Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > Ship's Locker

Ship's Locker Submit your favorite original equipment and weapons for others to use in their own Traveller campaigns.

Old July 24th, 2006, 04:16 AM
Knight

Gallery : 0
Visit Blue Ghost's Blog
Blue Ghost has disabled reputation
Question

Okay.

This has been bugging me for over 20 years now.

When jumping into a system, in YTU, do you use custom's inspections? And if so is the ship in question (presumably the players' ship) given the once over before reaching orbit, in orbit, or after planetfall?

Do you, or have you ever, used customs? What did the authorities do with all the military and paramility hardware stashed behind the girlie mags in the ship's locker?
Old July 24th, 2006, 04:38 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Laryssa Citizen
Only on civilized planets.

What if the planet's populations falls within these ranges

Population
0 = 0 to 9
1 = 10 to 99
2 = 100 to 999
3 = 1000 to 9999
4 = 10,000 to 99,999
5 = 100,000 to 999,999
6 = 1,000,000 to 9,999,999
7 = 10,000,000 to 99,999,999
8 = 100,000,000 to 999,999,999
9 = 1,000,000,000 to 9,999,999,999
A = 10,000,000,000 to 99,999,999,999

Lets say you land on a planet with a population of 0, I imagine that with a population of 9, those nine people would have better things to do than inspect starships. Also what's to prevent that pesky starship from landing on the other side of the planet?

Also, at what population level does Customs begin to matter, or even government for that matter.

Suppose you landed on a planet with 100 people, and the government type was a dictatorship with a Law Level of C, so you land on the otherside of the planet from the settlement and Star port with 100 people, and you begin testing nuclear warheads that you brought along on your spaceship and nobody bothered to inspect. Bomb after bomb goes off, meanwhile the dictator rules his little settlement with an iron fist completely oblivious of what's going on.

Meanwhile on the other side of the planet, the crew of the Starship starts drawing unflattering pictures of the planet's dictator, and the captian of the ship then proclaims himself ruler of the whole planet and announces that the planet's dictator is a dumbass, and starts using his picture for target practice. The planet's dictator is completely unaware of what's happening on the far side of this planet. A planet is a big place, meanwhile the ship hasn't paid import taxes on the cargo its unloading.

Does the term planetary government have any meaning for a planet whose population is 100?

How about 1,000, could a planet with 1,000 people have a planetary government?

How about 10,000? or 100,000?

At what point do the player characters who land their ship on the planet's surface have to start paying attention to the planet's laws, government and customs?

Now if the PC don't like to pay starport fees, what if they just land their ship on some other part of the planet for free?
Old July 24th, 2006, 04:46 AM
Noble

Gallery : 12
Visit far-trader's Blog
far-trader Citizen
It depends [img]smile.gif[/img] All answers are IMTU of course...

Used to be if I rolled a Naval ship encounter then it was usually the IN boys to haul you to for an inspection for Imperial reasons. So that would be right out around the 100d mark. Inbound or out.

If not then a law level check upon clearance for landing or lifting meant a visit from the locals to insure you weren't breaking any local laws vis-a-vis import/export restrictions. Which more often than not was just an excuse to extort a kickback if you were leaving. If you were arriving the contraband would be held in a secure warehouse until you left, for a fee of course.

Never did hassles in orbit unless the ship strayed from its assigned vector.

For the most part as long as any contraband stays on the ship during your stay, and the ship stays within the Starport or its cleared vector between the port and 100d then the locals won't hassle you much barring the law level check.

For the IN, about all they care about is if you have really heavy stuff without cause, things like BattleDress and associated heavy energy weapons will spell trouble if you can't show the right license. A few ACRs and some light body armor? No big deal. Grenades? They might confiscate them as a hazard if it's a passenger ship and warn you that explosives are for the professionals. Nukes will get you slapped in a prison transport lowberth so fast you'll swear you saw them marching you into the chill brig from inside the casket.

I think we were usually more worried about them finding the girlie mags hidden behind all the guns

Original material in this post may be employed for personal non-profit use with the origin noted. Any other use is subject to permission from the author. Contact me through the private message feature of this board.

Fund Rare Bard Rants - Donate your unused rants today!

Musings of an old Trader... (my CotI Travellog) updated - May 3 2012
Old July 24th, 2006, 05:15 AM

Gallery : 1
Golan2072 Citizen+Golan2072 Citizen+
The Solar Triumvirate (IMTU, which ISN'T the OTU) doesn't have import or export tariffs between worlds (as those would hurt the megacorps, which are a very powerful political force in the Triumvirate), but does inspect ship from time to time for illegal cargoes (drugs, slaves, weapons, fissable material, bioweapons). Of those, any weapons are only illegal if they are in a large quantity - the Triumvirate realizes that ship crews have to defend themselves from piracy from time to time and thus allows two longarms, two handguns/SMGs and four melee weapons per commercial ship crewmember - and a Mercenary License or an Arms Dealer License could be aquired if you pass the right background checks.

Stellagama Publishing - Visit our Blog, Den of the Lizard King
Old July 24th, 2006, 05:39 AM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen
I liked the wording in first edition CT for patrol ship encounters:

Quote:
Patrols may be simple border pickets, or may be a form of pirate, extracting tolls or penalties.
So if you encounter a patrol ship it amy leave you alone after checking your transponder, it may board you to carry out a customs check, or it may do the latter but find deliberate faults that require on the spot fines...
Old July 24th, 2006, 06:01 AM
Pickles

Gallery :
I would also add that customs harassment and extortion is likely to be proportional to the influence of the visting ship's owners. Even an underpaid backwater dictatorship's customs officer is going to think twice about pressing too hard for a bribe fom a megacorp captain. A rag-tag bunch of adventurers in their 50-year old type A, now they're a different proposition ... [img]graemlins/file_23.gif[/img]
Old July 24th, 2006, 06:30 AM

Gallery : 7
Icosahedron Citizen
I tend to base customs on Starport rating rather than population - Port E or X, no hassle.
I use a patrol boat and harbour pilot principle: most ships will be expected, thanks to a filed flight plan; unexpected visitors are required by law (stiff penalties) to declare themselves and await the patrol beyond combat range of the planet. A suitably sized party of officers then performs a cursory (or not-so-cursory) search of the ship, puts any illegal weapons in the turrets/weapon bays and then seals off the weapons (stiff penalties for breaking seals). The harbour pilot then lands the ship, and a guard detail keeps an eye on the ship 'as a courtesy measure'.
If your 100 people are employees of a megacorp mining outpost with a D port they may well have a customs patrol, if they are barbarians on a Port X world your megalomania can revel.
Old July 24th, 2006, 09:14 AM
The Adminator

Gallery : 41
Andrew Boulton Citizen
Every so often I'll throw in an inspection, just to keep the party paranoid

Sometimes it's just an SDB making a visual flypast, occasionally they'll come aboard and check IDs etc.
Old July 24th, 2006, 11:08 AM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen
I use a lot of smallcraft in the customs inspection role, cutters and pinnaces being the usual since they are large enough to hold a decent sized boarding party, and enough weaponry to make a merchant ship think twice.

Borrowing from TNE and adding a weapons module to a modular cutter (fusion gun or particle accelerator being my favourite options) makes for quite an effective stop-and-search encounter.
Old July 25th, 2006, 04:07 AM

Liam Devlin Citizen
Never used anything bigger than a 400dton SDB, IMTU, but Like Sigg, the mainstay was the smaller fry 95-10dt spacecraft..usually with their big sister lurking nearby..

"To ye who pass us by, Go tell the Spartans, By Spartan Law, here we lie"</i>