Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > In My Traveller Universe

In My Traveller Universe Detail what parts of Traveller you do (or don't) use in your campaign.

Old August 17th, 2020, 03:13 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
BRover Citizen

I worked up a setting including Cherryh's Mri as a mercenary-for-hire minor human race--out in Foreven, from somewhere far to Spinward (from the "Faded Sun" series.) Their current patrons were a non-human minor race, but more details were pretty nebulous. There were a few interactions, but then the party headed in a different direction (literally: into The Beyond, then the Vanguard Reaches). Still, it was interesting while it lasted.

Our Traveller Universes clearly are at variance. Blessed be the variance!
Old August 17th, 2020, 04:26 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++

There are two separate aspects involved, character generation and game mechanics.

Traveller character generation tends to be work specifically for experienced characters, not really for those on a complete hero's journey.

Game mechanics are simple enough to adapt to most franchises.
Old September 29th, 2020, 11:50 AM

Werner Citizen+Werner Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmax View Post
I don't know, maybe I am not expressing well what I am looking for, so let me try again and give an actual example.

I recently have been re-watching Star Gate Universe, and have been wondering what difficulties would there be for trying to create a Traveller game set in the Star Gate milieu? The main scenario might be something like SG1, or SG Atlantis, or SGU, or some home made variant.
So I am asking what sort of difficulties/hurdles one needs to watch out for, and be prepared to deal with, when making an existing background into a Traveller game. Are there things that are definitely deal killers when it comes to making such conversions?

Please don't give suggestions for StarGate, I am just using it as an example.
Please do not give lists of SciFi backgrounds that you have used or think would work well.
I am interested in what the process for such conversions is, and what methods have/have not worked.
I was hoping to learn from the experiences of others what pitfalls to avoid, and what aspects of such games are worth focusing on.
Stargate has some similarities to OTU traveller in that the characters often have military backgrounds, you have your Marines, Army, and Scouts, those would be the most frequent careers I think. The tech level is 7 plus a bunch of higher tech artifacts that get collected along the way.
Old September 29th, 2020, 07:14 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Grav_Moped Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Condottiere View Post
There are two separate aspects involved, character generation and game mechanics.

Traveller character generation tends to be work specifically for experienced characters, not really for those on a complete hero's journey.

Game mechanics are simple enough to adapt to most franchises.
But be careful when trying to carry over tech assumptions. It's easy to make a system that's fundamentally broken. Then again, the fictional universe you're adapting might be based on broken or inconsistent assumptions...
Old September 30th, 2020, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grav_Moped View Post
But be careful when trying to carry over tech assumptions. It's easy to make a system that's fundamentally broken. Then again, the fictional universe you're adapting might be based on broken or inconsistent assumptions...
Stargate involves mostly personal gear, not much use for starships.
Old October 1st, 2020, 01:11 AM
Administrator

Gallery : 56
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werner View Post
Stargate involves mostly personal gear, not much use for starships.
Not after season 6 or so... the latter seasons are heavy on the ship-based action. Still not primary, but plenty of.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old October 1st, 2020, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis View Post
Not after season 6 or so... the latter seasons are heavy on the ship-based action. Still not primary, but plenty of.
In a stargate setting, a gate needs to be delivered toward the destination in order to use stargate to travel there. Stargate have on occasion been used for time travel as well as travel to parallel universes.

A typical stargate campaign would start with the discovery of a stargate left by ancients, the tech level of the player characters can be anything.

There are two campaigns I can envision, one where the stargate is in the custody of the government and kept top secret on a need to know basis, the other one is where the stargate is discovered by private individuals and kept a secret for proprietary reasons, possible to maximize one's profits. Another possibility is a time travel stargate campaign, a third one is travel to parallel universes, or perhaps all three at once.
Old October 1st, 2020, 10:15 AM

I recently had an idea about a stargate campaign with spaceships. A stargate is discovered to a parallel Earth, there is nothing much on this parallel Earth, the highest tech level culture on it is tech level 1 in Traveller terms, but the discovers of the gate exploit it to maximum effect, it just leads to one Earth, but in the sky, a habitable Venus and Mars are discovered. Travelers from our World pass through the gate and push aside the bronze Age culture and start building roads and housing tracts, and finally someone gets around to building reusable liquid fueled rockets such as the SpaceX Starship, and plans are put into motion to explore Venus and Mars, a sort of updated Space 1889.
Old October 4th, 2020, 12:46 AM
Administrator

Gallery : 56
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werner View Post
In a stargate setting, a gate needs to be delivered toward the destination in order to use stargate to travel there. Stargate have on occasion been used for time travel as well as travel to parallel universes.

A typical stargate campaign would start with the discovery of a stargate left by ancients, the tech level of the player characters can be anything.

There are two campaigns I can envision, one where the stargate is in the custody of the government and kept top secret on a need to know basis, the other one is where the stargate is discovered by private individuals and kept a secret for proprietary reasons, possible to maximize one's profits. Another possibility is a time travel stargate campaign, a third one is travel to parallel universes, or perhaps all three at once.
The Stargate universe has FTL drives. Pretty damned good ones... Light years per day level. Earth doesn't until defeating Anubis, after which, more and more of the show involves ships...

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old October 4th, 2020, 09:17 AM

wellis Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis View Post
The Stargate universe has FTL drives. Pretty damned good ones... Light years per day level. Earth doesn't until defeating Anubis, after which, more and more of the show involves ships...
Some of the fastest hyperdrives in Stargate are capable of traveling, when having the power source for it, 3 million lightyears in 4 days. Around 273,750,000c.

Goa'uld hyperdrives in Season 4, IIRC, were capable of traveling 4 million lightyears in 125 years (an estimation by a character) so they would have a speed around 32,000c [around 87.67 ly/day] And the Goa'uld are sort of the midrange baseline most people use for tech.

For comparison, the highest speed current Imperial jump drives can reach is slightly over 1000c (specifically around 1019c).

So yeah, definitely faster than Traveller jump drives.