except for that bit about Virus. Dude, really?!
Old September 6th, 2020, 05:42 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Proneutron Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlobrand View Post
Working on that.
Cool I look forward to seeing it.