Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > MegaTraveller

MegaTraveller Discuss of the MegaTraveller ruleset and the Rebellion Milieu

Old March 28th, 2005, 07:15 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 0
jcrocker Citizen+jcrocker Citizen+
GDW seems to like to run game universes into the ground - Twilight:2000 and MegaTraveller's 3rd Imperium as exhibits A & B.

I'm sure that if Dulinor had put his thinking cap on, he could have come up with a plan with a better chance of success, but apparantly the goal was to shake up the game universe in a very thorough manner and expose the 'centrifugal' nature of what the 3I had become - a collection of domains.

In other words, the end result was dictated, and "Dulinor's Plan" sounds good enough to cover most of the bases.

If I were planning a coup, I'd like to have more redundancies built in for random factors like, 'what happens if today of all days some member of the Guard accidentally discharges his SMG and finds it loaded with blanks?' and 'what about that idiot cousin, Lucan?'

On the other hand, if it was meant as an accurate reflection of the absolute best coup he could come up with, I don't think Dulinor would have made a very good leader - way too many variables that, as it turns out, screwed the whole plan.

GDW seems to like to run game universes into the ground - Twilight:2000 and MegaTraveller's 3rd Imperium as exhibits A & B.

I'm sure that if Dulinor had put his thinking cap on, he could have come up with a plan with a better chance of success, but apparantly the goal was to shake up the game universe in a very thorough manner and expose the 'centrifugal' nature of what the 3I had become - a collection of domains.

In other words, the end result was dictated, and "Dulinor's Plan" sounds good enough to cover most of the bases.

If I were planning a coup, I'd like to have more redundancies built in for random factors like, 'what happens if today of all days some member of the Guard accidentally discharges his SMG and finds it loaded with blanks?' and 'what about that idiot cousin, Lucan?'

On the other hand, if it was meant as an accurate reflection of the absolute best coup he could come up with, I don't think Dulinor would have made a very good leader - way too many variables that, as it turns out, screwed the whole plan.

Old March 28th, 2005, 07:20 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

kaladorn Citizen
Although I agree with some of the comments, keep this in mind: One has to assume that, having had a few coups before (read:many), the Imperium may keep a close eye on fleet movements and a large fleet working its way into the core sector from somewhere else *without a directive from the Emperor* might well tip your hand ahead of time. My guess/rationalization is that Dulinor brought the largest amount of force he felt he could get into the area without tipping his hand.
"Tell them, that from this place we will deliver notice to the parliaments of conquerors that a line has been drawn against the darkness. And we will hold that line, .. no matter the cost." -- Cpt. Sheridan "The Long, Twilight Struggle"

kaladorn Citizen
Although I agree with some of the comments, keep this in mind: One has to assume that, having had a few coups before (read:many), the Imperium may keep a close eye on fleet movements and a large fleet working its way into the core sector from somewhere else *without a directive from the Emperor* might well tip your hand ahead of time. My guess/rationalization is that Dulinor brought the largest amount of force he felt he could get into the area without tipping his hand.
"Tell them, that from this place we will deliver notice to the parliaments of conquerors that a line has been drawn against the darkness. And we will hold that line, .. no matter the cost." -- Cpt. Sheridan "The Long, Twilight Struggle"

kaladorn Citizen
Old March 28th, 2005, 07:34 PM

alanb Citizen
Quote:
Originally posted by kaladorn:
And especially if Dulinor had started on his reforms and positive changes immediately and people had started to feel he was a 'good guy' (and his spin control PR had been running since the coup). Then the 'real strephon' showing up might actually not have been viewed in such a good light by the general populace...
I think that Dulinor's reforms would have undermined his position, not strengthened them.

The logic of them is that the Emperor has the ability to tell the nobility what to do. This, unfortunately for Dulinor, is only true up to a point.

His reforms would be resisted. In many cases, quite legitimately. They would then be enforced. This enforcement would be resented, even if not immediately resisted.

And then Strephon comes along... If he had been clever enough, he would have Brzk on his side, at the very least.

Why Brzk? Well, (a) Dulinor had been moving in on his turf and threatening his charisma; and (b) Brzk is the natural de facto leader of the non-Vilani/Solomani population of the Imperium. In other words, he was the natural leader of the people who would be most threatened by Dulinor's Solomani style reforms.

People have already pointed out that Margaret would be another sore spot for Dulinor. She would also be Strephon's heir if it did turn out that he was alive and could take back the throne. Dulinor would have her surrounded by spies, of course, but she is still likely to join up with a Strephonist revolt if it picked up momentum.

Hmm... I thought I didn't really like "Wounded Colossus" type settings... This one would be interesting.

You could probably do the same kind of thing in the period of usurpations before the Civil War. Or just run a game in the Civil War itself. In these campaigns you would, of course, declare the future "open", that is, that the future is not pre-determined.

Milieu 1000 would work too. Just set your game around the abdication of Styryx and/or a possible attempt by him to reclaim it.

alanb Citizen
Quote:
And especially if Dulinor had started on his reforms and positive changes immediately and people had started to feel he was a 'good guy' (and his spin control PR had been running since the coup). Then the 'real strephon' showing up might actually not have been viewed in such a good light by the general populace...
I think that Dulinor's reforms would have undermined his position, not strengthened them.

The logic of them is that the Emperor has the ability to tell the nobility what to do. This, unfortunately for Dulinor, is only true up to a point.

His reforms would be resisted. In many cases, quite legitimately. They would then be enforced. This enforcement would be resented, even if not immediately resisted.

And then Strephon comes along... If he had been clever enough, he would have Brzk on his side, at the very least.

Why Brzk? Well, (a) Dulinor had been moving in on his turf and threatening his charisma; and (b) Brzk is the natural de facto leader of the non-Vilani/Solomani population of the Imperium. In other words, he was the natural leader of the people who would be most threatened by Dulinor's Solomani style reforms.

People have already pointed out that Margaret would be another sore spot for Dulinor. She would also be Strephon's heir if it did turn out that he was alive and could take back the throne. Dulinor would have her surrounded by spies, of course, but she is still likely to join up with a Strephonist revolt if it picked up momentum.

Hmm... I thought I didn't really like "Wounded Colossus" type settings... This one would be interesting.

You could probably do the same kind of thing in the period of usurpations before the Civil War. Or just run a game in the Civil War itself. In these campaigns you would, of course, declare the future "open", that is, that the future is not pre-determined.

Milieu 1000 would work too. Just set your game around the abdication of Styryx and/or a possible attempt by him to reclaim it.

alanb Citizen
Quote:

Old March 28th, 2005, 07:45 PM

alanb Citizen
Quote:
Originally posted by Jon Crocker:
The hit on Lucan almost succeeded. Varian died, at least. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Clearly Dulinor wasn't able to seize the whole Imperial Palace complex simultaneously. The sheer size of it all, plus presence of the loyal Guard units and similar personnel ensured that.

Sending more than a single assassin would seem like a good idea, but I suppose that getting them through security would be a problem. And sending a backup force once things had come out into the open might not have been possible either. At least not if you wanted them to survive...

We would need decent maps of the Imperial Palace complex, details of the security arrangements, and a whole bunch of stuff to be able to adequately analyse Dulinor's plan. Even then we would need to remember that Dulinor himself wouldn't have had access to all this information, and would be making the best plan possible with the information he had.