Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Random Static > Non-Traveller Gaming

Non-Traveller Gaming A forum specifically for discussing those other games we like to play.

Old September 9th, 2019, 09:51 PM
Super Moderator

Gallery : 5
Visit Spinward Scout's Blog
Spinward Scout has disabled reputation
Default Space or Sci-Fi Video Games

For a while I played No Man's Sky after one of the good updates. I had fun with it, but I made the mistake of starting out in Creative mode and it got boring and a bit repetitive about 50 hours in. Another guy on Reddit said the same. If you're going to try it, go for Normal mode.

Has anyone tried Star Control Origins? It looks interesting.

Or how about Space Engineers? Which looks almost like a knock-off of No Man's Sky.

Anybody playing any good Space or Sci-Fi Video Games lately?
Old September 10th, 2019, 01:48 AM
Knight

Gallery : 0
Xerxeskingofking Citizen+Xerxeskingofking Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinward Scout View Post
For a while I played No Man's Sky after one of the good updates. I had fun with it, but I made the mistake of starting out in Creative mode and it got boring and a bit repetitive about 50 hours in. Another guy on Reddit said the same. If you're going to try it, go for Normal mode.

Has anyone tried Star Control Origins? It looks interesting.

Or how about Space Engineers? Which looks almost like a knock-off of No Man's Sky.

Anybody playing any good Space or Sci-Fi Video Games lately?
not played No Mans Sky, but form what I've seen of it Space Engineers is a very different game (its also been around longer, as its been around on Steam Early Access since about 2013). its much more focused on the mine-refine-build sort of gameplay, and prides itself of a realistic physics engine. A lot of the fun is had in designing and building custom ships form the keel up, block by block, or repairing them when they get broke.

for other decent sci fi games, its really a question of what your intrested in, specifically.
O it's " Thin red line of 'eroes, " when the drums begin to roll.

"Tommy", Rudyard Kipling
Old September 10th, 2019, 02:12 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Visit timerover51's Blog
timerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizen

I play Ogame online a bit, but generally avoid the highly combative galaxies. Even in the theoretically "economic" galaxies, you still have some chaotic evil types who like to pound on a lot weaker players for fun. I stay on vacation a lot, and sort of sneak on and off to avoid the mad men.
Do you have a security clearance? Sept. 15 Blog Post http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

They that go down to the sea in ships,
that do business in great waters;
These see the works of the LORD,
and his wonders in the deep.
Old September 10th, 2019, 08:48 AM
Knight

Visit Blue Ghost's Blog
Blue Ghost has disabled reputation

Every now and then I'll reinstall the original Half Life, and some addon maps. A couple of games a clan member introduced me to were Allegiance (space fighter "sim") and the Homeworld series (HW, HW2, and Deserts of Karak or something).

Turns out Quake 2 won't run on NVIDIA based cards without some third party software, so I stay away from it unless I run it on another rig.

When I first built my newer faster machine with an 8gig video card that was VR ready, I tried an Aussie game called "Subnautica", but the thing wouldn't run.

HL2 is okay. Better graphics, but cliché stuff I the story department. That, and where HL has more primitive graphics, it was actually meant for all gamers, whereas HL2 feels like it's aimed strictly at pre-teens and teenagers.

Way back in the 90s roommate and friends used to play Super Baseball 2020, and a few others … Fun times.
Old September 10th, 2019, 05:49 PM
Baron

Visit Kilgs's Blog
Kilgs Citizen++Kilgs Citizen++Kilgs Citizen++Kilgs Citizen++

One game which I've gone back to several times is Rebel Galaxy. Fun combat, easy controls, lots of trading and tons of neat ships to mess around with. Reminds me of EVE but far more fast-paced.

Space Engineers was kinda cool but I couldn't figure out how to build 2nd tier stuff. There was just too much going on. I really enjoyed the beginning of the game though.

Mass Effect Andromeda was disappointing.

Honestly, there just hasn't been a good space game in awhile. Is the open-ended space game concept just not attractive outside of a small niche? I always think that with all the changes to games it would be such a winning concept... tons of DL sale possibilties (new planets, galaxies etc). I don't know.

Last edited by Kilgs; September 10th, 2019 at 05:49 PM.. Reason: EDIT: Just realized there's a new version of RBG coming out! Outlaw!
Old September 11th, 2019, 06:26 AM
Knight

rebel galaxy, is that the one with the country rock soundtrack? that was alright.

Homeworld is one of my favourite series, and a great example of how to tell a story and a setting with minimal text and speech, by the stunning visuals and choreography. One of the best space RTS games, in my opinion. Hard as nails, though, I never do very well on it. its on steam and GOG at the moment, so check it out.

If your intrested in the space fighter sim genre, then I would also recommend the Freespace games (descent: Freespace and Freespace 2). the latter is easily the best space fighter game I have played, better even than TIE fighter, and its graphics have aged really well, too. its on GOG.

Since you asked about Star Control Origins, I haven't played that one, but reviews seem to be generally ok (a lot of complaints is not as good as Star control 1+2, but I think thiers a real dose of rose tinted glasses in effect their and impossible expectations). if you want a "grand strategy" game I can recommend form personnel experience, id say either Galactic Civilisations III, or Stellaris. both are very good, with GC3 being a more traditional 4x/civ type RTS game and stellaris being a real-time pauseable game. both feature extenisive player and unit customisation to let you tailor your race to your liking. Stellaris aims for a much more epic, "Old school sci-fi" feel, much more "foundation series" than the "star wars/star trek" feel that GC gives off.

"Tommy", Rudyard Kipling
Old September 11th, 2019, 11:55 AM

whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxeskingofking View Post
Homeworld is one of my favourite series, and a great example of how to tell a story and a setting with minimal text and speech, by the stunning visuals and choreography. One of the best space RTS games, in my opinion. Hard as nails, though, I never do very well on it. its on steam and GOG at the moment, so check it out.
I really liked Homeworld. The ship designs alone were compelling, but the whole in space experience was simply breathtaking.

Unfortunately, I think it was the sequel. I ran in to a bug, or something, and was never able to finish it.

And, if not already mentioned, Masters of Orion 2 (MOO2) is the pinnacle of the 4X genre. Love that game. That's a "WHAT!? It's 3AM AGAIN!" game.
Old September 11th, 2019, 04:27 PM

Nathan Brazil Citizen+Nathan Brazil Citizen+

Grew up on hex & chit wargames and my first computer game was the Gold Box D&D games. Along with louzy hand-eye coordination due to complications from my diabetes, I prefer turn based games over real time. A turn-based 4x space game. Otherwise, Ill keep playing Master of Orion 2. I even play 3 whe Im in a mood.
Old September 12th, 2019, 06:59 AM
Knight

Visit Blue Ghost's Blog
Blue Ghost has disabled reputation

The early Star Wars' games seemed to be general audience oriented. I've always liked Star Wars' Rebellion, though the battle graphics and overall graphics are a bit dated now. Even so it's still a pretty good strategic game.

Dark Forces, Dark Forces 2 Jedi Knight, Mysteries of the Sith, are all interesting games, though the original DOOM knock off is kind of long in the tooth. JK and MOTS, regrettably, will not run on NVIDIA cards, but back in the day these games, and Quake 2, were the shooters choice on the old Microsoft Internet Gaming Zone. I was okay at Quake 2, but was one of the top five players for JK and MOTS, and routinely made #1. The game runs fine with the software mode, but looks very wonky and dated. Ergo the only way to really get it to run properly is to use an older rig.

Newer Star Wars' games are strictly kiddy fare. I tried "Empires at War", but was really turned off by it. The Star Wars games and movies have always leaned towards a younger audience, but the older games had an older audience in mind, and are still playable if you can get them to run.

I've never been a huge fan of Quake 2, but both ID and some third parties created some addon missions which gave the game new life. Again, if you can get it to run (your best bet is using an AMD video card … or older ATI or Matrox card) then it provides some creepy shooter fun.

The original DOOMs were kind of novel, but the newest version is just to gory for me; i.e. reaching into someone's body and pulling out their innards. Yuck.

I've played others, but I can't remember them all.
Old September 12th, 2019, 07:56 AM
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ghost View Post
The early Star Wars' games seemed to be general audience oriented. I've always liked Star Wars' Rebellion, though the battle graphics and overall graphics are a bit dated now. Even so it's still a pretty good strategic game.

Dark Forces, Dark Forces 2 Jedi Knight, Mysteries of the Sith, are all interesting games, though the original DOOM knock off is kind of long in the tooth. JK and MOTS, regrettably, will not run on NVIDIA cards, but back in the day these games, and Quake 2, were the shooters choice on the old Microsoft Internet Gaming Zone. I was okay at Quake 2, but was one of the top five players for JK and MOTS, and routinely made #1. The game runs fine with the software mode, but looks very wonky and dated. Ergo the only way to really get it to run properly is to use an older rig.

Newer Star Wars' games are strictly kiddy fare. I tried "Empires at War", but was really turned off by it. The Star Wars games and movies have always leaned towards a younger audience, but the older games had an older audience in mind, and are still playable if you can get them to run.

I've never been a huge fan of Quake 2, but both ID and some third parties created some addon missions which gave the game new life. Again, if you can get it to run (your best bet is using an AMD video card … or older ATI or Matrox card) then it provides some creepy shooter fun.

The original DOOMs were kind of novel, but the newest version is just to gory for me; i.e. reaching into someone's body and pulling out their innards. Yuck.

I've played others, but I can't remember them all.
Empires at war, I found, was a ok game. 3.6 roentgens, not great, not terrible. the space warfare was enjoyable, but the ground combat was often dire, and rarely fun, I usually skipped the ground war and let the AI auto fight it out.

the Battlefront series is just the Battlefield games given a star wars reskin. the old battlefront 2 was passible, but the two more recent battlefront games were both fairly forgettable. They suffered form all the blasters having a lack of "Weight" and feeling weak, and a poor distinction between the different guns (they all felt fairly similar to use)

for star trek games, the only one i'd bother recommending is Starfleet Command, which basically took the old Starfleet Battles table-top wargame and ported it onto PC. It was pretty fun, spent load of time on that back in the day. you have to play with the files a little to get it working these days though, but its just a few lines of code in a text file (oh, the ease of modding in the old days!)

"Tommy", Rudyard Kipling