Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > The Lone Star

The Lone Star Meet, greet and socialize with your fellow Travellers in the Lone Star Lounge. Random Topics.

Old January 3rd, 2016, 01:42 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
Murphy Citizen+Murphy Citizen+
Default Large adventuring ship

Is it viable, by any stretch, for a group of adventurers to turn enough profit to maintain a large (1800-ton) ship?

Merchants? Their profit might be higher, but it's not as easy to find enough cargo, plus my players never seem to get into that sort of thing. Pure commerce is boring.

Mercenaries? Starship-based mercs do exist, but are ridiculously expensive for a reason and I doubt they'd find much employ in our Trojan Reach. In short, improbable and unprofitable.

Pirates? The ship could be their most recent prize... but I don't want them to start as a band of cutthroats. Will steer them to restart my stalled Drinax campaign, but that's for later.

Noble and his retinue? This might do... the ship is then maintained at net loss, but serves as the noble's superyacht along with 50 loyal retainers. And he jumps around in what amounts to a small destroyer, adventuring on a slightly bigger scale than most Travellers. Trade, secure deliveries, luxury passengers, combat jobs, prospecting and mining, archaeology, medical or technical charity on backwater worlds, etc.

Would that work? Any other ideas?

Welcome!
To see more of this thread, please login or register.