Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Random Static > Random Static

Random Static This is the forum to post in if you want to discuss non-Traveller related topics. Off-topic subjects found in other forums will usually be moved here if appropriate.

Old September 8th, 2017, 07:41 PM
Citizen: SOC-11

Gallery : 0
Visit MichaelSTee's Blog
MichaelSTee has disabled reputation
Default R.I.P Jerry Pournelle

I went to DragonCon this last weekend, and the last event I did on Monday was a writer's forum with Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, along with two other authors. It was an entertaining hour where mostly Jerry and Larry (well, mostly Jerry) talked about the writing biz. The other two authors, Timothy Zahn and Michael Williamson, for the most parts just sat and enjoyed the cross-talk.
His son Alex was with him, helping him get around. Jerry was using a walker and seemed weak, but I knew he'd had a stroke sometime during the last year or so.
The first event I did on Friday was a science talk by a manager from Blue Origin about getting back into space. I saw an old man asking questions, and soon figured out it was Jerry. Didn't even know he was coming to the Con.

After the Con, I caught a bug on Tuesday, which I attribute to Con Crud.

On Thursday, Jerry posted this on his blog:
"Back from DragonCon with both a cold and the flu. Was supposed to go to the Mars Society meeting in Irvine, but I didnít feel up to it and would have been a burden on Larry who generously offer to drive me. I suspected that would be sure exposure to this ConCrud and since he escaped it he doesnít need it. But mostly I didnít feel up to it."

Just now (Friday 7pm Eastern), I saw this on a news blog:
ALEX POURNELLE TEXTS:
Hi
Iím afraid that Jerry passed away
We had a great time at DragonCon
He did not suffer. Please feel free to post this news.

When I can taste again, I will raise a toast to this wonderful writer, science lover, and patriot.
Rest in Peace, Jerry.
Count Ishiri (Dene 1429), Baronet Jae (Jae Tellona/Spin 2814), Baronet Ambossa (Reft 0410), Knight of the Iridium Throne (Seku/Core 2312), Sir Michael (Lir/Core 2720), Accidentally made Knight of the 3I (Efate/Spin 1705), MCG for Conspicuous Gallantry

Welcome!
To see more of this thread, please login or register.