Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > In My Traveller Universe

In My Traveller Universe Detail what parts of Traveller you do (or don't) use in your campaign.

Old November 5th, 2016, 10:51 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 4
Visit timerover51's Blog
timerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoki View Post
A lot of that cost is how much you pay your troops. The US military pays singularly well for their soldiers. Many nations pay far less. Then there's conscription. If that's being used, the troops may receive very little pay in many cases.

Throw in the cost of quarters, food, etc. Depending on how this is handled the cost could be low to exorbitant. What if the Imperial Army et. al., generally had troops occupying some world build their own quarters out of local materials appropriated for that purpose? That's very common throughout history. Garrison troops might even be required to raise some portion of their food supply in some cases.

So, the cost per soldier could vary considerably.
You need to consider the cost of High Tech Level equipment and troop training, and also the very wide range of environments that the Imperium operates in. One worlds with tainted atmosphere and Vacuum to Very Thin atmospheres, you will need pressurized barracks or barracks with filtered air, with any operation requiring troops training in pressure suits and pressurized vehicles. The US Army in World War 2 determined that it was cheaper to supply pre-fabricated housing overseas than to try and build with local materials, if local materials were even available.

Typically, military personnel are not enthralled with unfamiliar food, which you may have to feed if dependent on local resources. Mutton, widely eaten in Great Britain, Australia, and New Zealand, was not regarded as acceptable by US troops. Canned mutton was even more disliked, as was Australian "Bully Beef". The Japanese supply system assumed that the troops would grow their own food and to an extent live off of the land. That did not work well on the Pacific islands.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

They that go down to the sea in ships,
that do business in great waters;
These see the works of the LORD,
and his wonders in the deep.
Old November 7th, 2016, 12:40 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
Duke Craig Citizen
Default Hi All

Quote:
Originally Posted by flykiller View Post
just bumping for the sake of the recent economics thread.
Thanks for the bump, flykiller.

tc+ tm tn+ t4+ ru- ge+ 3i+ c+ jt j+ pp+ au+ ls+ pi+
he+ kk- hi+ as+ va++ dr++ ith+ vr- ne- so+ zh+ vi+ da+ sy+
Old November 7th, 2016, 03:15 AM

Duke Craig Citizen
Default Revisiting my earlier post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Craig View Post
Thanks for these important questions.
The answer to the first question is probably yes, depending on the era that you are using. Because Sylea at Year 0 had TL = C, but Capital had TL = F in 1100. These SRU values are in Resource Units. Multiply by 5,000 million (yes, that is 5 trillion) to convert to CrImp Imperial Credits. Which suggests that they are modified to TL 12 in the early era (Third Imperium 0-400), and TL 15 in the classic era (1105). Because TL C is the "gold standard" in Early (T4) era whereas TL F is the "gold standard" in the Classic (1105) era.
Opps. I just noticed an error in my earlier post.
These SRU values are in Resource Units. Multiply by 5,000 million (yes, that is 5 trillion)...
Cr 5,000 million is Cr 5 billion. NOT Cr 5 trillion as mentioned within the brackets in the earlier post.

Sorry for any confusion generated from the earlier post.

Has anyone else used the algorithms in T4 Pocket Empires to assist them to flesh out YTU?

Thanks for reading.
Cheers.

Old November 7th, 2016, 05:16 AM

Gallery : 39
Visit Magnus von Thornwood's Blog
Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++
Small Starburst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Craig View Post
/snip/

Has anyone else used the algorithms in T4 Pocket Empires to assist them to flesh out YTU?

Thanks for reading.
Cheers.
Not exactly. Since very similar data is generated in T5 SysGen I am thinking of how to adapt it to my ATU. And I own a horridly over highlighted copy of T4: PE. Much love for that book, first real look at working nobles and how the Imperium functioned in the early days.
Duke of Sinta, Count Smoug, Viscount Alell, Musayid, & Nii Khu, Marquis Malory & Phlume, Baron Donu-na,
Knight Retainer of the Emperor for Salla, Inarli, & Bhuur,
Knight Retainer of the Baron Jacha, Knight Retainer of the Baronet Kiind,
Knight of the Third Imperium for Trane,
Travellers' Aid Society Member #0543.

Thornwood-Daarnulud LLC

"Some annoying, some entertaining, a few informative, but, Always, Magnus."
dean
Old November 7th, 2016, 08:09 AM

Gallery : 29
Enoki Citizen++Enoki Citizen++Enoki Citizen++Enoki Citizen++

Quote:
Originally Posted by timerover51 View Post
You need to consider the cost of High Tech Level equipment and troop training, and also the very wide range of environments that the Imperium operates in. One worlds with tainted atmosphere and Vacuum to Very Thin atmospheres, you will need pressurized barracks or barracks with filtered air, with any operation requiring troops training in pressure suits and pressurized vehicles. The US Army in World War 2 determined that it was cheaper to supply pre-fabricated housing overseas than to try and build with local materials, if local materials were even available.

Typically, military personnel are not enthralled with unfamiliar food, which you may have to feed if dependent on local resources. Mutton, widely eaten in Great Britain, Australia, and New Zealand, was not regarded as acceptable by US troops. Canned mutton was even more disliked, as was Australian "Bully Beef". The Japanese supply system assumed that the troops would grow their own food and to an extent live off of the land. That did not work well on the Pacific islands.
That is true for troops that are in field operations. I suspect much of what the Imperium does with ground troops is occupation and garrison duty. The Imperial Marines are the offensive troops most of the time.

If that's the case, an Army garrison / occupation force really isn't doing a lot of fighting. They do training exercises and occasionally show their muscle. But, for the most part they have time to do stuff like engineering tasks and such.
On worlds like vacuum planets or other hostile environments I could see specialized engineers or contractors coming in to build the basics then leave it up to the troops to improve on things afterwards. After all, these troops would have to learn to deal with their environment.

In any case, sure pre-fabricated buildings could be used. The troops could be the ones tasked with assembly too. But, such buildings might also be seen as a starting point and the troops continue to build more "stuff" afterwards to add to their comfort.
Old April 8th, 2020, 12:07 AM

Duke Craig Citizen
Default IMTU possible heresy within...

Bump.

Thanks for reading.

Old April 21st, 2020, 08:29 PM
Citizen: SOC-10

BRover Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by timerover51 View Post
. . .
You are only thinking teeth, you are forgetting about the supporting tail, which is going to be a lot more people that the teeth.
The K'kree tails are not that big. But please take your horrid, carnivorous teeth elsewhere.

Our Traveller Universes clearly are at variance. Blessed be the variance!