Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > The Fleet

The Fleet Ship designs, strategies, and tactics.

Old May 13th, 2020, 10:08 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcap View Post
OK, seriously, I haven't a clue; if the game system says a ship has comms, sensors, and such like, fine and dandy; if it then says a percentage of that avionics and comms fit contains fandanglezobby ten thousand communications ropes, again, fine and dandy. Fine, there are meson communications, EM receivers, radar, Ladar, Maser, and a bucket load of other bits, again, fine and dandy. But do we REALLY need to know how much of that has what space individually?
Well, demonstrably somebody wanted to know that kind of thing, as Traveller was not the only system to get more detailed as time went on.

And don't forget that along with the laments around FF&S, it historically was very well received, not just the Traveller community, but in others as well.

In LBB Traveller, all of those electronics were basically called "The Bridge", and bundled in to a 2% blob along with other control systems.

And we've seen a litany of discussion over the "2% or 20 dTons" rule ever since.

By the time TNE came around, that was all gone, replaced with "A Maser is X big, takes Y watts of power, and costs Z Cr". When the hijacker reveals himself and sets off a grenade in the avionics closest destroying the RADAR control subsystem (which seemed untimely as another ship that would have been readily discovered had the RADAR been working sneaks up - isn't THAT a coincidence!), now we know how much equipment needs to be replaced.

There has always been a battle between abstraction and detail.

The design systems are tied to the combat system. What's the point of mounting lasers on a ship if you can't shoot them. And they wanted a more detailed combat system to deal with sensors and fire control.

They wanted more detail to show a laser lancing punching in off the port bow, burning through the armor, and turning the RADAR control unit to slag, since it's an RP element to have it fixed vs "Electronics - 1" hit. That's why there's hit locations.

Not only is it nice to know that the RADAR was fried, it's nice to know that the bridge occupants weren't. Another RP element.

How successful they were is a different discussion.

But there always seems to be a demand for just a little bit more detail in game systems. Whether its ship design, world design, star system design, or even economic trade models.
Old May 13th, 2020, 05:08 PM

Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++

An example from somewhere more familiar, regarding interpretation of RAW:

Debunking Dispel Magic | Nerd Immersion

So after making my video on Counterspell, it came to my attention that there may be a little confusion about Dispel Magic as well. So I figured I'd clear it up.:*IT ONLY WORKS ON SPELLS* And further more, it only works on spells that have lingering effecting aka spells without an Instantaneous duration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9uCL5WtbHA

Basically, since this is a science fiction roleplaying game, players would like to know exactly how utilizing specific pieces of technology effects gameplay.

Though from experience, I'd say there's some more latitude for Dungeons and Dragons interpretations, than for Warhammer.

I could be wrong, but it sounds like there was some seepage from Magic The Gathering.
Old May 13th, 2020, 08:24 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Redcap Citizen

Yeah, I follow the thinking (wow, this is getting way way waaaaay the heck off topic, but wth and who cares? ).

I'm actually in two minds over this issue; in some ways, it's helpful in-game, as it give the ref a solid feel without having to think about it, as to what the PCs can do with their ship (or whatever).

OTOH, it's a royal pain to always bee looking at charts, or making rolls versus whatever skill (opposed or otherwise), or consulting NPC sheets to see if the PC succeeds or not, and so on.

Two sides, and all that.

Roger's Land Grabs

Knight of Deneb, Reft 3030 Rampart A434200-F
Knight of Deneb, Spin 2124 Lunion A995984-D
Baron Burtson, Spin 2534 Burtson C562667-8
Vicount Extolay, Spin 1711 Extolay B55589A-A
Count Lunion, Spin 2124 Lunion A995984-D
MCG (Extolay), FFW Medal, CCM (1), OSM (3), ISM (10 Years), Wound badge
Old May 14th, 2020, 01:53 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 53
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryton View Post
I imagine that the time includes: Getting all the parts in one place for assembly, waiting for a construction slip to open (what, you think they drop EVERYTHING to make your ship? Get in line!), the time it takes to be built, followed by inspections on EVERYTHING, fixing what needs fixing before being inspected again, and again and again.
No major shipyard of the last 2 centuries has waited for everything to be present... you have things brought while constructing so that you minimize storage issues. One of the most frequent delays used to be wood not arriving on schedule, then it became steel, now it's subassemblies not shipping on time.

Even when the yard at Seward was building ships, the photos show partial hull in the drydock as steel was being hauled off a freighter. And back in the wood hull days, carts of lumber and a partially built hull. (Seward, Alaska, has been a yard since 1780... it stpped building new after WW II.)

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old May 21st, 2020, 02:48 PM
Citizen: SOC-9

BackworldTraveller Citizen

The RAF stopped Kreigsmarine Type XXI sub production less by bombing the yards than by bombing the canals that moved the sub-assemblies to the yards...lots of hulls, none with that vital part. And then the yard is full of part finished hulls so you can't even work on those and then it all goes phutt.
Old May 24th, 2020, 04:18 AM

Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++

That's why I've always maintained that you build capital ships before a conflict.
Old May 24th, 2020, 04:44 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

Redcap Citizen

From your lips, to the Emperor's (or whoever's) ears

Roger's Land Grabs

Knight of Deneb, Reft 3030 Rampart A434200-F
Knight of Deneb, Spin 2124 Lunion A995984-D
Baron Burtson, Spin 2534 Burtson C562667-8
Vicount Extolay, Spin 1711 Extolay B55589A-A
Count Lunion, Spin 2124 Lunion A995984-D
MCG (Extolay), FFW Medal, CCM (1), OSM (3), ISM (10 Years), Wound badge