Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > In My Traveller Universe

In My Traveller Universe Detail what parts of Traveller you do (or don't) use in your campaign.

Old June 27th, 2015, 10:06 AM
Citizen: SOC-7

Gallery : 0
Lord Blaine Citizen
Default Marriage Customs and Traditions

Inspired by a certain Supreme Court ruling, what unique marriage customs do certain planets have in your setting? It could be anything from a particular colour being associated with the ceremony, to a complex week-long ritual - in any case, it can be a great way to get the PCs into trouble.

For example, on one planet in my setting everyone at a wedding must be blindfolded until the lucky couple have said their vows and removed each other's blindfolds. On another planet, the traditional method of declaring an engagement is to tie feathers into your hair.
Old June 28th, 2015, 10:46 PM
Viscount

Quint Citizen+Quint Citizen+

I've had the range of historically recognizable versions of marriage - along with different commitment levels of marriage and various recognizing authorities.

I've also had a minor human race of females that reproduce via parthenogenesis that acted as very, very high class concubines that would potentially recognize their contracted patron as the incarnation of Deity (subtly announced by either third person pronouns "the Lord" for mere humans, and "my Lord" for recognized incarnation). They had a minor psionic thing that help provide a bit of genetic mixing so as to keep things healthy.

There's one culture that recognized the gift of a knife as marriage vow, or at the very least a engagement ring. I can't remember which.

I seem to recall a "planet of only men" but I can remember if they were a minor human race or if they were simply high-tech selectors using uterine replicators.

Taking the idea that being "Aslan" is a cultural identity rather than a racial one I had one very minor clan where the females were willing to marry anyone of the right beliefs as long as there was economic benefit in it. So the clan and associated families where an interested mish-mosh of races.

Those are the ones that stand out.

D.
Medal for Conspicuous Gallantry - The Pursuits at Menorb
IMTU aka "Traveller 2200" = tp++ tc+ mt+ mgt+ tne-- !3i he+
Old June 29th, 2015, 12:35 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 41
Patron Zero Citizen++Patron Zero Citizen++Patron Zero Citizen++Patron Zero Citizen++
Send a message via Yahoo to Patron Zero

The only bit I've had come up as a plot-device regarding marriage IMTU has concerned arranged marriages for reasons of preserving royal bloodlines or financial 'merger' of large trade houses.

One particular adventure concerned transporting a 'cloistered' princess to to be wed to a prince in-line for his world's throne, complication was she wasn't really a woman.

Said faux-daughter of an Emir was in reality his son, hidden in veils and dresses to prevent assassins out to disrupt-destroy said family's future heirs.
Old June 29th, 2015, 08:36 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Visit McPerth's Blog
McPerth has disabled reputation

From TD #15, page 28, about Glisten law profile:

Quote:
Divorce suits have been taken out of court entirely by the requirement that divorce arrangements be pre-arranged and included in the marriage contract. Marriage contracts must be updated twice annualy to include changes in financial or property status.

I'm not afraid about bullets, what scares me is the speed at which they're incoming.
Old June 29th, 2015, 02:07 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

simonh Citizen+simonh Citizen+

The classic wedding-in-space has to be 'Our Mrs Reynolds', easily my favourite Firefly episode.

Ghost marriages are interesting - a marriage in which one of the partners is deceased. In Germany during the last war girls who got pregnant but who's partner wa s soldier that died in the war could marry them posthumously, with the helmet standing in for the groom. How about a scenario in which you have to transport a helmet to a wedding?

Temporary Marriage - in which the marriage is legally valid for a limited period, often a year.

Simon Hibbs
Old June 29th, 2015, 02:11 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

simonh Citizen+simonh Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPerth View Post
From TD #15, page 28, about Glisten law profile:
Twice annualy? I hope they have long years in Glisten (I know it's an asteroid belt). In a setting where people routinely go on interstellar journeys lasting years at a time, and commonly move to planets with message round-trip times measured in months, that really doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Simon Hibbs
Old June 29th, 2015, 04:10 PM

Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++

Handfasting
. One year and one day duration
. Pregnancy may bring additional contractual obligations
. Offspring certainly will
Old August 4th, 2015, 01:17 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 311
The Pakkrat Citizen++The Pakkrat Citizen++The Pakkrat Citizen++The Pakkrat Citizen++

A bit far out there, but here goes:

A marriage on high-tech world where married couples temporarily trade mental personalities through cybernetics.

A marriage on a high-psionic world where the couple trades personalities or personality quirks ,"the ring", to walk in their mate's shoes.

A high-tech world that pre-tests couple compatibility through pseudo-presence AI computers 'marrying' first and proctor giving private results to applicants for a marriage license.

Your mileage may vary.

For Net-7 News, this is the Pakkrat.
Old August 4th, 2015, 09:11 PM
Citizen: SOC-10

Jason M Durkish Citizen

Marriage customs vary from religion to religion .
Old August 5th, 2015, 12:52 AM

BlackBat242 Citizen+BlackBat242 Citizen+BlackBat242 Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint View Post
I seem to recall a "planet of only men" but I can remember if they were a minor human race or if they were simply high-tech selectors using uterine replicators.

D.
Ethan of Athos, by Lois McMaster Bujold (1986).

Planet of only men, reproducing via lab combination of genes from two males, which is then placed in a uterine replicator.

http://vorkosigan.wikia.com/wiki/Ethan_of_Athos