Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > MegaTraveller

MegaTraveller Discuss of the MegaTraveller ruleset and the Rebellion Milieu

Old August 6th, 2018, 10:06 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 0
BwapTED Citizen

Did the events of the canonical timeline actually see the Vargr or somebody else sever the routes between the Spinward Marches and the rest of the Imperium, or was Norris' fence-sitting always just a political thing?
Old August 6th, 2018, 10:14 PM
Count

Visit whulorigan's Blog
whulorigan Respected Citizenwhulorigan Respected Citizenwhulorigan Respected Citizenwhulorigan Respected Citizenwhulorigan Respected Citizenwhulorigan Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BwapTED View Post
Did the events of the canonical timeline actually see the Vargr or somebody else sever the routes between the Spinward Marches and the rest of the Imperium, or was Norris' fence-sitting always just a political thing?

The Vargr overran Corridor Sector, cutting off the Domain of Deneb from the Imperial core.

WHULorigan (Wayne)

Lord Richard Elruinn Ilendrick Rhovanion of Rhylanor
Count RhovanionSPIN 2716 Rhylanor A434934-FSir Richard, Knight (Kt)SPIN 2716 Rhylanor A434934-F
MarquisSPIN 0433 Jone B792785-9Sir Richard Elruinn, Knight (Kt)FORN 0727 Dirli C994422-8
Baronet of Jae TellonaSPIN 2814 Jae Tellona A560565-8Knight of Deneb (KD)SPIN 2814 Jae Tellona A560565-8
Baron of the Third ImperiumSPIN 3220 Powaza C787566-5Knight of the Third Imperium (KTI)SPIN 3235 Trin A894A96-F
Knight of the Iridium Throne (KIT)CORE 2419 Sevan A544576-A
Richard Elruinn Rhovanion (TAS Member #0008)SPIN 2716 Rhylanor A434934-F

Other Awards
:
Duke of the Third ImperiumREAV 3209 Kylian BA57742-A
Duke of KhouthCORR 0104 Khouth A8C3999-D
Viscount of AlellSPIN 1706 Alell B56789CA
Baron of ImlaarDENE 2212 Imlaar D677551-6SEH - For Extreme Heroism @ The Battle of Ruby
Baroness of NorthammonDENE 0921 Northammon B764667-AMCGx2 - For Conspicuous Gallantry @ The Assaults on Dinomn & Denotam

Link: Traveller5 Noble Patents Registry
Old August 6th, 2018, 11:06 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 56
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Canonically, both, and more.

Norris was unwilling to commit to Lucan, whom he knew was unhinged, and uncertain if "Real Strephon" was really Strephon Aella Alkhalikoi.

The Vargr incursions were not a complete cutoff.

The Secession of the Ziru Sirkaa, however, was as much or more of an impediment to going the "easy but slow" way "Around the Horn".

Which left only the "No fleet crossing practical" Islands "Short but hard" route, which also happened to lead straight into Dulinor Loyal areas...

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu dt f+ fs++ ge ih- inf j jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old August 13th, 2018, 12:07 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

BRJN Citizen+BRJN Citizen+

Quote:
[ -The Solomani Government- seems not to do much with the opportunities presented, in canon.
I pulled my old Traveller books out of my oversized closet ... err, garage. Alien Module 5 Solomani and Rebellion Sourcebook confirmed my recollections. In both cases, the fleets at the 'tops of the horseshoe' attack Coreward, getting no closer to the announced goal(s), Terra and the old Solomani Sphere boundary. This reminded me of the Stalingrad / Caucasus campaign: develop a lengthy flank and leave it hanging. It also means the Solomani are trying to operate three separate theatres simultaneously. While knowing they have a limited resource base and will be overwhelmed if this war goes on too long.

I also noticed the Depot map, which I had forgotten about. Depot / Diaspora is right near the limits of previous Solomani claims. Hmmm...

The Solomani Grand Strategy should have been to cut off Vega (and Terra) and provide the Solomani government with real depth, THEN move Coreward. Initially, a pre-emptive demolition of Depot / Daibei heralds pincer drives Spinward and Rimward along the Diaspora / Solomani Rim sector boundary. Their secret final goal is Depot / Diaspora as a forward base for the next generation's war, but publicly they want to restore the Solomani Sphere (and maybe create some buffer states in between the Sphere and the Rifts).

More intelligent diplomacy would have encouraged Vega to secede from the Imperium, holding out the offer of the same autonomous status within the Sphere. If possible, wreck Depot / Solomani Rim because it's right next door to them and doing so advertises "The Imperium cannot protect you any more". For all the Imperial-Occupied Territories, downplay the Solomani Supremacy meme, instead proclaiming "we can drive away the fear and the chaos and the uncertainty. Join us!"

I found an old discussion thread of a Solomani client-state having an improved General Staff to help create 'genius generals'. I'll borrow that but mix in some IRL history: the IMTU genius who recognizes the Old Expanses opportunity and comes up with a Schlieffen Plan (now aiming directly at Depot / Diaspora) is actually a Staff Officer, not the visible Admiral in charge.