Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > The Lone Star

The Lone Star Meet, greet and socialize with your fellow Travellers in the Lone Star Lounge. Random Topics.

Old June 9th, 2012, 05:43 AM
Citizen: SOC-7

Gallery : 0
philabbot Citizen
Default 'Shadows' in CT: can't figure it out...

First owned this when it first came out; just got it again & want to incorporate it into my MgT campaign. But one thing I could never figure out & still can't...

All the way thru the description of the base, it seems as if it's been abandoned & only the animals are living there now.

But then the final section, 'Referee's Notes' refers to the aliens who built the base in present tense:

'they are reptilian'; 'food must be eaten live'; 'breeding chambers serve to produce small animals... A hungry alien simply grabs one'; 'The aliens who man (sic) the interior... the others who live a life in the wilds outside'; The aliens have a great deal of interest...'

So... are those aliens still supposed to be around? Manning the base or nearby? Confused...

Anybody ever played this with the aliens still in residence? What race did you use? Hostile...?

Thanks!
Old June 9th, 2012, 07:17 AM
Count

Gallery : 5
Visit Spinward Scout's Blog
Spinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout Awesome

In the version in The Traveller Book, the very last section of the adventure (the last couple of paragraphs) is titled 'The Situation Today'. That's where you'll find your answers. If you don't have that in your version, let me know.
Old June 9th, 2012, 07:52 AM
Administrator

Gallery : 56
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinward Scout View Post
In the version in The Traveller Book, the very last section of the adventure (the last couple of paragraphs) is titled 'The Situation Today'. That's where you'll find your answers. If you don't have that in your version, let me know.
I'll go ahead and quote that section, in spoiler block, since it's three paragraphs...
Spoiler:
The Situation Today: This colony failed many years ago. The aliens outside have died off and the food animals seeded outside have dispersed; the area has proven unable to support the numbers of aliens expected. All that remains today is the pyramid complex and the animals within, supported through the years by the power plant which continues to operate.

These food animals, originally docile, have regressed from their meek roles to wilder, more aggressive types, and as such they now pose some danger to the adventurers.

The area outside the structure may present additional challenges or interests to the adventurers. Some members of the original colony may still survive, although in what form is not certain. Some may retain their philosophical civilization, or they may have regressed to savagery. The original colony ship is almost certainly disintegrated by the local atmosphere by now. And any outside investigation would have to take into account the effects of insidious atmosphere on vacuum suits.

In other words, they're not "ancients"... commentary in this sblock...
Spoiler:
They probably failed in the last 100-200 years. They should have a world in a nearby location, seeing as it's set on Yoribund...

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old June 11th, 2012, 11:16 AM

philabbot Citizen
Default thanks guys

ohhhh, that's where they put it!

cheers, that completes the puzzle for me
Old June 11th, 2012, 11:19 AM

philabbot Citizen
Default and just remembered...

in kinunir, there's a rumour:

Quote:
A scholar (age 58, 692CC9) has been researching the previous cultures which have inhabited this region (prior to the arrival of humans). His inquiry has lead him to believe that Knorbes (0207) and Shionthy (0706) are both former hubs of such cultures. Unfortunately, Shionthy is interdicted, and Knorbes is a game preserve with no records, and strict travel restrictions.
and shionthy is only jump-3 from yorbund, so maybe that's where they came from...
Old June 11th, 2012, 12:35 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 5
Visit Whipsnade's Blog
Whipsnade Citizen+Whipsnade Citizen+Whipsnade Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by philabbot View Post
... and shionthy is only jump-3 from yorbund, so maybe that's where they came from...

Shionthy is a planetoid belt.

The rumor in Kinunir refers to the Ancients, although not by that name. When you look over the adventure again, you'll find that one of the ships is orbiting Knorbes in order to protect an Ancients site.

There's no official explanation for the Shadows aliens, although there is a fanon material which links them to a STL-using minor race in the Vargr Extents.
Old June 11th, 2012, 01:07 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

AlHazred Citizen
Send a message via AIM to AlHazred Send a message via Yahoo to AlHazred Send a message via Skype™ to AlHazred

Of potential interest: there is an unofficial fanon followup adventure, Deep Shadows.
Old June 11th, 2012, 03:05 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Jame Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvolz View Post
Of potential interest: there is an unofficial fanon followup adventure, Deep Shadows.
Ahhh, it's *fanon*. So no wonder it used those H'kar folks.
Member #5, Bring Back T5 in LBBs.

"Unfortunately, the Publishers regret that they can enter into no correspondence on this matter. If the Publishers are involved in any correspondence, they shall trace and revoke your mail priveleges."

Baron Damaascaa Towns, Kiikigulii, 1735 Sakhag/Antares
Old June 11th, 2012, 04:29 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 56
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whipsnade View Post
Shionthy is a planetoid belt.

The rumor in Kinunir refers to the Ancients, although not by that name. When you look over the adventure again, you'll find that one of the ships is orbiting Knorbes in order to protect an Ancients site.

There's no official explanation for the Shadows aliens, although there is a fanon material which links them to a STL-using minor race in the Vargr Extents.
There is enough in Shadows to rule it out as an ancients site... which also means it can't have them from Shionthy, as it was settled during the 3I, and...
Spoiler:
Shionthy is what's left of Eskaloyt, the ancients/droyne home world.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old June 11th, 2012, 06:46 PM
Knight

Visit Blue Ghost's Blog
Blue Ghost has disabled reputation

Yeah, it was never an Ancient site, just a site that happened to be "ancient" with some other race involved.

I always wanted to write up a few follow ups to some of the official LBBs. I may give it a shot tonight.

"Return to Mithril", by Blue Ghost

Last edited by Blue Ghost; June 14th, 2012 at 12:17 AM..