Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Administration > Citizens' Information Centre

Citizens' Information Centre COTI news, feedback, and problem reports

Closed Thread

Old September 6th, 2013, 09:11 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 43
Visit atpollard's Blog
atpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesome
Default Expert opinions on COTI

This topic is to address an issue that came up elsewhere that potentially impacts other members of the board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis View Post

There are only a handful people on the board who may use the self-endorsing as expert, and then in limited areas:
  • Ancient (Marc Miller) on OTU, CT, MT, TNE, T4, T5, and 2300 canon
  • Mongoose Matt on MGT (he is the head of that company)
  • DonM on what is official CT/MT/TNE/T4 errata
  • Cryton and Me on board rules
  • Spica's account on what is canon for their ATUs.
  • GM's in the PBF games, but only in their game.
  • Colin Dunn on MGT2300 and 2320AD - he is the man doing those.
Any other form of "i'm an expert, you aren't" is going to be treated as trolling.

Any other "expertise" claimed is untestable and not authoritative, and is an action to the detriment of the boards;
it has no place in on-board arguments unless asked for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by atpollard View Post

Would resorting to professional opinion be a potential violation of rule 6?

I ask because there are many people on this board, including me, who have professional credentials in some field.
While I don't think that I have ever been called upon to issue a 'Professional Opinion' on an issue here, it would be good to know the board policy.
  • As a professional at something, I want to know if there is a line inappropriate to cross.
  • As a moderator, I want to know if there is a line that might trigger a warning.
This issue was discussed by the moderators and a clarification of intent was reached.
I am now sharing that clarification of intent with the entire COTI community:

"COTI is a place to discuss ideas, and everyone's ideas are welcome. Any claim of 'authority' is often unverifiable, so while it is perfectly acceptable to discuss your professional experience in support of your ideas, claims of expertise are unwelcome when they attempt to stifle or dismiss the ideas of others."

This helps the moderators, as a group, to know when and where to draw a line and issue a warning or infraction.
This also helps our many knowledgable users to know what is expected from them: to treat others with respect.

Thank you,
Arthur

Welcome!
To see more of this thread, please login or register.
Closed Thread