Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > In My Traveller Universe

In My Traveller Universe Detail what parts of Traveller you do (or don't) use in your campaign.

Old August 1st, 2020, 02:26 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis View Post

Most players don't think about travel nor combat in 3D
Folks care about how long it takes to get from X to Y, up, down, right, left, north, south, doesn't really matter.

Most folks flying from the West Coast to Europe know or care that the plane follow a "great circle" route. Most who might give it a second though probably think the planes just head east over New York and the Atlantic.
Old August 2nd, 2020, 05:35 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

sudnadja Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marchand View Post
Anyway, with time on my hands during lockdown, in the course of an evening I set up the Interstellar Wars era space around Sol (from the GURPS book) in a real-stars 3D sector, using a list I found in another thread that mapped Traveller worlds to real stars. I look forward to giving it a spin when my face to face gaming resumes.
What are you using as your source of Traveller to real stars? I've got a list going too, and it's a mix of canonical mappings and conjecture, but even at that there are a number of nearby real world stars that as far as I know don't have Traveller counterparts. Here is my map of <=6 pc space. Traveller names in large black text, associated stars in smaller red text and smaller blue text represent stars that do not have (to my knoweldge) Traveller analogues.

Old August 3rd, 2020, 10:43 AM

whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudnadja View Post
Here is my map of <=6 pc space.
Is the cube 6 pc on a side, or are the start within 6 pc of Terra? (thus the cube being 12 pc on a side)
Old October 17th, 2020, 02:43 PM

Werner Citizen+Werner Citizen+

This is great! I might use it in my Traveller 1889 campaign.
Old October 17th, 2020, 08:31 PM

BRover Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by whartung View Post
Is the cube 6 pc on a side, or are the start within 6 pc of Terra? (thus the cube being 12 pc on a side)
Given Dingir and Forlorn are mapped, it looks like 12 pc on a side.

Our Traveller Universes clearly are at variance. Blessed be the variance!
Old October 18th, 2020, 05:16 AM

Straybow Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativehum View Post
A retcon is not needed, since Miller has been quite plain in the reasoning for the 2D map. [cites article on 2D map]
Uh, no... you've just shown that any "2D jump space" is, indeed, a retcon (retroactive continuity, a plot/writing device introduced later to explain something that didn't make sense or that changed).
Han shot first, and per parsec pricing is RAW!
Old October 18th, 2020, 02:16 PM

kilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizen

The whole 3-D star map thing got settled for me very quickly.

Traveller came out near same time as that SPI weirdo classic, StarForce.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/StarForce:_Alpha_Centauri

So I looked at using that, had a nice workable map and it's not a big deal to just multiply jumps by parsecs.

Just not worth the effort for play effects.

Nowadays I just use the Imperium map with J-1 limits and refueling at Oort clouds (not minding the need for gravitic 'stop wells'). Noted all the star types, built my systems off RTT Worldgen per stellar effects and first 100 years, done.

Whatever works.

Ironically, the Alien RPG map reminds me a lot of a simplified but bigger Starforce map, a lot less drawing lines on routes but still ship speed and refuel limits, works for that game. Just a different gig.
Old October 18th, 2020, 06:15 PM
Vice Administrator

Gallery : 1
Visit Cryton's Blog
Cryton has disabled reputation
Send a message via Skype™ to Cryton

The Milky Way 's disc, for example is approximately 1 kpc thick but thickness can vary for discs in other galaxies."

Just FYI, the above is, What is generally considered fact.

From that, as Earth has only just crossed the galactic plane, we have about 500 pc above us, and below us.

And as "Not all systems above and below are represented", max jump for a TL 15 world is Jump 6., we can infer a +/- 3-6 off the galactic main (z axsis)

Allowing for Imperial Standard tech of J2 (TL 12) and providing we can assume that the slice of worlds listed on the Traveller Map/AKA Charted space is a flat "slice" and not twisted or bent, the plane for 3I mapping is only 4 pc thick.

We can infer from this, that countless worlds are available for those wishing to make their own "Congruent" Jumpspace maps, so long as they do not propagate closer than 36 parsecs form Earth. (the minimum distance allowed by a 1d6 x 1d6 misjump to be possibly fully off the map.)

My opinion. Have fun. Sci fi is able to handle all of that, and "20 minutes in the future", it can handle an alternate Mileu just outside of Jump distance.

Richard Ricker, Baron of the 3I since 2010 Duke since 2016
Baron of Spirelle
Spin 1927 Spirelle C766846-8
Duke of D'Artur
Dagu 0924 D'Artur AAE7443-E
Old October 18th, 2020, 06:40 PM

sudnadja Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by whartung View Post

Now with tick marks on the axes;
Old October 18th, 2020, 06:50 PM

sudnadja Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRover View Post
Given Dingir and Forlorn are mapped, it looks like 12 pc on a side.

To be clear on how I'm generating this map, I use the canonical Traveller systems->real world stars list, supplemented with another group of conjectural systems, then look up the real world positions and plot the system as the real world location. Dingir, for example, I have listed as CD-34 11626 which is 143 mas of parallax and therefore 6.99 parcec away. The geometric map distance on the travellermap would be 7.21 parcec away, but we also know that canonically space is not defined geometrically and the "actual traveller distance" is 8 parsec.

When I draw the map, sometimes I will draw objects outside of the bounding box and depending on how I rotate the view, it might appear inside. It's hard to draw 3d on a 2d screen