Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Mongoose Traveller

Mongoose Traveller Discussion forums for the Traveller rules from Mongoose Publishing.

Old August 17th, 2007, 08:05 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
Echo has disabled reputation
Default How many career templates should be in the core rules?

Well, I'm getting ost on the sticky thread, so I thought I'd start asking some more questions/raise discussion points about the game itself in some new threads.

This one is: how many career templates should there be. The different editions have always varied the numbers from too low (Classic Traveller) or too high (TNE). The original miltary careers (Army, Navy, Scout, Marine) really need to be there, but the question is how many non-miltary careers should there be? My feeling is that they were nearly right in T4, but it missed out on a couple of careers that I thought were important - Medical and Engineers. I guess then, my choice would be:

Army
Navy
Scout
Marine

Noble (politician)
Merchant (business, corporate)
Scholar (any academic)
Medic (Doctors, nurses and chemists)
Engineer

Agent (any law enforcement, legal, or journalistic profession)
Rogue (any non-legal profession)
Entertainer

Any others?
Old August 17th, 2007, 09:08 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 1
Golan2072 Citizen+Golan2072 Citizen+

I think that 12 careers would fill most useful roles:

Marines
Army (including planetary surface/air personnel as well)
Navy
Scouts (including hunters as well)
Merchants
Belters
Rogues
Nobles
Scientists (including doctors and engineers as well)
Barbarians
Citizens (including workers, bureaucrats and so on)
Pirates (AAARR! YE MATEY!)

Stellagama Publishing - Visit our Blog, Den of the Lizard King
Old August 17th, 2007, 10:38 AM

Gallery : 43
Visit atpollard's Blog
atpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesome

At the risk of being stoned for heresy, why are Army and Marines two distinct Careers? Book 4 managed to treat them as basically the same.
Old August 17th, 2007, 10:56 AM
The Adminator

Gallery : 41
Andrew Boulton Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by atpollard View Post
At the risk of being stoned for heresy, why are Army and Marines two distinct Careers? Book 4 managed to treat them as basically the same.
No, they've always been treated differently. Marines need some space-based skills that the GROPOs don't, for example.
Old August 17th, 2007, 11:01 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

Rover Citizen

While the individual Marine or soldier may have similar training and skills, the services have different roles.

Marines are the fighting branch of the navy and are ship based, are considered a smaller-lighter, more mobile fighting force. They are self contained and will provide their own air support. Army is land based and carries heavier equipment and relies on other services for transport and support.

The Maries are sent in first, the point of the spear, and hold things till the Army arrives in far greater numbers.

In Traveller a Marine is the navel fighting force and will do boarding parties and ship board security. The Army will land on a planet and conquer and occupy.

When I die I'm going to donate my body to Science Fiction
Old August 17th, 2007, 11:32 AM

Gallery : 5
Tobias Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Boulton View Post
No, they've always been treated differently. Marines need some space-based skills that the GROPOs don't, for example.
That's true, but what he meant was that in Book 4, Marines were basically rolled into Army chargen as a subset.
Since I am in favor of splitting some of the careers into sub-careers, this should be done in RTT as well. (For example, the Mercenary careers could be split along the lines of the combat arms a la Book4, but each combat arm would be formatted as a separate basic career with shared ranks and the possibility of transfer.)
To answer the question: I would like a large range of careers in RTT. 18, like in MT, seems like a good number. On a related note, the presentation of information in MT is also good.
An additional thing to look at is the consolidated CT chargen that CotI's own Golan2072 has made.
I would especially like a good selection of pre-career options (college etc.) to be available.
Old August 17th, 2007, 12:03 PM

Gallery : 2
Valarian Citizen
Send a message via AIM to Valarian Send a message via MSN to Valarian

How ever many Mongoose feel they should include in the core rulebook.
Old August 17th, 2007, 12:47 PM
Absent Friends Margrave

Visit pendragonman's Blog
pendragonman Citizen+pendragonman Citizen+pendragonman Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by atpollard View Post
LET THE STONING COMMENCE! Oh, wait, we burn heretics, don't we?

WHERE IS MY FLAMETHROWER! WHERE IS MY PGMP-14? BURN! BURN! BURN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover View Post
In Traveller a Marine is the navel fighting force and will do boarding parties and ship board security. The Army will land on a planet and conquer and occupy.

We have Marines in our belly buttons? And they can do boarding combat?

While I understand the desire to try to put Marine chargen under Army rules ala book 4, the Marines do need to be separate. After all, if we follow your example, anyone who flies a spacecraft is just a subset of either naval or merchant careers, so you only need one or the other and not scouts, navy, and merchants as separate chergen choices but as a sub career of "spacer".

Would you think that was a bad way to go? I know I would.

3 times elevated Knight of the Iridium Throne, Marquis Djar, Marquis of the Solomani Rim (Fafhrd), Count Uakye, and Count Jana. Duke Ninua of the Imperial Core.

Last edited by pendragonman; August 17th, 2007 at 12:54 PM..
Old August 17th, 2007, 01:32 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Echo has disabled reputation

OK. Belters, Barbarians and Pirates.

Would you not think that Belters are pretty much the same thing as Scouts, in terms of training?

Are Pirates not a type of Rogue?

Are 'Barbarians' a career at all? Who's going to train them skills?

I can see Engineers and Medics being included with Scientists - but neither of them actually are scientists, technically speaking.

Moreover, I see the ship's engineer and ship's medic as pretty useful professions to have on board a space craft. The 'Scholar' career, that I suggested before, would also incorporate things like historians, clergy and philosophers as well as theoretical scientists. I sense, the 'field science' career is, again, covered by Scouts.

Having a general 'Workers' career might be useful as well, though I'm not sure many would want to play it. .
Old August 17th, 2007, 01:37 PM

Gallery : 5
Tobias Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo View Post
OK. Belters, Barbarians and Pirates.

Would you not think that Belters are pretty much the same thing as Scouts, in terms of training?
Maybe, maybe not. But I think a career should not just be a mechanic to assign skills to characters, but also provide some backstory. It evokes a much
more vivid image if you say "I was a Belter" than if you say "I was an exploratory spacefarer".

Quote:
Are Pirates not a type of Rogue?
Wouldn't say so... no more than Navy is a type of Army.

Quote:
Are 'Barbarians' a career at all? Who's going to train them skills?
Their tribesmen, I guess.

A general "Worker" or "Citizen" career would be nice, even if only to create NPCs. Similar to the "Prole" career in AM4.