Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > MegaTraveller

MegaTraveller Discuss of the MegaTraveller ruleset and the Rebellion Milieu

Old October 21st, 2003, 05:09 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
theSea Citizen
Arrow

my cr0.02

I think the biggest problem with the Rebellion was that it developed organically, without a plan. I agree tht the MT boxed set, as released, represented an interesting shakeup for the OTU. The problem is that it started out intentionally ambigious and when the time came to advance the plot they made it up as they went along. Bzzzt! It's okay to improvise but one should have a goal in mind. I doubt that neverending struggle was ever the goal.

IMHO, the *entire* OTU suffers from this improvisation weakness... the scope established with the release of later CT products was obviously not the scope intended in the early days of the OTU. Some days I wonder if those squares on the big OTU map weren't originally intended as subsectors.

<digression>
Now there's a thought - set a game in the OTU but make it 1/16 size. I've toyed in the past with creating my own setting based on the OTU but with things small enough and close enough together that the PC's could make a difference. The Aslan are still there, the Ancients and all they represent (Vargr, Droyne etc.), the K'kree and hivers are out there too. I get to use all of these wonderful, detailed, things from the OTU, but set it in a time and a place where a 1000dton cruiser *is* a notable ship and maybe we don't know everyting there is to know about these weird alien races on our borders.
</digression>

I think the faction books would have been a great idea- especially if each one introduced an alternate timeline in which *their* faction won the Rebellion. That would have served to keep things ambigious and open (as per the original goals of MT) while denying any particular outcome the benefit of canon's gravitas.

All in all I'm a big fan of the OTU. But I can also see that a lot of the things that make it cool as a SF setting (scope, detail etc.) are also things that are problematic as a gaming setting.... which explains why so many of us spend much more time playing with the OTU rather than in the OTU.

And yes - it is quite possile to play Traveller outside the OTU. It's a great setting, but not the be all and end all. Some of us do also like and admire Traveller as an RPG rules set which allows gaming out the future of our OWN imagination. But OY that is a LOT of work.

And that, dear readers, is the beauty of our olde game - a little something there for everyone.

pax,

--michael