Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Mongoose Traveller

Mongoose Traveller Discussion forums for the Traveller rules from Mongoose Publishing.

Old September 11th, 2019, 10:22 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
CaptRet Citizen
Default Book 8: Dilettante Anybody roll up one ?

Has anybody created a "Dilettante" noble per Book 8 ? (Put it in quotes, as the book allows for various classes and types). Did you find the Portfolio benefit (a lot of monthly income) destabilizing to the campaign? How many Portfolio benefits did you allow (I'm thinking max of two). I already had rolled up a "noble since birth" character (natural 11), but as he also had decent Int and Edu, sent him to the Naval Academy and he had a good naval career (increased Soc by 1 upon leaving career) and then spent one term in the 2nd ed. Core Rulebook Noble career - received a "yacht" ((safari ship)) out of it with 25 %mortgage paid off, an inheritance from a relative under Life Events). While rolling up other characters (ret. Navy CPO engineer; ret. Marine Col, knighted; former Navy Lt. pilot; ret. Marine Gunny - all of whom served together) also got another with 10 Soc, but poor Str and End, and mediocre Edu, but good Dex. Seemed like a bad candidate for the armed services but possible Dilettante (rolled her up per Book 8 as Aristocrat, Chevalier subclass - the good Dex making her a possible duelist). In addition to being knighted eventually (Soc 11), she also received a "yacht" with 25 % paid off. If I use her in this crew, I'm toying with the idea of it being the same vessel and the two nobles being cousins having to share the bequest from their great grand aunt (could be amusing if their goals don't perfectly align). What is giving me pause is that her Portfolio monthly income is over 26,000 credits and this steady infusion of cash could mean the crew might not be as "hungry" to earn monthly mortgage and ship costs. Thoughts ?
Old September 11th, 2019, 10:53 AM
Count

Visit whulorigan's Blog
whulorigan Citizen++whulorigan Citizen++whulorigan Citizen++whulorigan Citizen++whulorigan Citizen++

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRet View Post
What is giving me pause is that her Portfolio monthly income is over 26,000 credits and this steady infusion of cash could mean the crew might not be as "hungry" to earn monthly mortgage and ship costs. Thoughts ?
That doesn't necessarily have to be the motivation to adventure. Having a source of income to pay off a vessel (esp. a non-mercantile one) is not necessarily a bad thing; it opens up the possibility that the characters may have other economically viable forms of employment (or personal drives and motivations) to adventure.

WHULorigan (Wayne)

Lord Richard Elruinn Ilendrick Rhovanion of Rhylanor
Count RhovanionSPIN 2716 Rhylanor A434934-FSir Richard, Knight (Kt)SPIN 2716 Rhylanor A434934-F
MarquisSPIN 0433 Jone B792785-9Sir Richard Elruinn, Knight (Kt)FORN 0727 Dirli C994422-8
Baronet of Jae TellonaSPIN 2814 Jae Tellona A560565-8Knight of Deneb (KD)SPIN 2814 Jae Tellona A560565-8
Baron of the Third ImperiumSPIN 3220 Powaza C787566-5Knight of the Third Imperium (KTI)SPIN 3235 Trin A894A96-F
Knight of the Iridium Throne (KIT)CORE 2419 Sevan A544576-A
Richard Elruinn Rhovanion (TAS Member #0008)SPIN 2716 Rhylanor A434934-F

Other Awards
:
Duke of the Third ImperiumREAV 3209 Kylian BA57742-A
Duke of KhouthCORR 0104 Khouth A8C3999-D
Viscount of AlellSPIN 1706 Alell B56789CA
Baron of ImlaarDENE 2212 Imlaar D677551-6SEH - For Extreme Heroism @ The Battle of Ruby
Baroness of NorthammonDENE 0921 Northammon B764667-AMCGx2 - For Conspicuous Gallantry @ The Assaults on Dinomn & Denotam

Link: Traveller5 Noble Patents Registry
Old September 11th, 2019, 02:15 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

ShawnDriscoll Citizen+ShawnDriscoll Citizen+

I've never had issues using it.
Old September 11th, 2019, 02:52 PM
Baron

Visit Kilgs's Blog
Kilgs Citizen++Kilgs Citizen++Kilgs Citizen++Kilgs Citizen++

Just check with GM. Dilettante is generally supposed to be used in a "nobles" campaign but it can be used in a regular one so long as everyone is okay with it.

On that note, check with the players too. Make sure they're cool hanging out with Richie-Rich.

The obvious role for such a noble is a non-working ship owner who is just there for the fun and adventure. You could also convert the pension into a ship ownership %.

Great RP opportunities though as the rich-yet-ignorant-of-lower-class-incomes wants to hit the nightlife at each starport and spend a few thousand creds... one night with him/her and the crew are going to be sick of it.
Old September 11th, 2019, 04:38 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 43
Visit atpollard's Blog
atpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesome

Quote:
Has anybody created a "Dilettante" noble per Book 8 ?
Did you find the Portfolio benefit (a lot of monthly income) destabilizing to the campaign?
I created a character that was later nicknamed by one of the other player as "Fred the Red". Fred was a Dilettante and ended up with skill levels in Artistic and Legal. This was because Fred kept rolling "mishaps" that got him involved in some sort of political trouble, but always rolled to end up on the winning side.

So with his tens of thousands of credits per month, Fred decided to just become a "Cosmopolite" ... a citizen of the universe ... and each month purchase a First Class ticket to anywhere that whim took him, where he spent the next three weeks looking for political injustice to stick his Legal-3 nose into and some inspiration for his next artwork.

Wealth did not eliminate adventure, it made Fred completely free to pursue any adventure for any personal reason. Wealthy, bored and looking for SOMETHING interesting to do.
Old September 11th, 2019, 04:40 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Nathan Brazil Citizen+Nathan Brazil Citizen+

I did not make characters for use in a game, but I make heavy use of the Social Status scaling rules to allow other characters to shine. Money does take away from the day to day getting scratch campaigns, but it does grease the wheels for most other styles of play. Work on that.
Old September 11th, 2019, 11:03 PM

BRJN Citizen

Quote:
What is giving me pause is that her Portfolio monthly income is over 26,000 credits and this steady infusion of cash could mean the crew might not be as "hungry" to earn monthly mortgage and ship costs. Thoughts ?
Gold-diggers, con men, would-be startup company founders, the Tax Man, aggressive bribe-soliciting bureaucrats, previously-unknown distant cousins are all going to come out of the woodwork if they smell the money on this Aristocrat.
But perhaps (as a defensive reaction) the money is really in a bank account a few systems away.
This might be a good way to handwave unwanted drudgery like keeping fresh victuals on the ship: it is paid for using the "allowance".

Review 76 Patrons for more inspiration.
And the follies / foibles of IRL The Rich And Famous.
Old September 12th, 2019, 03:59 AM
Citizen: SOC-10

Gallery : 21
Winged Cat Citizen

I have been in a campaign where someone else rolled up a Dilettante. Their traveller was basically shanghaied by their old college roommate (my traveller) into adventures, money notwithstanding.

They went along to humor their friend, and because they had been sufficiently bored with life they spent most of the past 4 terms livestreaming from a ship going near-c the old fashioned, relativistic way (the narrative explanation for how they only experienced 3 terms in the time my traveller experienced 6 - the novelty of making a time-dilated livestream was the point of doing this, for the dilettante).
Old September 12th, 2019, 09:18 AM

CaptRet Citizen

This character was a Chevalier - an Aristocrat subclass that acts as champion for a higher aristocrat (e.g. as substitute in duels, on missions, etc.). Besides being fairly competent with blade and reasonably so with gun (went on safari one term), she racked up some decent soft skills (and a diletantte's interest in archeology, as well as some contacts among the nobility). I think having her as the cousin of the former Naval Captain (himself a lesser aristocrat, but not really rich), and having them share equal ownership (25% each) of their deceased grandaunt's safari ship (really great grandaunt - anagathics, don't you know) could be interesting. The former Capt (more an example of the service nobility, e.g. Prussian junkers and British Navy officers) would have one type of goal (missions for allies in the Navy and bureaucracy), while his younger cousin would ostensibly be looking for adventure and dabbling in archeology (while actually having once worked as an informant for a planetary ruler). Most of the small crew would be connected to his naval service, with her having perhaps one retainer (was toying with idea of a Vargr).