Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Play By Post > Space Badger's Reaver's Deep

Space Badger's Reaver's Deep SpaceBadger's SBRD game

Closed Thread

Old September 11th, 2013, 11:49 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 5
Visit sabredog's Blog
sabredog Citizen+sabredog Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by atpollard View Post
Any advantage in having the small craft (Launch?) fly high cover?
Eyes in the sky sort of thing?

Is it armed?
If not, what about an open door to act as a sniper platform?
We have the whole dorsal surface of the ship to use for a platform, though you would be without any top cover if anyone showed up with aircraft. Like air/rafts and some heavy lift vehicle.

But, there is the launch dock and port side bridge deck lock.

tc++ ru ge+ !3i c+@ jt au ls pi+ he+
Old September 11th, 2013, 11:51 AM

Visit sabredog's Blog

Quote:
One thought that occurs to me (in case we end up on the other side of needing to get from Jump to surface fast): How fast is a launch or ship's boat?

Could a ship zip a high priority passenger from 100 diameters to surface at 6G on a small craft while the ship lumbers in at 2G (or 3G in our case)?
The launch is only 1G, so it would be doing the lumbering in a way.

Old September 11th, 2013, 12:18 PM

Visit sabredog's Blog

Quote:
Another thought that occurs to me is how does someone actually steal this stuff? I mean, we just had a long discussion about needing special equipment and procedures to load these small, but ultra heavy containers into a RORO starship. Four guys are not going to drive up and throw a 20 ton brick into a pickup and drive off. So how could someone steal it?

Beyond that, this is a goldmine. They ALWAYS have precious cargo here and they live with the threat (and probably reality) of attempts to 'rob Fort Knox' all of the time ... when they mine, when they store it, when they load it for transport, when it is being transported. They probably have some experience that might be worth listening to for advice.

It seems to me that hijacking a starship full of 'treasure' is probably the low hanging fruit for any criminal endeavor. We need to focus on CCC for the ship. That sbyeems the best way to steal a fortune in 20 ton bricks and run off with it.

Just some thoughts.

Hampton saw this really old movie once, called Goldfinger......the bad guys used gas to clear the way into Fort Knox...a nuke was going to destroy it but Goldfinger didn't have a ship with a gassed crew waiting in place to take it with either. Just thinkin' outside the box in case the bad guys do.

Old September 11th, 2013, 02:44 PM

Gallery : 15
samuelvss Citizen

Quote:
It seems to me that hijacking a starship full of 'treasure' is probably the low hanging fruit for any criminal endeavor. We need to focus on CCC for the ship. That seems the best way to steal a fortune in 20 ton bricks and run off with it. Just some thoughts.
I think you answered you own question well, but hijacking on the ground seems much less resource-intensive; I wait until folks have just about 95% loaded the ship, and take the ship. I just need to secure the ship long enough to take off and deal with anyone aboard. Heavily armed/armored merc section (14-26 shooters) with some element of surprise and good mobility would do it. A stout squad (9-13) with a lot going for it could swing it if they were really good and really lucky. Some of the shooters may be cross-trained, but you'd need a ship crew, of course. as well. It would take military hardware and training, plus good inside information; milllions can buy that for you.

Jumping them once they have lifted would take another ship or few, and would be a lot more involved, especially since they will have the gazelle with them.

SVSS

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Leave the gun; take the cannoli."
Old September 11th, 2013, 02:55 PM

Gallery : 1
Visit Fritz_Brown's Blog
Fritz_Brown has disabled reputation

Quote:
Any advantage in having the small craft (Launch?) fly high cover?
Eyes in the sky sort of thing?
That was my thought. Link it to the ship's sensors. Route that to me, I guess, if I'm not going to be on the bridge.

Quote:
It seems to me that hijacking a starship full of 'treasure' is probably the low hanging fruit for any criminal endeavor. We need to focus on CCC for the ship. That seems the best way to steal a fortune in 20 ton bricks and run off with it.
"CCC"?

And, if you mean by "hijack" to take us over with one of the folks Mr V is bringing along, that will be moderately difficult. However, if you mean by that "shoot the crew and the mine people once everything is loaded and steal the whole kit and kaboodle" then, yes, I would be concerned with that. But, yes, unless there's the probability of an army coming over the hill, we're probably pretty well prepared. (Remember, Mr V only owns 75% of the mine; the other 25% interests might want to no longer be a minority shareholder.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
The launch is only 1G, so it would be doing the lumbering in a way.
That's our launch. What capability does the Krovitz have?
Old September 11th, 2013, 03:00 PM

Visit Fritz_Brown's Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuelvss View Post
Jumping them once they have lifted would take another ship or few, and would be a lot more involved, especially since they will have the gazelle with them.
Disagree on only one point - if it's an inside job (by a passenger), the Gazelle is moot. You just wait until right before jump, take over the ship, put in a new jump course, and *poof*. The Gazelle comes out at the far end, all alone and very sad because he will be in a lot of trouble.
Old September 11th, 2013, 03:03 PM

Visit Fritz_Brown's Blog

Hmmmm..... just as a thought.... What if the hijacker jumped the ship in somewhere, opened the bay doors and pushed the containers out into the orbit of some small rock somewhere... programmed the ship to fly into the sun... then escaped with the launch to some rendezvous? This stuff would be much easier to handle in 0-g..........
Old September 11th, 2013, 03:18 PM

Gallery : 15
samuelvss Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz_Brown View Post
Disagree on only one point - if it's an inside job (by a passenger), the Gazelle is moot.
Right! This is why I never ran passengers and spec cargo at once. The chump change that you get from running passengers is poor solace for losing the whole shebang. It would be Henry's position that they not book any outside what the deal already allows.

SVSS

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Leave the gun; take the cannoli."
Old September 11th, 2013, 03:25 PM

Visit Fritz_Brown's Blog

As to loading cargo, I might suggest you move the 66dT of current stuff out along the sides of the bay, and load the metals from centerline out, and from midline forward and back, stacking them 2-high and 4-across. Basically, 3m deep along each side for current cargo, then 6m across the middle, with 1.5m corridors between current cargo and metals on each side, and cross corridors about every 6m or so.

Now your mass is spread pretty evenly, but near the centerline (in case we have to factor mass into an equation somewhere down the road). And, it's ready to unload when we get to Nexus.
Old September 11th, 2013, 03:44 PM

Visit sabredog's Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz_Brown View Post

That's our launch. What capability does the Krovitz have?
A2's only have an air/raft for a vehicle unless they stuffed something else in the hold.

Closed Thread