Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > In the OTU

In the OTU In the Official Traveller Universe. Any milieux that's been published in any edition. Not for discussion of rules except in reference to how they reflect the OTU

Old August 27th, 2019, 11:59 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 3
GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++

Quote:
Originally Posted by whulorigan View Post
Add to that list Zuan Kerr from TD #15.

So our possibilities are:
  1. House Zhunastu - (Zhunastu Industries)
  2. House Kerr - (?)
  3. House Lentuli - (?)
  4. House Ling - (Ling Standard Products)
  5. House Tukera - (Tukera Lines)
  6. House Shiishuginsa - (Zirunkariish)
  7. House (?) - (GSbAG)
  8. House (?) - (Baldang Arms)
  9. House (?) - (InStarSpec)
  10. House (Stern ?) - (Sternmetal)
That list should be trimmed by one, as M:0 Campaign p.60 says "the original nine great houses which signed the charter (including the head of the Zhunastu house, Emperor Cleon)". It isn't nine plus Zhunastu.

Looking at the tale of Zuan Kerr, he appears to be too young.

More digging leads me to retract my objections to GSbAG, but I still don't like the idea of linking them to House Lentuli.

"Alright. Where did that Beaker get a cred stick?"
(Website down until further notice)
Old August 28th, 2019, 06:03 AM
Count

Gallery : 0
Visit whulorigan's Blog
whulorigan Citizen++whulorigan Citizen++whulorigan Citizen++whulorigan Citizen++whulorigan Citizen++

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyComet View Post
That list should be trimmed by one, as M:0 Campaign p.60 says "the original nine great houses which signed the charter (including the head of the Zhunastu house, Emperor Cleon)". It isn't nine plus Zhunastu.
Understood. But my list is one of possible candidates for the nine. So choose 9 from the 10 (or possibly more) that are listed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyComet View Post
Looking at the tale of Zuan Kerr, he appears to be too young.
Yes, but the question is: Does he come from a House that is a signatory; Zuan does not have to necessarily be the leader of the House, perhaps just a member with connections (perhaps the heir presumptive ?).

WHULorigan (Wayne)

Lord Richard Elruinn Ilendrick Rhovanion of Rhylanor
Count RhovanionSPIN 2716 Rhylanor A434934-FSir Richard, Knight (Kt)SPIN 2716 Rhylanor A434934-F
MarquisSPIN 0433 Jone B792785-9Sir Richard Elruinn, Knight (Kt)FORN 0727 Dirli C994422-8
Baronet of Jae TellonaSPIN 2814 Jae Tellona A560565-8Knight of Deneb (KD)SPIN 2814 Jae Tellona A560565-8
Baron of the Third ImperiumSPIN 3220 Powaza C787566-5Knight of the Third Imperium (KTI)SPIN 3235 Trin A894A96-F
Knight of the Iridium Throne (KIT)CORE 2419 Sevan A544576-A
Richard Elruinn Rhovanion (TAS Member #0008)SPIN 2716 Rhylanor A434934-F

Other Awards
:
Duke of the Third ImperiumREAV 3209 Kylian BA57742-A
Duke of KhouthCORR 0104 Khouth A8C3999-D
Viscount of AlellSPIN 1706 Alell B56789CA
Baron of ImlaarDENE 2212 Imlaar D677551-6SEH - For Extreme Heroism @ The Battle of Ruby
Baroness of NorthammonDENE 0921 Northammon B764667-AMCGx2 - For Conspicuous Gallantry @ The Assaults on Dinomn & Denotam

Link: Traveller5 Noble Patents Registry
Old August 28th, 2019, 12:00 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Maksim-Smelchak Citizen

Hi Guys,

An interesting read to follow...
  1. House Lentuli - (?)
  2. House Ling - (Ling Standard Products)
  3. House Shiishuginsa - (Zirunkariish)
  4. House Stern ?) - (Sternmetal)
  5. House Tukera - (Tukera Lines)
  6. House Zhunastu - (Zhunastu Industries)
  7. House (?) - (Baldang Arms)
  8. House (?) - (GSbAG)
  9. House (?) - (InStarSpec)

As an aside, it appears from a mix of fanfic and canon, that the guy who started LSP was actually named Meyers...

http://wiki.travellerrpg.com/Ling-Standard_Products

*** And what is the business associated with the Lentuli's? ***

Shalom,
Maksim-Smelchak.
Old August 28th, 2019, 12:51 PM

GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim-Smelchak View Post
what is the business associated with the Lentuli's?
Given that they would become the dynasty that started most of the wars to expand the Imperium, the natural assumption is that the Family was part of the Sylean military industrial complex. The problem with that is that GSbAG was already a big Naval contractor, and there is at least one other arms manufacturer on the megacorporation list.

My guess is infrastructure such as starports.

Old August 28th, 2019, 06:42 PM

vegas Citizen

So I don't think there is a canonical answer to either 1) what company the Lentuli's owned (if any) nor 2) whom GSbAG was owned by, but I'll give my rationale for why I put them together.

We know that:

* House Lentuli is closely associated with House Zhunastu -
Artemsus Lentuli is one Cleon I's "most senior advisors", and is Cleon II's chancellor and successor.
Djugashvili Lentuli is "Cleon's troubleshooter" with a full Imperial Warrant, and "effectively chief of intelligence and internal security".

* GSbAG is closely associated with House Zhunastu (despite being a competitor) -
It is one of only 2 companies that mfg ships for the Imperial family.
It is 29% owned by the Imperial family.

* House Lentuli is independently powerful -
After losing the crown in 244 when Martin II dies without issue, another Lentuli (Porfiria) restarts the dynasty in 245 rather than another noble taking control - that takes serious political pull.

I put all these facts together and say GSbAG is the source of Lentuli wealth and power. Lentulis would not have held onto the thrown, let alone regained it after losing it, if they were merely Cleon's advisors. And it is hard to see an Emperor not coming from one of the Big5 megacorps. The ties between both to Cleon seal it for me.

Last edited by vegas; August 28th, 2019 at 11:44 PM..
Old August 28th, 2019, 09:09 PM

vegas Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim-Smelchak View Post
As an aside, it appears from a mix of fanfic and canon, that the guy who started LSP was actually named Meyers...
My money is on all just fanon with no canon in that mix. That can be safely ignored.
Old August 29th, 2019, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegas View Post
My money is on all just fanon with no canon in that mix. That can be safely ignored.
The only fan source listed in the Wiki article leads me to agree.

That said, there was an "LSP.MEYERS" on GEnie back in the day. Context in my own archives suggests that it was GDW Editor John C. Meyers. Sounds like a tale to tell...

Last edited by GypsyComet; August 29th, 2019 at 03:52 AM..
Old September 9th, 2019, 12:43 PM

vegas Citizen

OK, doesn't seem like any more ideas/inputs are forthcoming, so I will put a stake in the ground with my personal conjecture/IMTU version and add a few alternatives.

canonical:

1 House Zhunastu - (Zhunastu Industries)

more confident conjecture:

2 House Lentuli - (GSbAG?)
3 House Ling - (Ling Standard Products)
4 House Shiishuginsa - (Zirunkariish)
5 House Tukera - (Tukera Lines)

more speculative conjecture:

6 House of Baldang Arms
7 House of InStarSpec
8 House of Sternmetal
9 House of Pharmocologique Fabrique

Obviously, don't have family names for the last 4, just the source of wealth/power identified. That is fine by me: make 'em up for YTU. #9 is the biggest reach on the list, as 6-8 are all M0 megacorps while Pharm. Fabrique is identified as a "smaller corporation" that is a "likely megacorps of the next hundred years."

I still give P.F. the last seat on the Arela Committee because of the 18 "smaller" companies listed in M0, only P.F. and Hortalez et Cie are identified as "based in Sylea", and Hortalez canonically is not founded until the third century so can't have been the source of wealth of one of the great houses. In addition, P.F. is "the primary pharmecutical manufacturer in the Imperium", a major industry that is otherwise not represented by the other 8 presumed members of the Arlea Committee. So even if not of "megacorp" status at M0, they must have been large and therefore powerful.

other possibilities in (my subjective) order of likelihood:

* House Aella - a pre-3I house with powerful connections. Could be one of the owners of an identified corporation.
* House of Standard General - LSP was formed "recently" in M0 by merging Ling & Standard General; ergo, there is another set of founders.
* House Kerr - political rival to Lentuli in the Moot.
* House Shigaka (or Shigaku) - an important advisor to Cleon. Don't know anything else about them though.
* House Tauribis - Archdukes of Vland. I see this as unlikely though as they seem more Vland- than Sylea-based

Any other possibilities, grognards?

Edited to add Shigaka to the other possibilities list.

Last edited by vegas; September 9th, 2019 at 05:55 PM..
Old September 11th, 2019, 01:08 AM

I'm generally in agreement with 1-5.

With Shiishuginsa on the list, another Vilani family seems unlikely, but I'm not against including Tauribis, if only because it doesn't immediately register as a Vilani name.

Shigaka could be Vilani or Japanese, and the name already has a place in events. As such I'm leaning toward including it.

No obviously Sylean names so far. I'll throw a few out (courtesy of Rob's generator), since we're in whole cloth territory at this point.

Khinmea
Keloka
Maakasben
Sanaamos
Daxanea
Sahzenua

Old Yesterday, 04:30 PM
Citizen: SOC-5

Madmax Citizen
Default Slightly Off Topic

I'm confused.
Are Syleans a Human Minor Race, like Darrians, or are they just residents of the planet Sylea, with mixed Vilani/Solomani ancestry, like most Imperial Humaniti?
I ask because, if they are a minor human race, then I would expect most of the 9 families would have Sylean names.